| FTBL Timeout During Field Goal Attempts

ACL11190

Verified Member
this has to stop, one of the cheapest things i have ever seen in college football, it would be fine if he called it while they were lining up, but while hes kicking it??..they have to do something about that, regardless we are 5-2 so im happy about that

I just don't think they can do anything about that. They've had that ability all along, for some reason though this yr has had more instances than any other season I can remember.

Eli Gold was quoting someone's idea on the subject today. He didn't say who the broadcaster was, but the idea wasn't bad. Basically, make a rule that on kicks, timeout must be called before the center puts his hands on the ball. I'm not sure that the NCAA would go for it, but it wasn't a terrible idea IMO.

Wiseace615 said:
Eli Gold was quoting someone's idea on the subject today. He didn't say who the broadcaster was, but the idea wasn't bad. Basically, make a rule that on kicks, timeout must be called before the center puts his hands on the ball. I'm not sure that the NCAA would go for it, but it wasn't a terrible idea IMO.

That's not a fair rule for the defense because of the possibility of a fake. For instance, if the defense is supposed to go all out to block the kick and the coach then suspects fake, not allowing a time out would prevent him from getting his team in the right coverage.

BarnBurner said:
Wiseace615 said:

That's not a fair rule for the defense because of the possibility of a fake. For instance, if the defense is supposed to go all out to block the kick and the coach then suspects fake, not allowing a time out would prevent him from getting his team in the right coverage.

Very good point. Like I said, it's a horrible idea. :D

I think that only players should be able to call time outs. Its that these timeouts are coming from the coaches on the sidelines and only the one official can see it. If the players call it at least its visable enough to determine if it was called in time or not.

TerryP said:
What about timeouts when a shooter is on the line...down by one and a few seconds left on the clock? Basketball terms on a football forum, I know...

Thats a bit different in that once the ball is handed to the shooter its in play. (no timeout could be called)

Lenny Kozlowski said:
I think that only players should be able to call time outs. Its that these timeouts are coming from the coaches on the sidelines and only the one official can see it. If the players call it at least its visable enough to determine if it was called in time or not.

Again unfair because it erodes the coach's ability to alter the coverage. And personally, I think that suggestion is unfair to the players too because it but's in their hands the job of professional. If the kicking team doesn't want the opposing coach to call time out they should hurry the snap and get the ball in motion before anyone even has the chance to call time-out.

ACL11190 said:
this has to stop, one of the cheapest things i have ever seen in college football, it would be fine if he called it while they were lining up, but while hes kicking it??..they have to do something about that

My thoughts exactly.

It's happened in college and the NFL. It needs to stop.

You could make the arguement that it gives the kicker a "mulligan" if the timeout is called.

I think it's a practice that right now is popular because it has appeared to work in some high profile situations. Eventually, coaches assistants will do the math and discover that it makes no descernable difference whether the timeout is called or not. It will go out of style and we'll move on to something else.

BarnBurner said:
Wiseace615 said:

How about "Time out must be called with enough time for the play to be halted prior to the center snapping the ball. Intentionally calling timeout where the snap and kick will occur will result in a 5 yard delay of game penalty against the defense.

That would fix the foolish bullcrap.

HiTide said:
I just don't think they can do anything about that. They've had that ability all along, for some reason though this yr has had more instances than any other season I can remember.

It's the sexy trend. Heck, it gets teams on ESPN half the time.

Its a viable option in my opinion. A field goal attempt is just another play being run.

And, as we've seen this year, it has not worked in any examples I can think of. (correct me if I'm wrong).

Hey...it even allowed the Auburn kicker to boom not just one but two long field goals to beat Florida. He deserved to run down the field doing the chomp. :)

The rule sucks as of now but there is not much anyone can do about it. Plus Tiffen missed the first one so he had a chance to make it again. Also every team is allowed to do this so there is really no unfair advantage. It does seem very bitch-like though.

I think the rule should stay the same. Just because a play starts before the officials can get everything halted doesn't invalidate the timeout. If the rule changed to "you can't call timeout when the center has his hands on the ball", offenses would start having their snapper get in his stance to prevent a timeout, placing the defense at a possible disadvantage.

There are some rules that, when changed, are leveraged with NASCAR-like fervor, such as the kickoff episode (clock starting at time of kick) at the expense of Penn State. The timeout just prior to snap is just a new twist on an existing rule.

RTR,

Tim

Back
Top Bottom