| NEWS Texas A&M set to sue Alabama football coach, Jeff Banks

• Thread starter Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com
  • Start date
M

Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com

Jeff Banks left Texas A&M for Alabama in January.

Texas A&M is moving forward with plans to sue an Alabama assistant football coach.

The first item on the agenda for the executive session of the Aug. 16 Texas A&M board of regents meeting gives authorization to "proceed with litigation against Jeff Banks for breach of employment contract."

Banks was the Aggies tight ends and special teams coordinator before leaving for Alabama in January. He was the interim head coach for A&M in the Belk Bowl after Kevin Sumlin was fired.

Banks' contract at Texas A&M required him to pay the full buyout if he left for another SEC school, The Eagle reported. He was set to be paid $375,000 a year in a contract running through March 2019.

The contract approved by Alabama in May stated UA would pay up to $457,448 to buyout his old contract at his previous employer. If the previous employer agreed to reduce the buyout payment up to $282,448, that money would go to Banks.

At Alabama, Banks is set to make $550,000 in the second and third years of his contract and $267,552 in Year 1.

Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com
Texas A&M set to sue Alabama football coach

One of the things that struck me about our new coaches is when coach Saban said he felt like he hit the lotto with each new coach. Not just with recruiting but in handling their position. This action sounds like sour grapes and poor losers with the aggies. Banks is arguably the best special teams guy in the league and the one thing we don't bear down on much is the coaching upgrade at the Capstone. We took coaches from Penn State, Miami, Texas A&M and others and they were some of the best these programs had.

I know he didn't coach at Michigan, but didn't we technically hire him away from Michigan? He had accepted a position and before he ever moved, we snatched him up. I'm no lawyer, but this should be interesting to see how litigation plays out.

I know he didn't coach at Michigan, but didn't we technically hire him away from Michigan? He had accepted a position and before he ever moved, we snatched him up. I'm no lawyer, but this should be interesting to see how litigation plays out.

Dan Enos QB coach
Harbaugh was dangling the OC position as "bait." When Bama snatched him up it was after Michigan had announced his hire. At that point he wasn't even assigned a position to coach. He was getting paid 150K from UM. At Bama he was assigned the QB coach title along with Associate head coach along with getting around 50K more per year.

1cyeller38pxffCLR_r600x400.jpg

Back
Top Bottom