| FTBL There's one thing that college football needs to do that follows the NFL's system.

Game day set-ups for camera's and video equipment.

How many times have you seen replays at the goal line where they didn't have pylon cameras? Far too often for me.

I really don't see the need for the TV productions crews to put a camera on the officials. We see their point of view, but don't really get much more coverage.

Should this be enforced, and paid for, by the NCAA? The individual schools? I'm thinking it should be a requirement for the network providing coverage.

Here's how you "big games" are set up in the NFL.

3 high game cameras that you mainly see during live action. These are placed at about the 22-yard lines and at the 50. The director decides which camera is covering the game depending on where the ball is spotted; the other 2 are given other assignments.

An “All 22” cam that shoots wide enough to see all players on the field.

2 low end zone cams.

1 or 2 cart cam(s) - the camera on a platform on a cart going back and forth on the sideline, usually just ahead of the line of scrimmage.

1 or 2 handheld sideline cams.

1 “steadicam”.

2 high end zone cams, though used less if a SkyCam is present.

1 booth cam to shoot the talent.

1 SkyCam/cable cam.

Pylon cams.

Game day set-ups for camera's and video equipment.

How many times have you seen replays at the goal line where they didn't have pylon cameras? Far too often for me.

I really don't see the need for the TV productions crews to put a camera on the officials. We see their point of view, but don't really get much more coverage.

Should this be enforced, and paid for, by the NCAA? The individual schools? I'm thinking it should be a requirement for the network providing coverage.

Here's how you "big games" are set up in the NFL.

3 high game cameras that you mainly see during live action. These are placed at about the 22-yard lines and at the 50. The director decides which camera is covering the game depending on where the ball is spotted; the other 2 are given other assignments.

An “All 22” cam that shoots wide enough to see all players on the field.

2 low end zone cams.

1 or 2 cart cam(s) - the camera on a platform on a cart going back and forth on the sideline, usually just ahead of the line of scrimmage.

1 or 2 handheld sideline cams.

1 “steadicam”.

2 high end zone cams, though used less if a SkyCam is present.

1 booth cam to shoot the talent.

1 SkyCam/cable cam.

Pylon cams.
Full employment for cameramen.

The NFL doesn't typically have the skycam (except maybe for the playoffs and SB). Availability for college depends on the stadium.
The skycam is just ahead of the officials "hat cam" in terms of importance.

Our OP brings up a valid question as to why there isn't a set standard. It's an uneven playing field which can go both ways. A missed touchdown because they didn't have a pylon cam or a tick-tacky penalty only caught on review from one of those extra cameras.

I believe all NFL teams/games utilize the All22.

Back
Top Bottom