| FTBL Ten things from the Fresno State Game

1. Jalen Hurts took over
The sophomore quarterback was electric to start the game against Fresno State rushing for a 55-yard touchdown on the opening drive of the game, then throwing a 23-yard touchdown to Hale Hentges with 8:24 in the first quarter, followed by a 3-yard touchdown run early in the second quarter. By halftime, Hurts had accounted for 231-yards of offense and three touchdowns as the Crimson Tide led Fresno State 28-3. While Hurts continues to receive criticism from Alabama fans regarding his deep ball ability, he’s thrown a 53-yard touchdown pass and a 23-yard touchdown in back to back weeks with zero interceptions. Hurts had a 55.6% passing completion percentage against Florida State and a 77.8% passing completion percentage on Saturday against Fresno State.

2. Will Alabama have a featured running back this season?

For the second straight week, Alabama has not had a running back hit the 100-yard mark. Against Florida State, Damien Harris led running backs in rushing with 73-yards, against the Bulldogs true freshman Najee Harris ran for 73-yards. So the question is, will Alabama have a featured back this season or will it be a running back by committee? Remember, Alabama will also return Josh Jacobs at some point and you also have Bo Scarbrough to feed. Scarbrough has rushed 21 times for 76-yards this season, which is a 3.61 per attempt average.

3. 11 receivers targeted against Fresno State

The Crimson Tide really spread the football around passing wise on Saturday against Fresno State with 11 different receivers catching passes. Calvin Ridley for a second week in a row led the team with five receptions for 45-yards, Cam Sims hauled in three receptions for 28-yards, Robert Foster had two receptions for 23-yards, tight end Hale Hentges caught a 23-yard touchdown from Jalen Hurts, and True Freshman Henry Ruggs caught a 16-yard touchdown pass from another True Freshman in quarterback Tua Tagovailoa.

4. Zero turnovers in two games

One of the most impressive stats from the first two weeks of play is the fact that Alabama has not turned over the football on offense. Turnovers are detrimental to any team during games, especially in big time games against quality opponents, and for two weeks in a row, Alabama has secured the football both passing and rushing. That stat tells us that Alabama is paying close attention to detail, just as Nick Saban stresses every week.

5. The play of Raekwon Davis

At 6-foot-7 and 303-pounds, Davis takes up a good amount of the field and the Meridian, Mississippi native had an outstanding game on Saturday racking up eight tackles. Last week against Florida State he also had a quarterback sack. Alabama’s defensive identity is playing hard, fast, and make plays. Davis is doing just that and coming into the season everyone knew that the defensive line had big shoes to fill replacing Jonathan Allen and Dalvin Tomlinson, but if Alabama can get consistent play from Davis like they did yesterday, Davis will be that guy they were looking for and from what we’ve seen from him early on, he could be one of the best in the Nation at the defensive end position.

6. Linebackers debut

As you know, Alabama suffered four key injuries at the linebacker position in their opening against Florida State. As Alabama preaches, it’s next man up and on Saturday we saw linebackers Keith Holcombe, Jamey Mosley, Mack Wilson, and Dylan Moses rise up. Holcombe, a junior out of Tuscaloosa, Alabama recorded seven tackles, four of those were solo. Jamey Mosley a former walk on out of Mobile, Alabama recorded two tackles and showed great discipline containing Fresno State’s quarterback during the game. Mack Wilson recorded four tackles and continues to impress across the middle of the field, and we also saw freshmen Dylan Moses come up with two tackles on Saturday. Replacing guys like Tyrell Lewis, Christian Miller, Rashaan Evans, and Afernee Jennings is something no other college football program could do, but at Alabama quality depth is obvious.

7. Ronnie Harrison’s play has been consistent

One of the best players on the field at all times of the game is Ronnie Harrison. The 6-foot-3, 215-pound safety out of Tallahassee, Florida is a playmaker and one secondary player that can fill on the run and cover well across the top of the field. He played exceptionally well against Florida State and again on Saturday, he impressed with eight tackles, leading the team with five solos. It does not seem like he gets enough credit weekly, but he's clearly vital to the team's overall defensive success.

8. Special teams has been very solid

Good special teams play has been shown through the first two weeks. Kicker Andy Pappanastos is 5 of 7 on the year kicking field goals, punter JK Scott punted three times on Saturday for 125-yards, his longest was a booming 49-yarder, and the return game has fielded the ball cleaning thanks in part to Trevon Diggs who has proved to be steady returning punts. The protection has been good on punts and kicking PATs, and Alabama is 1 for 1 on two point conversions this season. Credit Alabama special teams coach Joe Pannunzio.

9. Room for improvement in all areas

While Alabama is 2-0 on the season outscoring the opposition in the first two weeks of play 65-17, there is room for improvement in all areas of the game. This team is far from perfect and still beatable if you look across the landscape of college football. There areas where Alabama needs to tighten up? That could be a question for Nick Saban this week, but one area is third down efficiency where Alabama has struggled thus far going 3 of 16 against Florida State and just 4 of 10 against Fresno State. Also, on Saturday it felt as though there were a lot of missed tackles which extended a few Fresno State offensive drives. Hard to be perfect on Saturday’s, but as you know from watching last year, you have to execute to near perfection to achieve the ultimate goal.

10. First experience at Bryant-Denny Stadium

While I’ve already been at Bryant-Denny Stadium countless times for practice, on Saturday it was my first time covering an Alabama football game in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The waves of people in Crimson walking to the game from a mile and a half outside the stadium jumped out to me as Tony and I drove closer to the towering structure which you can see from miles out. I’ve never seen so many people outside of a game that didn’t start for another four hours. The million dollar band was outstanding, and the student section was really something to see and I quickly imagined what it would be to share that same passion with friends during a September Saturday, something I’ll never experience, but I am glad that this does exist in the world. 101,000 fans cheering for Alabama Football, I’d always dreamt of what it would be like to see a game from inside, yesterday is a day I’ll never forget.

bsyei6x2w3xx1rcqcjyf

Alabama Linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton | USA Today Sports Images

About The Author

bgqadxq0f1l24uasw22k

BamaInsider.com - Henderson: 10 takeaways from Alabama's 31 point victory over Fresno State

10. First experience at Bryant-Denny Stadium

While I’ve already been at Bryant-Denny Stadium countless times for practice, on Saturday it was my first time covering an Alabama football game in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The waves of people in Crimson walking to the game from a mile and a half outside the stadium jumped out to me as Tony and I drove closer to the towering structure which you can see from miles out. I’ve never seen so many people outside of a game that didn’t start for another four hours. The million dollar band was outstanding, and the student section was really something to see and I quickly imagined what it would be to share that same passion with friends during a September Saturday, something I’ll never experience, but I am glad that this does exist in the world. 101,000 fans cheering for Alabama Football, I’d always dreamt of what it would be like to see a game from inside, yesterday is a day I’ll never forget.

About The Author

bgqadxq0f1l24uasw22k

BamaInsider.com - Henderson: 10 takeaways from Alabama's 31 point victory over Fresno State

It's a good thing he started with Fresno State. I want to hear his thoughts on game experience when we get into the meat of the season.

Back
Top Bottom