| FOOD Wendy’s planning Uber-style ‘surge pricing’ where burger prices fluctuate based on demand

Wendy’s is preparing to test an “Uber-style” surge-pricing model where the cost of menu items will fluctuate throughout the day based on demand — meaning a Dave’s burger will cost more during the lunch or dinner rush.

The fast-food chain’s unappetizing plans, set to be tested in a high-stakes rollout next year, will squeeze more money out of already inflation-battered Americans who may not have the option to eat their meals during “off-peak” hours.

Wendy’s CEO Kirk Tanner announced the new system on a call with investors, noting the Ohio-based company will invest $20 million on high-tech menu boards that will be able to update prices in real-time without incurring additional overhead costs.

“As we continue to show the benefit of this technology in our company-operated restaurants, franchisee interest in digital menu boards should increase further supporting sales and profit growth across the system,” said Tanner, who rose to the chief role earlier this month.

Tanner didn’t put a ceiling on how much the dynamic pricing model could spike the cost of a meal or whether the base price would actually fall during slower periods.

It was within the last few months when I saw that Taco Bell locations were beginning to serve beer. Like that story, this one has little to no effect on me.

I think I've eaten from Wendy's in the last year. I know it was in the summer: may have been two summers ago.

Wendy’s is preparing to test an “Uber-style” surge-pricing model where the cost of menu items will fluctuate throughout the day based on demand — meaning a Dave’s burger will cost more during the lunch or dinner rush.

The fast-food chain’s unappetizing plans, set to be tested in a high-stakes rollout next year, will squeeze more money out of already inflation-battered Americans who may not have the option to eat their meals during “off-peak” hours.

Wendy’s CEO Kirk Tanner announced the new system on a call with investors, noting the Ohio-based company will invest $20 million on high-tech menu boards that will be able to update prices in real-time without incurring additional overhead costs.

“As we continue to show the benefit of this technology in our company-operated restaurants, franchisee interest in digital menu boards should increase further supporting sales and profit growth across the system,” said Tanner, who rose to the chief role earlier this month.

Tanner didn’t put a ceiling on how much the dynamic pricing model could spike the cost of a meal or whether the base price would actually fall during slower periods.
Make me wait longer and charge me more...yes, that's a winner right there.

It was within the last few months when I saw that Taco Bell locations were beginning to serve beer. Like that story, this one has little to no effect on me.

I think I've eaten from Wendy's in the last year. I know it was in the summer: may have been two summers ago.
I don't drink, but the one we have sorely needs a beer to just to make it taste good!

Make me wait longer and charge me more...yes, that's a winner right there.
I don't know how much Wendy's charges for their food. I thought the article brought up a good point so let's go with a hypothetical.

How do they roll this out?

Let's say we go up there and grab a single; it's $4.50 today. When they start this locally does that sandwich remain $4.50 and get more expensive? Or, do they drop their prices in their slower periods? IE: A single is now $4.00 and $5.50 during peak hours.

Wendy's is already over priced IMO.
Compared to whom?

I'm guessing a Wendy's Single is $5-5.50 now. What's the Quarter Pounder at McDonalds cost? A dollar cheaper w/o lettuce, tomato, etc.? No clue.

Sonic used to be the place most said was too expensive. It's seems like everyone caught up. I saw a Dbl. Cheeseburger deal the other day at $1.99. I think their regular Cheeseburger combo is $6.00 or so.

Compared to whom?

I'm guessing a Wendy's Single is $5-5.50 now. What's the Quarter Pounder at McDonalds cost? A dollar cheaper w/o lettuce, tomato, etc.? No clue.

Sonic used to be the place most said was too expensive. It's seems like everyone caught up. I saw a Dbl. Cheeseburger deal the other day at $1.99. I think their regular Cheeseburger combo is $6.00 or so.

A single combo here where I work is $10.01, more than Micky D's and Burger King. We also have Rally's, not sure what they are called in the south.. They have very good combo meal deals. My problem is where I work is 15-20 minutes to any of these.

We also have Rally's, not sure what they are called in the south..
Checkers. (Pretty good fries: something I rarely eat.)

Here's a hi-jack. Did you know those buildings were/are put together like a model? Picture, I don't know, a doll house where you'd be putting in sinks, tables, etc.

A few years ago a property not far from me was leased and a Checkers was built. Not opened, built. The guy that owned that location had an issue with one of the three three letter agencies: to the tune of 2.5 million.

It was all settled about a year ago. A crew came in and took that building down, piece by piece, over a four day period. All that was left was the parking lot.

I heard the guy that bought the equipment/building moved it about 30 miles west...up and running in no time.

A single combo here where I work is $10.01, more than Micky D's and Burger King.
It's the best of the three options and if given the choice with an extra buck or two.

Now, this is a biased opinion. My dad had seven in the Flint/Detroit area several years ago.

I do think their burgers taste better. I know they are fresher than the other two options. (BTW, I'm sure you've seen people question or laugh about square patties...and seldom consider how much better something square ships versus something round.) Bacon fresh as well.

Salads? Made every morning and tossed (no pun intended) at night. Same with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions ...

BOTTOM LINE:

Wendy's is the #1 restaurant ... based purely on their X account. They are brutal. "Sir, this is a Wendy's" turned viral.

Our oldest GD told me about 5 or 6 year ago. That Five Guys was way over price. I still want to try, but looking at the price of the bacon cheeseburger. I will pass.
It's a pretty good burger.

I'll say this: better jump on it now. With the push for things like a $20 minimum wage in an era described as marked by "shrinkflation" it'll soon be "Three Guys..."

I haven't been in a Five Guys since probably around 2015 'ish or so... even then they were way overpriced. But, do they still have the peanuts? I always liked that.

Re: Wendy's... the only way I can eat there (and places like McDonalds) now is ordering through their app... there's almost always a deal that knocks off 2 or 3 bucks, or something. Bonus is, they are less likely to fuck up the order (in my experience) and it's one less person you have to deal with in terms of the transaction. Still, the one closest to me takes forever to fulfill an order regardless. So, I usually just end up at Chick-fil-A... espite the terrible location and traffic congestion, I can get in and out of there quicker even if there's 20 orders ahead of mine instead of just 2 at a place like Wendy's.

Side note, I actually went to Jacks for a late lunch today... the one place I don't use their app to order. Went inside to get a burger. Paid cash. Girl shorted me 3 bucks and gave me the wrong burger. And it took 10 minutes. I looked around for hidden cameras to see if I was an on that old Boiling Points TV show.

Back
Top Bottom