| FTBL ULM game No PPV my guess as to why.

rammajamma

Verified Member
I have no source and this is purely speculation, but this thought occured to me as I was coming to work. It was such a good thought that it prompted me to call Roll Tide Randy at work and get his opinion. Sorry about that Randy. Anyway, it has been bothering me trying to figure out why this game would not be on PPV. I mean would this game draw less interest than the game against Western Carolina, Houston, or Duke last year? My guess is that maybe there is a new wrinkle thats going to be put into the offense or defense that Coach Saban wants to keep quiet as much as possible. Limit the game film of it but try it out on ULM?

I took this from another board. Whether it's true or not I don't know, but it makes sense.

As I understand it this is how the PPV works in the SEC.

1. You have 3 "opportunities or time slots" for a PPV game: 11:30, 2:30, and 7:45. These correlate with the time slots of LFS, CBS, and ESPN games during the day.

2. Here is where it gets sticky. Alabama used the 7:45 time slot with the Western Carolina game to start the season. So that one is gone. Alabama used both the 11:30 and 2:30 time slots with the Houston 2:00 homecoming game. This is true even though it only occupied 30 minutes of the 11:30 time slot. I think it would have had to start at 2:30 or later to only count as the 2:30 time slot.

3. So therefore we have no option next weekend for a PPV game. I guess tradition of the homecoming game being a 2:00 game messed it up.

TidePride50 said:
I took this from another board. Whether it's true or not I don't know, but it makes sense.

1. You have 3 "opportunities or time slots" for a PPV game: 11:30, 2:30, and 7:45. These correlate with the time slots of LFS, CBS, and ESPN games during the day.

2. Here is where it gets sticky. Alabama used the 7:45 time slot with the Western Carolina game to start the season. So that one is gone. Alabama used both the 11:30 and 2:30 time slots with the Houston 2:00 homecoming game. This is true even though it only occupied 30 minutes of the 11:30 time slot. I think it would have had to start at 2:30 or later to only count as the 2:30 time slot.

3. So therefore we have no option next weekend for a PPV game. I guess tradition of the homecoming game being a 2:00 game messed it up.

Are you sure about this being a policy of the SEC?

My wife and I have already watched two LSU games this season through PPV that were telecasted at night in the same 7:00 pm time slot (Middle Tennessee State and Louisiana Tech).

bear facts said:
TidePride50 said:

My wife and I have already watched two LSU games this season through PPV that were telecasted at night in the same 7:00 pm time slot (Middle Tennessee State and Louisiana Tech).

Like I said in the initial post, whether it's true or not I don't know. It came from another board.

bear facts said:
TidePride50 said:

There is no limit on the night PPV game and that's the only option available for this game. I may not go to the game but it doesn't bother me at all that the game isn't televised. Why not, for once, make it convenient for the people actually going to the game?

--GAME TIME: Saban said Saturday's ULM game was set for 1:30 p.m. to give the team more time to prepare for Auburn.

"I think for a staff and a players' standpoint," Saban said, "finish the game a little earlier and have a little more recovery time for the next game would be my only response to that."

The early kickoff time means UA is not allowed to offer the game on pay-per-view during a certain window, due to other SEC telecasts.

Mobile Register Article Tuesday

Teams are allowed one exemption per year to provide pay-per-view games that conflict with an SEC game on CBS. Alabama exercised that exemption in the Oct. 6 game against Houston.

Had the game started later in the day, it could be televised.

H'ville Times Article Tuesday

Sort of back to the original topic...

I don't see this as giving any advantage to Bama as we face Auburn in next weekend. I'd imagine, after taking a few days off, Auburn will start on its game preparation today. They'll have their game plan in place. So, any "wrinkles" we might throw in really wouldn't have a bearing unless it was a completely new formation. (which I wouldn't expect)

There will be game film. If history is any indication, you'll be able to watch the replay of the game on CT.

You also have to remember this isn't a situation where Auburn's Athletic Dept. has to wait on "snail mail" to get the film. It's just a matter of clicking "send."

Any chance those wrinkles include the ability to make reads and hit a wide open receiver?

Sorry! I just couldn't help myself. :D

Wrinkles or no, it will be good to get Caldwell, Davis, and Coffee back.

Back
Top Bottom