| FTBL Stetson Bennett is still looking for respect...trying door, after door, after door.

Highest hit men per capita of anywhere in the county.
There was a time when bankers were hesitant to repossess logging equipment up there. Ultimately, they established a safe place, a boneyard of sorts, where borrowers would decide to drop off a feller buncher or such off for the banker to pick up. No one went up Copperhead Road, so to speak.

Was watching a special on HBO in the 90’s. It was about murder for hire. The question was asked, where would you go if you wanted to hire someone for murder? Answer given was Jasper Alabama.
I remember seeing an NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw in the early 1980s - it said the “mob’s preferred hit man lived in a small Alabama town called Jasper”. Me & my brother kinda nodded & said “makes sense!”

One of the reasons I don’t give @PurlJam any crap on here!

Last edited:
Was watching a special on HBO in the 90’s. It was about murder for hire. The question was asked, where would you go if you wanted to hire someone for murder? Answer given was Jasper Alabama.
I remember back in the day, a guy getting blown up on his riding lawnmower, killing him and his dog and an oil change place found a bomb under his car when his wife took it for service. I dont know what he did or who he pissed off, but they had the bases covered to knock him off.

I remember back in the day, a guy getting blown up on his riding lawnmower, killing him and his dog and an oil change place found a bomb under his car when his wife took it for service. I dont know what he did or who he pissed off, but they had the bases covered to knock him off.
Also, a female attorney went missing in the 80's, without a trace and never found.

This is interesting stuff. Not being from Alabama these things are unknown to me. Maybe need another thread, but would love some history to these last number of comments.

The primary suspects were a man and a woman. One of the two killed him/herself to avoid interrogation. I think she did. I don't remember what happened to the other asshat.
I was saying she could have been target and made to look like a suicide. This is the first time hearing about Jasper being a Hit man place? You learn something new everyday on here!

The primary suspects were a man and a woman. One of the two killed him/herself to avoid interrogation. I think she did. I don't remember what happened to the other asshat.
The man, Jerry Bland, killed himself when the cops were closing in on him. His cousin, Karen McPherson, was in on it and is still in prison, as far as I know. I always thought the husband paid them to do it, OR Carrie set it up so she could get away from him. Never could make up my mind.

Back
Top Bottom