| FTBL This is on of the people keeping a playoff from happening

• Thread starter imported_porkchop
  • Start date
I

imported_porkchop

The guy's a rube. He'd rather keep the status quo than have the best teams actually in some sort of playoff to determine the championship. He's smart enough to know that if his Big 10 Ohio State Buckeyes can continue to live off name-recognition alone and make it into a big game (no matter how ludicrous it seems) then he's backing the current system lock, stock and barrel.

There's barely a person in the country anymore that believes these lousy Big 10 teams deserve to be, or could actually compete with the elite (SEC, USC) for a national championship it it were determined by merit. With the current system however, certain teams are given free passes and don't have to actually earn it.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122287435208094393.html

College Football = Greatest 3 months in sports
College Basketball = A great playoff, irrelevant regular season

I hate the idea of a playoff system. We already have the NFL, why try to duplicate what they have.

My nightmare is to one day watch the Iron Bowl and have one or both of the teams resting starters in the 2nd half because they have a playoff game the next week.

pimpsahoy said:

I hate the idea of a playoff system. We already have the NFL, why try to duplicate what they have.

My nightmare is to one day watch the Iron Bowl and have one or both of the teams resting starters in the 2nd half because they have a playoff game the next week.

College bball teams don't do that unless they're in the round of 64. In college football it would be more like a round of 8 or 12. I don't see teams resting starters unless they happen to be in the top 5 or so.

Just like bball, or the NFL, you have to actually make it before you can go resting people.

porkchop said:
pimpsahoy said:

College bball teams don't do that unless they're in the round of 64. In college football it would be more like a round of 8 or 12. I don't see teams resting starters unless they happen to be in the top 5 or so.

Just like bball, or the NFL, you have to actually make it before you can go resting people.

So it is still in the realm of possibility? I would imagine that the conference champion would automatically be in the playoffs. I would also imagine that there wouldn't be a conference championship game either. If both of those things were true then all it would take is for Alabama to go into the Iron Bowl with the conference championship already won and then decide that they'd rather win the National Championship than the Iron Bowl.

Back
Top Bottom