| FTBL The next Rashaan Evans? Meet Alabama's new No. 32

• Thread starter Rainer Sabin | rsabin@al.com
  • Start date
R

Rainer Sabin | rsabin@al.com

Alabama linebacker Dylan Moses had an impressive freshman campaign before it was curtailed by a foot injury. Is he primed to take the next step in his career?
Rainer Sabin | rsabin@al.com
The next Rashaan Evans? Meet Alabama's new No. 32

For more than a few seconds, it was easy to forget Rashaan Evans no longer played for Alabama, that his eligibility had been exhausted.

Perched in the middle of the Crimson Tide's defense was a linebacker who looked a lot like him. He even wore his old number, 32.

But alas Evans was gone -- off to the NFL as another one of Nick Saban's first-round picks.

In his place was a virtual clone, a player who is the same height as the 6-foot-3 Evans and only two pounds lighter than former Tide All-SEC performer.

The similarities between the star and his stand-in are uncanny, and Dylan Moses doesn't shy away from them.

"Just as far as taking on Rashaan's role, I feel like I learned a lot being his backup last season," Moses said in April. "For me, it's just like dang, now he's gone, now it's my role. I am just basically doing the same thing he did, if not better."

Moses is just the latest human bullet to roll off the assembly line at Alabama, where sideline-to-sideline defenders populate the Tide's front year after year.

As a freshman, Moses sparked intrigue during an introductory season that unfolded much in the same way a typical college student's does before the declaration of a major. It had the feeling of being experimental, ephemeral and also exciting.

He switched numbers repeatedly, cycling between No. 7, No. 8 and No. 18. He also floated between outside and inside linebacker while being deployed both as a reserve and a starter during a year when a spike in injuries afflicted the entire linebacker corps.

The adverse circumstances necessitated that Moses develop at an accelerated rate, and he responded.

Moses' trajectory was pointed skyward until he fractured his foot in a practice preceding the College Football Playoff semifinal. Before that setback, he produced 30 tackles, more than five of which resulted in lost yardage. It was an impressive total considering he was on the field for 181 snaps in 2017.

"I've played four different positions and the versatility is a huge thing," Moses said. "For me, I have played Mack, Money, Buck Will. I have played it all. So, I basically know the defense inside out."

Moses' potential seems vast in a system coordinated by Tosh Lupoi, a coach with an aggressive bent. During the A-Day spring game in late April, he collected ten tackles -- more than any of his teammates. And there is plenty more evidence that suggests he is a burgeoning three-down player who can line up on the edges in passing situations and be a featured player in the team's destructive "Nickel Rabbits" package, much in the same way Evans was.

Back in March, left tackle Jonah Williams noted that Moses had one of quickest first steps among all of the team's pass rushers.

"Dylan is going to be a great athlete here, definitely," Evans said last fall.

More than anyone else, Evans should know.

After all, Moses is a direct reflection of Evans right down to the number.

Rainer Sabin is an Alabama beat writer for the Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @RainerSabin

Last edited by a moderator:
Physically they are built a lot alike. But Moses is grasping the mental part of the game much earlier in his career than Rashaan. I think Dylan could be a part of the fastest defense we've had yet.

Physically they are built a lot alike. But Moses is grasping the mental part of the game much earlier in his career than Rashaan. I think Dylan could be a part of the fastest defense we've had yet.

Moses will be the best linebacker during the Saban era. He's going to throw it back in all the recruitnics faces when they questioned his ability at linebacker and said he should have stuck to tailback.

Moses will be the best linebacker during the Saban era. He's going to throw it back in all the recruitnics faces when they questioned his ability at linebacker and said he should have stuck to tailback.
He has a chance but let us not forget the guy who wore 32 before either Moses or Evans, some dude named CJ. He is the best to this point, of the Saban era(DT is the best ever).

Personally, the comparison doesn't fit with me.

And here's why. Rashaan spent his early years at Bama playing outside. He moved inside as a back-up in '16. Moses has been playing in the middle since he arrived on campus--depth issues forced him having to mature more quickly. It's really comparing apples to oranges with their development.
When I saw the title to this article my first thought was Christian Miller. If word holds true he's going to get looks inside this fall. His "path" is mirroring Rashaan's more than Dylan's.

And here's why. Rashaan spent his early years at Bama playing outside. He moved inside as a back-up in '16. Moses has been playing in the middle since he arrived on campus--depth issues forced him having to mature more quickly. It's really comparing apples to oranges with their development.
When I saw the title to this article my first thought was Christian Miller. If word holds true he's going to get looks inside this fall. His "path" is mirroring Rashaan's more than Dylan's.

My comparison starts and stops with physical traits, not ability and not instinct. Kinda like Ben Davis reminds me of Rolando, physical size only. I think Dylan's nose for the ball is going to be something special this year. I think in that department his speed and instinct will eventually put us more in mind of Reuben.

Do you think Christian Miller will move inside?! That would be awesome, actually....

Last edited:

Do you think Christian Miller will move inside?! That would be awesome, actually....

I don't see it personally, but who knows. Miller is almost a prototype edge rusher in terms of his frame and body type. He's got really long limbs and he's not a square, powerfully built guy like Moses or SDH or Foster or Evans or Ro or Nico, etc.

ILB depth isn't really that concerning, is it? Mack, Moses, Vandarius Cowan, Markail Benton form an awfully good 2 deep. And in this D, the OLB who can put his hand in the dirt and become an elite edge rusher is a premium talent. Christian Miller has this ability which makes him versatile with all the Nickel D that is actually used (around 75% of all snaps).

Why in the world would Christian Miller get reps inside? Unless it's just for depth that makes absolutely no sense for a guy that needs to be the field as much as possible on the outside (whether his hand is in the dirt or he's standing up).

Why in the world would Christian Miller get reps inside? Unless it's just for depth that makes absolutely no sense for a guy that needs to be the field as much as possible on the outside (whether his hand is in the dirt or he's standing up).

2 reasons stand out:

1. Terrell Hall
2. Anfernee Jennings

There are a few more as well, but if he's got a nose for the ball and reading plays I could see it working. Ultimately pretty confident he will stay outside but Saban could make it work

On another note, I'm not quite as sold on Dylan Moses as most. Looking forward to seeing how he stacks up against the big boys... He was banged up last year and just a pup, I just think it will take some seasoning and experience to get him to the elite level of the others we've had. Coming into college I thought his instincts were a touch behind - But I've been off many times.

TLDR - I'd like to see Moses prove himself. My dark horse to play a lot is Benton... If Christian Miller isn't in the mix.

2 reasons stand out:

1. Terrell Hall
2. Anfernee Jennings

There are a few more as well, but if he's got a nose for the ball and reading plays I could see it working. Ultimately pretty confident he will stay outside but Saban could make it work

I'm not saying he couldn't make it work, given a chance, but with Mack and Moses still there (and a plethora of young guys there) seems kind of like a moot point unless it's just a depth thing (like I said) in worrying about injury to Moses/Mack.,

2 reasons stand out:

1. Terrell Hall
2. Anfernee Jennings

2 good pass rushers isn't enough. And Miller and Jennings are different prototypes. Miller is going to be crucial to an elite pass rush this year.

2 reasons stand out:

1. Terrell Hall
2. Anfernee Jennings

2 good pass rushers isn't enough. And Miller and Jennings are different prototypes. Miller is going to be crucial to an elite pass rush this year.

Staff loves Mosley... And Chris Allen is in the mix as well. You've got Enoma coming in... A couple other freshman but that may be getting into the weeds.

Aside from McMillon at MLB there's not another dude who's taken a snap. I think that may be the thinnest position we have, and it's easy for those guys to get dinged because they're always in the mix.

I'm with BBJ I don't see the move happening but if it does it's justifiable! MLB is the only position I'm actually concerned about with depth

(Where is Ben Davis now?!)

Playing WILL which also happens to be where Miller has been. This is the old "Where's Tana" thread for 2018. Both in a position that only sees the field 10-15% of the snaps the defense takes.

I'm not saying he couldn't make it work, given a chance, but with Mack and Moses still there (and a plethora of young guys there) seems kind of like a moot point unless it's just a depth thing (like I said) in worrying about injury to Moses/Mack.,

It is a depth issue and not based on "what if." It's based on what's needed and there isn't any depth with either of the two interior linebacking positions.

In a round about way this also mirrors the conversations had on Rashaan. Why move him from outside to insider was a popular question and it was dramaticized by those in the media when they talked about how many pass rushers Bama was losing on the line.

2 reasons stand out:

1. Terrell Hall
2. Anfernee Jennings

Staff loves Mosley... And Chris Allen is in the mix as well. You've got Enoma coming in... A couple other freshman but that may be getting into the weeds.

Aside from McMillon at MLB there's not another dude who's taken a snap. I think that may be the thinnest position we have, and it's easy for those guys to get dinged because they're always in the mix.

I'm with BBJ I don't see the move happening but if it does it's justifiable! MLB is the only position I'm actually concerned about with depth

They may love Mosley, Allen is an excellent prospect, but the staff doesn't value either in the same ballpark as Christian Miller as an edge rusher.

Vadarius Cowan has taken snaps at ILB and was mentioned specifically by Saban in midseason last year as a guy who was really physical and that who needed to play down the stretch vs physical teams. So there's more depth there than you list. Markail Benton has more time in the system than Enoma, though I'd expect to see both playing.

Really I don't see either position as that thin. Christian Miller just does not have the frame of an ILB which is why I don't see it. And given all the injuries last year at OLB, I'm surprised it's even something people would consider.

2 reasons stand out:

1. Terrell Hall
2. Anfernee Jennings

They may love Mosley, Allen is an excellent prospect, but the staff doesn't value either in the same ballpark as Christian Miller as an edge rusher.

Vadarius Cowan has taken snaps at ILB and was mentioned specifically by Saban in midseason last year as a guy who was really physical and that who needed to play down the stretch vs physical teams. So there's more depth there than you list. Markail Benton has more time in the system than Enoma, though I'd expect to see both playing.

Really I don't see either position as that thin. Christian Miller just does not have the frame of an ILB which is why I don't see it. And given all the injuries last year at OLB, I'm surprised it's even something people would consider.

Cowan is in the doghouse bro.... That's my amateur evaluation

Back
Top Bottom