| BSB/SB đźĄŽ WCWS 2022: Alabama Season Ends in Tuscaloosa Regional Final)

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Needing to win two games to advance to the NCAA Super Regional round, Alabama defeated Stanford in game six, 4-0, to force a winner-take-all game seven but a late rally by the Cardinal gave the visitors the 6-0 win and ended the Crimson Tide's 2022 season.

Both games were pitcher's duels through the first five innings, with Alabama (44-13) coming through with a four-run sixth in the opener that made the difference and Stanford (39-20) scoring six across the final two innings of the second game. Jenna Lord had three hits between Sunday's two games, including an RBI double in game one that drove in the first run of the game. Kaylee Tow and KJ Haney drove in the remaining runs for the Crimson Tide on an RBI single and two-run double, respectively. In the circle, Montana Fouts (24-8) gave a gutsy performance, throwing 13.1 innings in two starts.

Ally Shipman led the team with six hits in the Regional round, while Lord followed close behind with five and Jenna Johnson with four. Lord led the team with four RBIs, one of eight different players to drive in a run over the weekend.

Neither team could scratch a run across until the top of the sixth when Jenna Lord poked a spinning double down the right field line to drive a run in and make it 1-0. Tow followed with an RBI single to make it 2-0 and then, two batters later, Haney came through with a clutch pinch-hit double to drive in a pair and make it a 4-0 game. That proved enough as Fouts and the Tide defense shut down the Cardinal in their final two innings to secure the shutout and send the series to a deciding game seven.

Game two was another scoreless pitcher's duel before a two-run double from Aly Kaneshiro in the top of the sixth gave the Cardinal the first lead of the game. Stanford loaded the bases with one out in the seventh, adding four more runs to its lead to make it 6-0. Alabama got two on base in the final half-inning but could not plate a run.

From Head Coach Patrick Murphy

"Congratulations to Stanford on a hell of a weekend. They were great for 14 innings against us. When you look back through all the Super Regionals that we've been in we've had to go through Washington, we've gone through Stanford, we've gone through Arizona State, we've gone through a lot of Pac-12 teams in Cal, Stanford, Washington, you name it. They [Stanford] were the first ones to come in and do it. They earned it and I know they will do well next weekend.

"At the beginning of the year when we have our first team meeting, one of the first things I always say is 'the sooner you realize it's not all about you, the better off you'll be'. There's 297 Division I softball teams and only one gets the raise the trophy at the end of the year. What do the other 296 teams carry their hat on? If it's just about winning and losing, that emotion is only going to last for a few hours. You win a big game and four hours later you're wondering where you'll go eat. If you lose, almost the same thing. Here, we're playing for something bigger than ourselves here. The relationships formed between everybody involved in the program, their teammates and coaches and even you guys, that's something we can treasure for a lifetime. That's what we're trying to teach these young ladies."

The transfer portal will be very interesting this off season. This team was/is loaded with talent but the locker room wasn't managed very well which lead to the massive decline over the last 4 or 5 weeks of the season. Obviously Lexi being hurt didn't help things either.

Tournament started with 12 SEC teams and 7 Pac12. There are 3 SEC and 5 Pac12 teams left. What was projected as an All SEC Super Regional between Alabama and ut has turned into an all Pac12 Super Regional between Stanford and Oregon State. Probably should have been 12 Pac12 and 7 SEC to begin with.

I gotta ask. Is anyone else thinking maybe Murphy doesn't have it anymore?

I have the same question. No doubt do I feel he loves Alabama, this program, and the girls. I have no doubts the girls love him back, as does the administration. I do question whether or not he has the edge necessary to pull out all the stops. It's hard for me to see one of the best pitchers in Alabama history come through,and a second really good pitcher be there to support her finally, and us not even make a Super Regional. We should have won another Natty by now in my mind. We've had the players and resources. Been on the cusp a few times, but just didn't have that extra oomph to get over the hump. Like people say, it all lies with the head coach, right?

I gotta ask. Is anyone else thinking maybe Murphy doesn't have it anymore?

IMO Murph's still a solid head coach. He just needs some help in other areas. Assistants have been there a long time and and still doing the same things they did 10 years ago. I know no one likes to hear it but a change in his assistants is needed. I don't think he will do that and if forced by the AD he would probably resign. There's tremendous talent on the team and we will probably see some hit the transfer portal.

I don't necessarily think he would need to change any assistants honestly. I do believe he needs to hire the right outside help and stick with that process throughout. You can't bring in someone for 2 days and expect things to be fixed. Maybe commit the resources to bringing in outside help (mostly with hitting) every 2 weeks and stick with the process throughout the season.

Murph still has a ton of goodwill built up at Bama and within the softball community so I believe he will continue to recruit well and can rebound from this season. He will likely lose a few due to transfers but that seems to be the nature of things now a days.

Reliance on Fouts to pitch 400+ pitches in 20 hours hurts. I have also seen the complete reliance on small ball and lack of power to hurt horribly.

While I agree to a certain extent. We can get players on and sacrifice them to 2nd , it’s that next hit that eludes us. Players seem to always get under the ball no matter the situation. If the opposing pitcher has an effective change you can give it up. Not one player will sit on that pitch even though the pitcher uses it continuously as an out pitch, and back to back often.

I know I’ve said several times about my coach demanding the ball hit the ground b4 it made it to the outfield grass. He would also make us stand in the box and call out pitches with no bat in hand , just to help with pitch recognition and spin. Maybe something like that is needed. Don’t stand in the back of the box then swing at the drop.

A different approach/philosophy in hitting may need a LONG and DEEP look. Developing a rotation and generally just develop our pitchers needs to be strongly considered as well. I don't know if there is something that can be done in strength and conditioning that might help as well. Murphy doesn't need to get complacent and rest on that 2012 Natty though.

The transfer portal will be very interesting this off season. This team was/is loaded with talent but the locker room wasn't managed very well which lead to the massive decline over the last 4 or 5 weeks of the season. Obviously Lexi being hurt didn't help things either.

It's started. Lord's arrival was supposed to start a pipeline from Hewitt to Bama.

That is just the beginning of the transfer portal. Expect 3 big names to enter in the next couple of days.

Why are we expecting so much turnover this offseason? I don't recall much movement until last year. Is it just the transfer portal in general like football, or is there something else causing these girls to want to leave?

From my understanding, there are many who feel Murph has mismanaged the dugout pretty badly this year which will lead to a good bit of turnover. Also, there appears to be an injury that was not properly dealt with that will likely lead to surgery and a transfer.

Softball is the only sport I have "inside info" on and I don't feel it is my place to say who these young ladies are at this time.

IMO why even bring it up? I along with many have our opinions or guesses who will probably transfer but we don’t make it look like we actually know just to make others think we are in the loop.

Back
Top Bottom