| FTBL Tulane needed to happen

jaycoach

Verified Member
I thought the game last week would probably turn out like it did.You can't put as many freshmen on the field and expect to be consistent from the beginning of the year. Their talent is pretty mature, their mental maturity is lacking. That maturity comes with game experience. All Saturday did was wake these young guys up to the fact that if you dont prepare yourself mentally and physically you will not be successful. It was a good lesson that ended in a win. By the midway point of the season look to see this maturity start to build. Every win early is a plus. I know the schedule gets tougher but we will get better as the season moves along if we stay healthy. It, after all, is a process.. Right?

I agree with just about everything you said. This type of game was going to happen. It happened early against a lesser opponent and we still got the victory. This will be a lesson for the young guys as well as the older ones (like they need another one after ULM :roll: ). My only complaint is I paid $22 for the game on Gameplan. :evil:

My only counter to this is that it was a lot of the freshman who rally for the drive in the 4th quarter. The only offensive touchdown. It seemed like to me the leadership was the young ones not the seniors.

BamaHubMan said:
My only counter to this is that it was a lot of the freshman who rally for the drive in the 4th quarter. The only offensive touchdown. It seemed like to me the leadership was the young ones not the seniors.

I dont care who shows up in the 4th as long as someone does! haha

But great point...your right!

Used to be "a win is a win is a win." Used to be a two-touchdown win over anybody was reason to celebrate. No more. Now, if you don't beat the K-rap out of teams like ULM and Tulane, everybody gets worried. Someone in another post pointed out that we just barely beat LA Tech in 1992. That season turned out OK as I remember.

'Course, we do need to play well, no matter the opponent. I'm confident Coach Saban will work it out.

CrimsonPirate said:
Used to be "a win is a win is a win." Used to be a two-touchdown win over anybody was reason to celebrate. No more. Now, if you don't beat the K-rap out of teams like ULM and Tulane, everybody gets worried. Someone in another post pointed out that we just barely beat LA Tech in 1992. That season turned out OK as I remember.

'Course, we do need to play well, no matter the opponent. I'm confident Coach Saban will work it out.

I agree on the win. I think some of us (or maybe just me :wink: ) are a little concerned about the road ahead if we play the way we did the other night. I think we knew the let-down could happen. I just don't think we were ready for the bottom to almost fall out. I'm thrilled that it didn't, and I hope we don't experience another game like that one.

I remember the 92 game as well. I was there. Only touchdown was a 62 yard punt return by the original deuce. (David Palmer) It was the first Alabama game I had ever got to go to in person. I remember my dad thinking.....wow we were supposed to be the stink out of this team. I remember reading an article ( I think it was the SI mag which covered all of our opponents/special edition) at the end of the year. Jay Barker said that the LA tech game was one of, if not the most, difficult defenses faced all year. Either way .....I'm not worried. We have seen how well these teams can play under CNS. We know that Bama is about a year away from being really good and about 2 years away from being dominant from re-loading.

All is well. We might have a season better than expected. We might not. We might have what everyone is expecting. Who knows? I know that I'm not worried. We are fine. This is year 2 of the process. Championships don't come overnight!

weezyfbaby00 said:
I agree with just about everything you said. This type of game was going to happen. It happened early against a lesser opponent and we still got the victory. This will be a lesson for the young guys as well as the older ones (like they need another one after ULM :roll: ). My only complaint is I paid $22 for the game on Gameplan. :evil:

Look, if you hadn't paid the $22, how could you complain with any confidence? :wink: :D

jaycoach said:
I thought the game last week would probably turn out like it did.You can't put as many freshmen on the field and expect to be consistent from the beginning of the year. Their talent is pretty mature, their mental maturity is lacking. That maturity comes with game experience. All Saturday did was wake these young guys up to the fact that if you dont prepare yourself mentally and physically you will not be successful. It was a good lesson that ended in a win. By the midway point of the season look to see this maturity start to build. Every win early is a plus. I know the schedule gets tougher but we will get better as the season moves along if we stay healthy. It, after all, is a process.. Right?
;tr

Lets recap. 1) We won. 2) After a brutal summer and beating a TOP ten team, a young team "taking a breath" didn't cost us...so cheap lesson learned. 3) We have our "taking a breath" behind us, so look out WKU. 4) This "issue" resulted in us gaining in the polls.

BamaDelta said:
CrimsonPirate said:

I agree on the win. I think some of us (or maybe just me :wink: ) are a little concerned about the road ahead if we play the way we did the other night. I think we knew the let-down could happen. I just don't think we were ready for the bottom to almost fall out. I'm thrilled that it didn't, and I hope we don't experience another game like that one.

The one good thing is that, even as bad as we played, the outcome was never really in doubt. In week one, we looked like we had completely bought into Saban's philosophy - hook, line, and sinker. Week 2 showed us that we seem to still be, in the words of Saban, "playing up to the good teams and down to the bad teams". I sure hope he gets them straightened out and ready to play consistently each week.

Week 2 showed us that we seem to still be, in the words of Saban, "playing up to the good teams and down to the bad teams". I sure hope he gets them straightened out and ready to play consistently each week.
I think that its going to be extremely hard for CNS to get this mentality out of their heads, especially on some of these historically weaker teams, like Tulane or Ole Miss... i think its hard to get any team out of that kind of mentality when they have just beat a top 25 team, especially with the way we dominated Clemson... Look at WV vs. ECU this past week, which ECU is looking really good though.. bad example... look at Ohio State vs. Ohio... they had that type of mentality like this teams going to be a pushover and were looking forward to USC and almost got knocked off... IMHO we're pretty lucky that we didn't have another LA Monroe... IMO I'm glad this game happened with Tulane instead of an SEC team like Kentucky or Ole Miss... but the only thing that mattered was that we got the big ole dubya... i just hope (and i think he can) that CNS can keep the players heads up and thinking "were better than what we played" and not thinking "wow were not as good as we thought we were"... Guess its up to the coaches and the leaders of the team to insure that type of mentality does not start and if it does to stop it...

milliondollarfan19 said:
Week 2 showed us that we seem to still be, in the words of Saban, "playing up to the good teams and down to the bad teams". I sure hope he gets them straightened out and ready to play consistently each week.
I think that its going to be extremely hard for CNS to get this mentality out of their heads, especially on some of these historically weaker teams, like Tulane or Ole Miss... i think its hard to get any team out of that kind of mentality when they have just beat a top 25 team, especially with the way we dominated Clemson... Look at WV vs. ECU this past week, which ECU is looking really good though.. bad example... look at Ohio State vs. Ohio... they had that type of mentality like this teams going to be a pushover and were looking forward to USC and almost got knocked off... IMHO we're pretty lucky that we didn't have another LA Monroe... IMO I'm glad this game happened with Tulane instead of an SEC team like Kentucky or Ole Miss... but the only thing that mattered was that we got the big ole dubya... i just hope (and i think he can) that CNS can keep the players heads up and thinking "were better than what we played" and not thinking "wow were not as good as we thought we were"... Guess its up to the coaches and the leaders of the team to insure that type of mentality does not start and if it does to stop it...

The only thing is that we aren't Ohio State or WV. I think the guys got their "thumb smashed in the door" and will take Tulane as a lesson learned. Many teams(ULM) may not have as much tradition or championships, but that doesn't mean you should take them lightly. CNS is a great motivator, but until a player buys into what CNS is preaching, there will be little if no improvement. This team this year has shown that it can be done and has young players that want to win BADLY. RTR

BamaFan19 said:
milliondollarfan19 said:

The only thing is that we aren't Ohio State or WV. I think the guys got their "thumb smashed in the door" and will take Tulane as a lesson learned. Many teams(ULM) may not have as much tradition or championships, but that doesn't mean you should take them lightly. CNS is a great motivator, but until a player buys into what CNS is preaching, there will be little if no improvement. This team this year has shown that it can be done and has young players that want to win BADLY. RTR
I didn't mean to come across as meaning that they won't learn from this. I agree with the "thumb smashed in the door" analogy. I just think, especially IMO with the younger players, the team is (maybe not as a whole but just a few of them) not performing to/or exceeding their level of talent/expectations. But like i said before the players need to keep their chin up and thinking "were better than what we played" and not thinking "wow were not as good as we thought we were." because IMHO once this enters a players head it's going to be hard to change that thought.
CNS is a great motivator
I agree with this 100% and that's why I think all of our players are thinking more on the positive ("were better than what we played") side of these types of thoughts instead of the negative ("wow were not as good as we thought we were.") because they know and we fans know they are a much better team than what they showed Saturday.

milliondollarfan19 said:
BamaFan19 said:
milliondollarfan19 said:

I didn't mean to come across as meaning that they won't learn from this. I agree with the "thumb smashed in the door" analogy. I just think, especially IMO with the younger players, the team is (maybe not as a whole but just a few of them) not performing to/or exceeding their level of talent/expectations. But like i said before the players need to keep their chin up and thinking "were better than what we played" and not thinking "wow were not as good as we thought we were." because IMHO once this enters a players head it's going to be hard to change that thought.
CNS is a great motivator
I agree with this 100% and that's why I think all of our players are thinking more on the positive ("were better than what we played") side of these types of thoughts instead of the negative ("wow were not as good as we thought we were.") because they know and we fans know they are a much better team than what they showed Saturday.

(che) It's ok man, the only thing I want is for Bama to win every game. Saban knows what these guys can do, or he wouldn't have recruited them. The returning players know what's expected by CNS and the staff. The great thing is that they're actually buying into it this year.

Back
Top Bottom