| FTBL Tuscaloosa tornado devastation, Javier Arenas featured on Sports Illustrated cover

doemasters

The Rowdy One
Staff
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama -- This week's Sports Illustrated cover features former Alabama defensive back Javier Arenas standing in the middle of the aftermath of the April 27 tornado that devastated Tuscaloosa.

SI's Lars Anderson has written a feature on the role Alabama players and coaches will play in the rebuilding process for Tuscaloosa and the rest of the state.

The caption in the photo reads, "Javier Arenas surveys what's left of the street where he lives."

ESPN reported that Alabama head coach Nick Saban said he hopes the football team can serve as a buoy for the city as it moves on from the tragedy.

sialabama.jpg

Really good article (other than the line about the bodies on the roof of the mall, that was false and I'm pretty surprised SI printed it)... but the article does a great job painting a picture for everyone of what was going on late that afternoon... and the power of the tornado.

how bad did the people get at the mall or did people know how bad it was outside

Most of the folks were in a corridor/shelter area and didn't know how bad it was until they came out. Some that worked there though watched it approach, and ran for cover when it got close. A couple of them told me that they thought they were gonna die. After it was over with, most folks were walking around like zombies in the parking lot for the next hour. Reminded me of seeing folks walk around the streets of NYC on all those TV clips after the 9/11 attacks.

The SI curse hits before the cover is shot. Go figure.

High cost to pay to show that world what people do when Bad things happen to Good people. But these are stories that need to be highlighted.

Back
Top Bottom