| LIFE The local TV stations came together and made the official adjective of the day, "Bitterly;" bitterly cold.

TerryP

Staff
I just got a text from a friend in Athens; he said is 5° at his house. I looked outside, 48° now with a feel like temp of 41°

Seeing it is supposed to be 17° in the morning? I need to move further south.

Bitterly. Brutally. Forget the BS...let's talk Key West—as tired as I am of the rain I'll take the 72° with showers.

I like it! Is titterly a word yet?

Looked at the weather back home and this morning the wind chill was -19. Got to be a record in TN, or our part at least. First white Christmas for the area in many many years. But in Paris it was a beautiful and balmy 55 today!

Last edited:
Night before last we got to -68 with the wind chill, it stayed at between -24 and -38 without the wind chill for 48 hrs. Today we’re at a nice 6 above
Read this just make me colder! My phone telling me this morning it was 14, and with the wind chill it telling me it feel liken-2! You that live in that type of weather. My hat off to you all!

Night before last we got to -68 with the wind chill, it stayed at between -24 and -38 without the wind chill for 48 hrs. Today we’re at a nice 6 above
No.

Just, no.

So I'm getting 45-48 mph frequently. I can smell the salt in the air today ... while there's not a cloud in the sky, that also should tell you how wet the wind feels.

Fkr3LM6UAAEWhkm

We are due for one of those generational ice storms around here that shuts everything down hurricane style.
Reminiscing about the ice storm of '82? That's the last major one that hit AL, isn't it?

Dominion Energy sent out a notification last night urging customers to avoid using major appliances—what exactly is a major appliance anyway? 🤷‍♂️

One thing that bugs the hell out of me is the lack of exercise. I couldn't handle it anymore and decided to get out and bike a little this morning. There's a "hurricanish" feel; all the street lights have been turned off.

A little over three miles biked...and it's cold. I quit. Although I have to admit I'm tempted to go outside and fire up the fire pit...'bout time to crack open that bottle of Uncle Nearest.

Reminiscing about the ice storm of '82? That's the last major one that hit AL, isn't it?

Dominion Energy sent out a notification last night urging customers to avoid using major appliances—what exactly is a major appliance anyway? 🤷‍♂️

One thing that bugs the hell out of me is the lack of exercise. I couldn't handle it anymore and decided to get out and bike a little this morning. There's a "hurricanish" feel; all the street lights have been turned off.

A little over three miles biked...and it's cold. I quit. Although I have to admit I'm tempted to go outside and fire up the fire pit...'bout time to crack open that bottle of Uncle Nearest.
ice storm of '96 i think was the last time I remember temps this low in 'Bama. At least around here anyways. I figure we've had some similar temps since but I remember that one like it was yesterday.

I vaguely remember either the one in '82 (I would have been 4) or one a couple years later maybe. A few days without power, fireplace warming our small den and a rather large and sketchy kerosene heater that my parents warned me to stay away from. Ended up in a nice ice storm near Gatlinburg years ago too. Wasn't ice, but the '93 Blizzard was similar. I was living in Daphne at the time, but was in B'ham for a knee surgery. A shit ton of snow fell within a few days of it... didn't lose power for long, but was still stranded for several days in my Grandmother's apartment. She only got like 5 channels, so it was game shows during the day and late night reruns of Night Court, Hunter, and Matlock on my itinerary.

I'll say this though, having been in both situations without power for extended periods.... give me ice storm 100 times out of 100 over extended hurricane power loss during summer.

I vaguely remember either the one in '82 (I would have been 4) or one a couple years later maybe. A few days without power, fireplace warming our small den and a rather large and sketchy kerosene heater that my parents warned me to stay away from. Ended up in a nice ice storm near Gatlinburg years ago too. Wasn't ice, but the '93 Blizzard was similar. I was living in Daphne at the time, but was in B'ham for a knee surgery. A shit ton of snow fell within a few days of it... didn't lose power for long, but was still stranded for several days in my Grandmother's apartment. She only got like 5 channels, so it was game shows during the day and late night reruns of Night Court, Hunter, and Matlock on my itinerary.

I'll say this though, having been in both situations without power for extended periods.... give me ice storm 100 times out of 100 over extended hurricane power loss during summer.

The '82 ice storm kept us without power for seven days. A tree down between the transformer and the house at the end of a 3/8 mile driveway. We knew we'd be one of the last without power. We had a wood heater in the basement that had a large hood that would connect into the HVAC and we could run the fan and improve the temp in the whole house in the winter. I was responsible for keeping the wood supplied to the basement, wheelbarrowed a ton of it from the barn. SC crew fixed our line and were driving straight back to SC, last job.

I missed out on a really good deal on a whole-house natural gas generator from Costco - pre-pandemic - and now, like most things, demand and supply are out of whack. Still plan to get one once demand slackens during the next recession. I've seen some portable multi-fuel 8500's on sale lately, but I"m going to hold out. The 22kw Generac/Honeywell units (Generac manufactures them both) are now back in stock at Costco, but $5,400 over the pre-pandemic $3,500. First significant sale and I'm in.

RTR,

Tim

Back
Top Bottom