| FTBL Why do coaches teach their linebackers to be overly aggressive?

IMO, it’s more about the player NOT trusting the coaching and freelancing on his own or trying to compensate for he feels is poor play by someone else, hero ball. They are shown tons of film, walk through, etc, yet come game time, they second guess what they see or what they’ve been taught and they over pursue, allowing for large gains on cutbacks.

IMO, it’s more about the player NOT trusting the coaching and freelancing on his own or trying to compensate for he feels is poor play by someone else, hero ball. They are shown tons of film, walk through, etc, yet come game time, they second guess what they see or what they’ve been taught and they over pursue, allowing for large gains on cutbacks.
That's a great point I overlooked, thank you. And while that can, and has been the case in some instances.... what I mean in this case is the coach blatantly coaching them to do this. I was just at a practice a few days ago where they were teaching them their run fits, and angles to the ball carrier. You know, the drill where they'll have 3 players, or trash cans to simulate the guards and the center. He was coaching them up to play the run, and fit their gaps really aggressively. His coaching point was closing space on the ball carrier, and I agree on that point, but only after you force the runner outside, and take him to the sideline. Doing that inside the box spells nothing but trouble to me. I'm not usually a stat pusher, but for rush defense I usually am. I was curious to see what their stats looked like last season, and they were not very good. They gave up 160 yards a game on average, and in every one of those but 2, they gave up a touchdown run of 20 yards or more.

I feel that stat would be much better for him if he'd just change that up little bit, he's got solid players at the position.

That's a great point I overlooked, thank you. And while that can, and has been the case in some instances.... what I mean in this case is the coach blatantly coaching them to do this. I was just at a practice a few days ago where they were teaching them their run fits, and angles to the ball carrier. You know, the drill where they'll have 3 players, or trash cans to simulate the guards and the center. He was coaching them up to play the run, and fit their gaps really aggressively. His coaching point was closing space on the ball carrier, and I agree on that point, but only after you force the runner outside, and take him to the sideline. Doing that inside the box spells nothing but trouble to me. I'm not usually a stat pusher, but for rush defense I usually am. I was curious to see what their stats looked like last season, and they were not very good. They gave up 160 yards a game on average, and in every one of those but 2, they gave up a touchdown run of 20 yards or more.
Here's a reason I looked at efficiency more than numbers. While Florida only gave up about 30-35 more yards per game than Bama, they gave up twice as many touchdowns. YPG isn't a good indicator of defensive success in my view.

Here's a reason I looked at efficiency more than numbers. While Florida only gave up about 30-35 more yards per game than Bama, they gave up twice as many touchdowns. YPG isn't a good indicator of defensive success in my view.
In my opinion, it's one of the only stats I feel can translate to on the field success. If teams can't run the ball on you, you make them one dimensional.

Be explaining the “ZERO” theory of more aggressive play … how an extra “0” can easily be added to the salary on a contract…it can turn 1 million into 10 million , ect ect…

Personally, from my experience as a former coach, it was about trying to “teach a kid to be aggressive and attack rather than be passive and catch” the ball carrier as he comes through the hole. Some kids already have that aggressive mentality, but they allow the proper mechanics of tackling to go out the door, trying to get the “kill shot aka big hit!” They drop their head- losing sight of the runner, don’t dip their hips and explode up and through the ball carrier, and finally, they don’t bring their arms.

Personally, from my experience as a former coach, it was about trying to “teach a kid to be aggressive and attack rather than be passive and catch” the ball carrier as he comes through the hole. Some kids already have that aggressive mentality, but they allow the proper mechanics of tackling to go out the door, trying to get the “kill shot aka big hit!” They drop their head- losing sight of the runner, don’t dip their hips and explode up and through the ball carrier, and finally, they don’t bring their arms.
Again, I have no problem whatsoever with a linebacker being aggressive. What I mean is them shooting their gap, having the ball carrier in the backfield, and missing him. Remember how Reuben would play his runs? That's the way I would teach it.

Last edited:
What I mean by that is, Reuben was a fantastic player against the run. He was the best downhill linebacker we've had under Saban in my opinion. But he rarely ever over ran plays, fit his wrong gaps, or got beat by a blocker. He'd fit his gap, come downhill, but would always keep his shoulders squared, and maintain low pad level throughout the play. Hed meet the runner in the hole, keep his feet moving, and roll his hips as he made contact.

Something Ive failed to mention is this. If a coach doesn't feel like his players are capable of playing with the technique I've mentioned, and has to find another way for them to be successful. Then I'm all for that. I would just try to install that first, then a different technique if it didn't work with the personell I have.

Back
Top Bottom