| FTBL UF Investigating Meyer Recruiting Issue

bamascott2

Verified Member
This is probably not going anywhere as far as the NCAA is concerned, but Urban pushes rules to the absolute limit, IMO. He was extremely upset when the text messaging limits went into effect last year...

[JUCO transfer Carl] Moore, a wide receiver and the No. 1 prospect coming out of the junior college ranks, signed with Florida on Dec. 19 and enrolled in classes earlier this month. [Gymnast Maranda] Smith, who competed for UCLA in 2006, attended Sierra (Calif.) Community College last school year with Moore.

The recruitment of Moore and Smith became an issue after a story appeared in The Gainesville Sun on Jan. 16. In the story, Smith said Meyer began calling her hoping it would help lure Moore to Gainesville if she signed with UF.

"I used to talk to him every day back in November when he was recruiting Carl," Smith said in the story. "He kept asking how Carl was doing, and (he) wanted me to come here and do gymnastics."

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20080123/NEWS/935531926/1090/gators01

So you can't recruit one player in one sport in hopes that another player in another sport will come too?? Thats kinda lame..... If its against the rules then I guess you shouldn't do it... but its a pretty god idea otherwise. IMO

Nate said:
So you can't recruit one player in one sport in hopes that another player in another sport will come too?? Thats kinda lame..... If its against the rules then I guess you shouldn't do it... but its a pretty god idea otherwise. IMO

That's not the case, the football coach os not supposed to be recruiting for the gymnastics team.

Here's you a little more press on Meyer's "recruiting tactics".I don't know how much of this is true, but it doesn't sound too good.

Ever hear of the expression “where there’s smoke, there’s fire?” Well there certainly is a lot of smoke emanating from the Urban Meyer School of Recruiting these days. Below are excepts of articles that are linked on the EDSBS site. Surprising actually, when you consider that the EDSBS site is run by a couple of Gator alums ……..

The LSU staff is currently agitated over the recent treatment shown towards their prized-recruit Patrick Johnson. PJ, the nation’s top cornerback prospect, was shown a lot of love by Meyer until the day he committed to LSU. Meyer has since been credited with initiating an NCAA inquiry into PJ’s ACT score, which jumped from 16 to 22 over the summer. Johnson called the UF staff and CUM in particular “cowards” because of the unfair tactic they used in notifying the NCAA behind his back.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p....xml&coll=1

When Sports Illustrated ran an article about Meyer’s tactics, they quoted LSU recruit Terrance Tolliver as telling a Houston TV situation, "Every time (Florida recruiters) came, they said LSU doesn't qualify its players.''

S.I. quoted Florida coach Meyer as saying, "What some people perceive as negative recruiting is often factual. We just present statistics to people - our graduation rates and how we qualify our guys compared with all SEC schools. We would not single out LSU.''

Darryl Stonum, the 4-star texas recruit, was the focus of a hotly contested recruiting battle that didn’t cease when Stonum publicly announced his commitment to Michigan . The Wolverine site admin had this to say:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He arrived in Ann Arbor last night and is now in classes. Sometime today he will meet with new receivers coach Tony Dews. He officially followed through on his commitment despite the staff transition and the replacement of Erik Campbell at receivers coach without a hitch, right? Not quite. The blitzkrieg was on as soon as Rodriguez was named headman in Ann Arbor .
As Stonum revealed in the video interview, numerous suitors were telling him he’d never fit into the new offense. He even gave a cursory look at Arizona State and Cal .

However, one school's persistence trumped all others and they were definitely the biggest threat to the Maize & Blue. The University of Florida stayed on the four star pass-catcher well all the way through. Things crescendoed recently after a conversation with Urban Meyer. According to Stonum, Meyer had a compelling reason why he should become a Gator.

“He told me that he talked to Coach Carr and Coach Soup and that they told him that I would be a much better fit in the Florida offense than I would be in the one at Michigan ,” Stonum recalled. “I thought, ‘wow, my coaches are selling me out.’ I confronted them about it. I asked Coach Carr and Coach Soup about it and they said they never talked to that guy and that there was no way they ever said anything like that and that they think I should be a Wolverine. I believed them. Right then, I knew just how Florida rolled.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to one recruiting service, Meyer’s handling of the recruitment 6’-7”, 280 lb OT prospect Zebrie Sanders is typical of Meyer’s “dirty” tactics. Rumors have it that following UF’s bowl game, Zebrie Sanders told Meyer he was ready to commit to UF. Meyer then asked Sanders to make several “positive” recruiting calls to other prospects as a silent UF commit in order to assist with UF recruiting efforts. Last week, when Sanders decided to publicly commit to UF, he was told by Meyer to notify other programs he was going with UF. Once Sanders told other programs he was going to be a Gator, Meyer subsequently told Sanders they “didn’t have room for him. Needless to say, Sanders felt burned by Meyer over the incident and is attempting to re-establish communications with several programs that he cut ties with.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/cont...da_rejects.html

One anonymous source known as a respected, independent recruiting expert had this to say:

"In the mean time Meyer has completely compromised the integrity of the kid he is recruiting, encouraging him to lie, to deceive, and to manipulate. Think about it. Urban is asking a 17-year-old to deceive not only another school's coaches, but also his own parents, his high school coach and members of the media in order to maintain the charade. The approach is as cowardly as it is effective. Rather than engage in an open competition for a player, Meyer lurks in the shadows. He plants seeds of doubt. He spews particularly effective venom because he "knows" Notre Dame from the inside. But because he swears the kid to secrecy the slanders go unrebutted. Meyer's methods resemble nothing so much as a pedophile's grooming techniques. It's low and slimy and completely corrupt."

bamascott2 said:
This is probably not going anywhere as far as the NCAA is concerned, but Urban pushes rules to the absolute limit, IMO. He was extremely upset when the text messaging limits went into effect last year...

[JUCO transfer Carl] Moore, a wide receiver and the No. 1 prospect coming out of the junior college ranks, signed with Florida on Dec. 19 and enrolled in classes earlier this month. [Gymnast Maranda] Smith, who competed for UCLA in 2006, attended Sierra (Calif.) Community College last school year with Moore.

The recruitment of Moore and Smith became an issue after a story appeared in The Gainesville Sun on Jan. 16. In the story, Smith said Meyer began calling her hoping it would help lure Moore to Gainesville if she signed with UF.

"I used to talk to him every day back in November when he was recruiting Carl," Smith said in the story. "He kept asking how Carl was doing, and (he) wanted me to come here and do gymnastics."

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20080123/NEWS/935531926/1090/gators01

She can't make up her mind if she talked to Meyer or not.

Gymnast Maranda Smith denied Wednesday that she had regular telephone contact with UF football coach Urban Meyer while he was recruiting her boyfriend to play wide receiver.
http://www.alligator.org/articles/2008/01/24/sports/gymnastics/gym.txt[/quote]

So if he calls to speak to carl and she answers the phone and he says "sure would like to see you at Florida also" thats a violation?

Swamptick said:
"No sir....I don't like it." - Mr. Horse
Meyer, You eeeeeeeediot!

strangle.jpg

Back
Top Bottom