| CURRENT EVENTS This should be news of the weird. St. Louis mayor want to hold business owners accountable for crimes on their property.

ST. LOUIS (TND) — St. Louis Mayor Tishaura Jones plans to hold local businesses accountable for violent crime outside their establishments, she told Action News 5.

Her comments came while attending a meeting of the Black Mayors’ Coalition on Crime. The group, launched this week by Memphis, Tennessee Mayor Paul Young, aims to “harness the collective power of black mayors across the nation to fight crime” and includes 21 leaders of cities across the country.

We have a lot of violence around convenience stores and gas stations,” Jones said of St. Louis. “So how can we hold those business owners accountable and also bring down crime? Some of the things we’re already doing, we’re finding that other mayors are doing as well.”

Her statement comes as the area is currently embroiled in controversy following the brutal attack of a 15-year-old girl. Kaylee Gain could be seen on video convulsing on the ground after being battered and having her head slammed against the pavement by another girl. Family lawyer Bryan Kaemmerer told TND Gain suffered a fractured skull, brain bleeding and brain swelling as a result of the attack.

A GoFundMe page for the teen has raised nearly $350,000 as of Monday, with at least $10,000 of that total coming from billionaire Pershing Square CEO Bill Ackman.

St Louis has a higher crime rate than other metro areas of similar size. The city received a 6.9 out of 10 on U.S. News and World Report’s crime index. It was rated the nation’s second most dangerous city after Detroit, Michigan by CBS News in 2020.

Will holding businesses who are victims of out of control crime responsible for the crime solve the crime problem?

A strangely worded response but I get that point. I also have to concede there's an outlier.

Since I've been in Charleston I know of two bars I've seen shut down because of violence. One case I know VERY well.

Quick synopsis: Ownership changed hands. New owner starts another business and spends less time on site. The clientele changed as soon as the sun set.

Fights, stabbings, shootings, killings ... after awhile North Charleston Police essentially shut them down.

I understand the problem. IF an owner encourages these things they should be held accountable. BUT, I know of NO business owner that wants this. NONE.

If you were fortunate enough to avoid Poli-Sci 200+ level courses let me introduce to a term; or rather, a thought.

Anarcho-tyranny. In layman's terms, the government coming after you for complaining about, or defending yourself from, crime. All the while letting the offenders walk free.

So a small business owner gets sued to hell and back if he intervenes and the violence (most certainly) worsens, or he gets fined if the fight happens at all. These dumbass politicians don't get why companies are leaving their cities, do they?
That's almost two different points.

I can't wrap my mind around either.

Their brand of logic:

"If business are held accountable and made to answer for crimes in front of their property, and those business go under due to attorney fees and/or being sued by every victim's family or the cities, then the crimes can't happen in front of those businesses anymore since they're not there. No more business, no more crime in front of businesses."

So a small business owner gets sued to hell and back if he intervenes and the violence (most certainly) worsens, or he gets fined if the fight happens at all. These dumbass politicians don't get why companies are leaving their cities, do they?
The absolutely do not. And they'll never understand it, either. But what they really want is minority-owned businesses instead of those owned by white people. If only the businesses were minority-owned, then the senseless violence would stop. :unsure:

They should hold the city government accountable for anything that happens in their jurisdictions or city limits, because of their bullshit gun control laws..

Back
Top Bottom