| FTBL The Joy of Being #1

reger60

Staff
I know we all like to say that the rankings don't really mean anything, but yesterday afternoon they did for me.

The boss calls me to shoot the breeze. He's a University of Miami alum and all he can talk about is his 'Canes. So he starts in with this, "Hey, did you see that my 'Canes cracked the top 25? Can you believe that Randy Shannon has taken us from where we were and brought us back to the top 25 in just two years."

Dead silence on the phone from my side.

After a very pregnant pause. I said,"You'll have to forgive me if I'm less than impressed."

Another long silence.

Then he says, "Oh, yeah. Saban's only been at Bama two years hasn't he?"

"Yes," I respond.

"Yeah, but we're playing six freshman. How many are you playing, you guys must be deep," he says.

"Fifteen or sixteen freshman," I said. "We only have nine schollied seniors."

Another long silence.

"Well, maybe we'll meet up in a National Championship Game soon."

I said, "I'm glad to see that you're so optimistic about your program. Good luck against Georgia Tech."

"Whatever you do, beat the Gators, I hate those guys."

"That's part of the plan," I said.

Then the subject changed over to business. It sure was fun to be on the better side of that call.

:D

Yeah my boss is A big LSU fan man has he been treating us Bama fans like crap since we beat them It is good to be a Bama fan. I love it. Now bring on AU

I know what you mean. I try not to appear to be gloating too much when I talk to people. But, a couple of Barners here the other day was telling my how we were going to lose to MSU and I told them "yes the Bulldogs will win this weekend, but not MSU." :D

It's a lot of fun here in Tennessee, all of the Vol fans that I know are know avid duck hunters! The Kroger around the corner from our house had their Vol T-shirts on sale the other day for $3 a piece.

No worries for me! Mama=Boss Mama=Bama Fan! I do work with one UTurd fan though! She's very optomistic that F.U. is goin to kill Alabama. :roll:

Good stuff Reg, that had to be a good feeling. He's totally dreaming though if he thinks Miami returns to their level in the 90's any time soon. Shannon seems like a pretty good recruiter, but Miami sells itself as well as any school in the country. The jury is still out on him as far as I'm concerned.

The difference now with me is that many folks around know that I am a Bama fan, so now I get a lot of, "how 'bout Bama this weekend!" "gonna be a tough game for Bama this weekend", "Bama played a great game this weekend!". It's nice of everyone to notice.

reger60 said:
"Yeah, but we're playing six freshman. How many are you playing, you guys must be deep," he says.

Another long silence.

Along those lines a Notre Dame fan calls into Colin Cowherd one day last week. They're talking about Weis and if and how long he may last at ND. Colin is being tough on him like he is with most people.

Guy then gets on the "we're so young" bandwagon. He asks Colin if there is another team as young as ND. I believe Colin mentions Arkansas 1st with them playing like 15 freshman, and at this point I'm about to drive off the road. I can't believe Colin is about to not even talk about Alabama. I'm thinking typical media jerk - hates Alabama. :x

Then he brings up Alabama to the guy and really starts pushing him hard. I feel like he's now actually doing one of those "Crimson is" commercials. :lol: I know, I know it will probably never happen again, and I'm sure it pained him to do any of it. But it sure was nice. :)

reger60 said:
I know we all like to say that the rankings don't really mean anything, but yesterday afternoon they did for me.

The boss calls me to shoot the breeze. He's a University of Miami alum and all he can talk about is his 'Canes. So he starts in with this, "Hey, did you see that my 'Canes cracked the top 25? Can you believe that Randy Shannon has taken us from where we were and brought us back to the top 25 in just two years."

After a very pregnant pause. I said,"You'll have to forgive me if I'm less than impressed."

Another long silence.

"Yes," I respond.

Another long silence.

I said, "I'm glad to see that you're so optimistic about your program. Good luck against Georgia Tech."

Then the subject changed over to business. It sure was fun to be on the better side of that call.

Good chance the boss is hiding under the dining room table right now. :lol:

bamanaf said:
reger60 said:

Another long silence.

"Yes," I respond.

Another long silence.

Good chance the boss is hiding under the dining room table right now. :lol:

For real. So much for that top 25 ranking. See ya. Thanks for playing. :shock:

I'd like to hear what he's got to say today. I think the number was 472 rushing yards they gave up against Tech. No matter what the scoreboard says...that's a pounding.

TerryP said:
I'd like to hear what he's got to say today. I think the number was 472 rushing yards they gave up against Tech. No matter what the scoreboard says...that's a pounding.

Yeah, funny because the other day 680 TheFan was doing a segment on Miami and all these guys were calling in saying The U is back. Making a big deal of Shannon putting them back in the national spotlight, etc... That spotlight is now more like a flicker....that just went out.

BamaDelta said:
TerryP said:

Yeah, funny because the other day 680 TheFan was doing a segment on Miami and all these guys were calling in saying The U is back. Making a big deal of Shannon putting them back in the national spotlight, etc... That spotlight is now more like a flicker....that just went out.

Yep, the U is back all right. Back to the '60's and '70's when teams fought over who was going to get them for homecoming.

Any success the U has over the next couple years will be entirely based on how pathetically average the ACC is. I'm not ready to say that the ACC sucks as bad as the Pac 10 or the Big 10(11), but that conference is so average it's not even funny. Miami is slightly better than average, but sucky on the road. What GT did to them last night was not suitable for my 9 year old daughter to watch.

Back
Top Bottom