| FTBL This is Funny.

AlabamaSlammer

Verified Member
Louisiana State coach Les Miles, whose team is a popular pick to play in this season's BCS title game opposite USC, is calling into question the strength of the Pacific 10 Conference, suggesting the Trojans should be a cinch to make it to the Jan. 7 game in New Orleans because of a suspect league schedule.

"I can tell you this, that they have a much easier road to travel," Miles said. "They’re going to play real knockdown drag-outs with UCLA and Washington, Cal-Berkeley, Stanford — some real juggernauts — and they’re going to end up, it would be my guess, in some position so if they win a game or two, that they’ll end up in the title [game].

"I would like that path for us. I think the SEC provides much stiffer competition."

Miles was just getting started.

"I can tell you that I would like nothing better than to play USC for the title," he said.

Miles made the comments during an interview last week on New Orleans radio station WWL. The comments were reported by Carl DuBois of the Baton Rouge Advocate.

Miles didn't limit his smack to the Pac-10 and USC. He also took this shot at the Big 12:

"The Big 12 is a conference that might have two really pretty good teams, maybe four. I think the Pac-10 may have one or two really good ones. The ACC certainly, arguably, has some quality teams.

"I don't think there's any conference out there that has as many quality teams as ours."

Miles, who played and coached at Michigan and is voter in the USA Today poll, also said he voted Florida over Michigan last season after the Gators defeated Arkansas in the SEC title game, helping to put Florida in the title game over the Wolverines. He talked with several friends in Michigan afterward.

"Guys who were at my wedding, college roommates, said, 'What the heck are you doing?' You had to do what was right. I really feel like I’d stand by that vote every time."

Miles also said that if there were an eight-team playoff to decide the national champion, "There'd probably be at least four SEC teams in the top eight."

Miles, a native of Elyria, Ohio, was asked if it's a matter of upbringing to hold the position that "something must be done about USC," the most frequent Big Ten opponent in the Rose Bowl.

"Should something be done about SC?" Yeah. It might just have to be the system, first, though."

i can't argue with anything that Miles said. in fact, i find it refreshing to hear such candid comments from a coach because i can't imagine any way that those comments could benefit Miles, LSU, or the SEC at large. i just love when visible figures express their true feelings regardless of what the public thinks.

I think it adds to the hype of preseason, which is a big deal considering the preseason polls mean alot. The summer is boring, and ESPN ran with his comment from a NOLA radio interview. I hope LSU-USC gets treated like USC-Texas from 2005. Nobody can deny the media influence has on a team and its potential matchups.

GoodScotch said:
I think it adds to the hype of preseason, which is a big deal considering the preseason polls mean alot. The summer is boring, and ESPN ran with his comment from a NOLA radio interview. I hope LSU-USC gets treated like USC-Texas from 2005. Nobody can deny the media influence has on a team and its potential matchups.

that's true, wasn't thinking about that.

Without a question, I agree with Les Miles' arguments, It's something evident that PAC-10 is poor in front of the SEC conference but I'm with musso too. I think this type of comments doesn't benefit his reputation, and in the last months, in my opinion, Miles looks something arrogant... :roll:

RTR

firestorm said:
Without a question, I agree with Les Miles' arguments, It's something evident that PAC-10 is poor in front of the SEC conference but I'm with musso too. I think this type of comments doesn't benefit his reputation, and in the last months, in my opinion, Miles looks something arrogant... :roll:

RTR

His reputation is making comments like this. Look no further back than his tenure at Ok. St. and you'll find him saying the same type of thing...except, then, his comments were directed towards OU and Stoops.

Like most of the rest of you I have to agree with Coach Miles on this one. I have no love for the man and hope we spank the Tigers and keep them out of contention this year....but he is right. He should have added "The champion of the SEC bowl game, should play for the National Title."

Even though he may be right, Les might be smarter if he kept his mouth shut and won all the games on his schedule before he says anything. I have a feeling his team can't do that this season either.

reger60 said:
Even though he may be right, Les might be smarter if he kept his mouth shut and won all the games on his schedule before he says anything. I have a feeling his team can't do that this season either.

Yep, I agree. I think the last coach to talk like this was Tubby right before AU got spanked by the piggies. :)

reger60 said:

He did not say LSU would win all of its games. He said USC has an easier road to the NC.

Miles also said that if there were an eight-team playoff to decide the national champion, "There'd probably be at least four SEC teams in the top eight."
Could this be one reason that the powers that be don't want a playoff?

Back
Top Bottom