P0051657.jpg

by bamafan4ever

Game Day Information:
When: Saturday, October 20th, 2007
Time: 11:34 AM Central
Where: Bryant-Denny Stadium (92,138) Tuscaloosa, AL
TV: Lincoln Financial Sports

Alabama NCAA Team Statistics:
Total Offense: 399.86 yards (49th) Total Defense: 354.0 (47th)
Scoring Offense: 30.14 (46th) Scoring Defense: 21.29 (37th)
Rushing Offense: 173.29 (45th) Rushing Defense: 135.43 (40th)
Passing Offense: 226.57 (62nd) Passing Defense: 218.57 (55th)

Alabama Key Stats and Personnel:
Passing: John Parker Wilson (253-141, 1513 yards, 8 TD’s, 5 INT’s)
Rushing: Terry Grant (101-593, 6 TD’s) Glen Coffee (90-413, 4TD’s)
Receiving: DJ Hall (37-579, 3 TD’s) Matt Caddell (23-199, 1 TD)
Mike McCoy (21-156, 1 TD)

Tennessee NCAA Team Statistics:
Total Offense: 425.5 yards (37th) Total Defense: 389.5 (65th)
Scoring Offense: 34.33 (31st) Scoring Defense: 30.8 (85th)
Rushing Offense: 155.0 (62nd) Rushing Defense: 159.5 (66th)
Passing Offense: 270.5 (25th) Passing Defense: 230.0 (64th)

Tennessee Key Stats and Personnel:
Passing: Erik Ainge (221-147, 1554 yards, 12 TD’s, 3 INT’s)
Rushing: Arian Foster (97-534, 7 TD’s) Montario Hardesty (41-184, 2 TD’s)
Receiving: Lucas Taylor (41-618, 3 TD’s) Austin Rogers (28-340, 1 TD)
Josh Briscoe (28-207, 1 TD) Chris Brown 21-167, 5 TD’s)

BAMA Quick Hits:
The Crimson Tide returns home after a controversial, come from behind victory over the Ole Miss Rebels last weekend in Oxford (27-24). The Tide seemed to find more of a rhythm offensively against, arguably, one of the worst defenses in the SEC last weekend. Defensively, the Tide had trouble containing the Ole Miss attack and it took 4th quarter heroics by Lionel Mitchell to finally put the Rebels away.

This week, the Crimson Tide defense finds itself facing one of the most dangerous offensive attacks it has faced all season long. Not only can the Volunteers put up numbers behind the arm of Erik Ainge but they can also run the ball very well with Arian Foster leading the ground attack for the Vols.

tide1.jpg

Photo courtesy of the Decatur Daily

Tide Player Tennessee Must Focus On:
DJ Hall. Alabama’s all-time leading receiver will look to find seams in the often porous Vol secondary. Alabama has had success in the passing game when facing zone defenses this season and will need productivity against the Volunteer secondary to keep them from stacking the line of scrimmage to stop the running game.

Alabama Will Win If:The Tide must find a way to put pressure on Senior QB Erik Ainge. Ainge was under constant pressure from the Mississippi State defense last week which caused him to appear to throw the football off his back foot although the Bulldogs could never take advantage of his errant passes.

When Alabama has the ball, they need to a similar type of offense that was so successful against the Rebels. Slants and high percentage passes work well against the UT defense and if BAMA can manage to do this with a balanced running attack, it could spell a long day for the UT defense. Overall, Alabama will need a complete game on both sides of the ball to win against its northern border rival.

Tennessee Quick Hits:
After a rocky start to the season for Good Ol’ Rocky Top, the Volunteers bring a three game winning streak with them to Tuscaloosa and have found themselves back in the chase for the SEC East title. The Volunteers shattered the Georgia Bulldogs aspirations to reach Atlanta two weeks ago and struggled a bit more with the Mississippi State Bulldogs before putting them away, 33-21, in Starkville last weekend.

Erik Ainge has a variety of weapons at his disposal on offense and he does spread the wealth with four of UT’s top receivers accounting for at least 21 receptions each. Arian Foster leads the Volunteer ground attack but as always, Coach Fulmer has willing and able backups to give Foster a rest if need be.

061021_tennessee_hmed_5p.hmedium.jpg

Photo courtesy of MSNBC.

Tennessee Player Alabama Must Focus On:Erik Ainge. If the defense gives Ainge too much time, he will sit back and pick apart the sometimes vulnerable Alabama secondary. Alabama needs to apply pressure, even when they are rushing three or four linemen.

Tennessee Will Win If:Much like the Tide, the Volunteers will need to turn up the pressure on QB John Parker Wilson but then they will also need to find a way to defend the short passing game. The Volunteers will also need to keep Javier Arenas from getting Alabama into prime field position. Alabama has scored on its first possession in five games this season. In those games, Alabama is 5-0.

lynnbillie_2002004.jpg

Photo courtesy of lynnbillie.com.

3rd Saturday in October Facts:

* Alabama and Tennessee will meet for the 90th time this Saturday.

* The last four meetings between the Tide and Volunteers have been decided by a total of 18 points. Alabama is 1-3 in those 4 games.

* Alabama was the last team to hold Tennessee to no touchdowns in a game with a 6-3 win over the Vols in Bryant-Denny in 2005.

* Alabama and Tennessee have met every year since 1928 with the exception of 1943. Neither team fielded a team in 1943 due to World War II.

* 6 current players on the Tide roster hail from Tennessee while the Volunteer roster includes 3 Alabamians.

* Alabama defensive coordinator Kevin Steele and Tennessee defensive coordinator John Chavis are lifelong friends. They attended the same junior high and were high school teammates. They were also teammates and roommates at Tennessee.

* The Alabama and Tennessee game has never appeared on Lincoln Financial, the old Jefferson Pilot.

* Alabama is 324-100-16 (.755) in the month of October.

Hmmm, Kevin Steele is from UT? I didn't know that.

Two things from the above preview makes me very concerned...most dangerous offensive attacks and pressure. We haven't really pressured anyone all year, and I don't know why that would change tomorrow. Hopefully I'm wrong! Is our D up for a dangerous offensive attack? I just don't know that we have the hosses.

To me, this stat is key as well...Alabama has scored on its first possession in five games this season. In those games, Alabama is 5-0. I think we have to get confidence early as well as shut down UT early.

Great preview 4ever.

BamaDelta said:

Two things from the above preview makes me very concerned...most dangerous offensive attacks and pressure. We haven't really pressured anyone all year, and I don't know why that would change tomorrow. Hopefully I'm wrong! Is our D up for a dangerous offensive attack? I just don't know that we have the hosses.

To me, this stat is key as well...Alabama has scored on its first possession in five games this season. In those games, Alabama is 5-0. I think we have to get confidence early as well as shut down UT early.

Great preview 4ever.

I am not sure we will shut anyone down this year but we will need to do our best to keep them in check at least some of the time.

I have no insight to what our game plan will be this week but I think the staff did a nice job of implementing the type of scheme we will need to use against UT last week against Ole Miss (offensively). UT has truly been vulnerable to slant-type passes and speedy TB's that can get to the corner.

I am heartened by the fact that Cal had so much success in special teams against UT. I think Javier Arenas, if given the opportunity, could really make an impact tomorrow (hopefully before noon! :lol: ).

Nice informative piece, Greg. I like having those numbers right there on one post.

All you contributors--Greg, Terry, Porkchop, RollTideRandy, Bo, benc, and others--do a great task at keeping the masses informed and entertained.

Factor does appreciate everyone's efforts.

Btw, here's to making Tennessee's weekend, indeed, rocky.

RTR!

Seems the major factors in this game will be quarterback pressure and special teams. If we can get the pressure on him like we need to hopefully we can force some turnovers that will turn positive for us. I just hope our offense can click and make first downs, not only to put points on the board but to give the defense some rest as well, so they can stay in the game all 4 quarters....and sack Ainge :twisted:

BamaDelta said:

Great preview 4ever.

Sandy, your key stat is more key than you thought. Tennessee has scored on their first possesion in four games this season. In those games, they are 4-0.

bamafan4ever said:
BamaDelta said:

Great preview 4ever.

I am not sure we will shut anyone down this year but we will need to do our best to keep them in check at least some of the time.

I have no insight to what our game plan will be this week but I think the staff did a nice job of implementing the type of scheme we will need to use against UT last week against Ole Miss (offensively). UT has truly been vulnerable to slant-type passes and speedy TB's that can get to the corner.

I am heartened by the fact that Cal had so much success in special teams against UT. I think Javier Arenas, if given the opportunity, could really make an impact tomorrow (hopefully before noon! :lol: ).

Arenas will not sleep a wink tonight(Friday). Vandy has given up only 83 yards on 7 punt returns this year. That puts them at #94 in the nation. They would be at # 1 if they could take away the 79 yards on the 3 returns that Arenas put on them. And look at who is ranked #117.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=4&rpt=IA_teampuntretdefense&site=org

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (that I've seen at least) is the point UT's defense has been allowing teams to score easily in the 2nd half, especially in the 4th quarter.

If you think about this team and how they've played in the 4th quarter this year, it gives me the impression it'll be a close game with Bama coming out on top in the 4th quarter.

Although, I have to add, I started thinking about how we can out against UF in '05...and, can see this game going that way as well.

Back
Top Bottom