| FTBL sterioids in college football

Outlaw said:
Porterhouse said:
It is a bigger issue in college football than many folks realize.

A lot of people like the blinders when it comes to juice in college football...

Steroids are incredibly easy to get these days as well...You don't need a crooked physician for a script, the internet is the black market of the 21st century. European pharmacies are all over the place and more than willing to break US laws if a customer is willing to do a western union payment.

Big_Fan said:
Outlaw said:
Porterhouse said:

Steroids are incredibly easy to get these days as well...You don't need a crooked physician for a script, the internet is the black market of the 21st century. European pharmacies are all over the place and more than willing to break US laws if a customer is willing to do a western union payment.

Or in some cases, they are supplied by staff members. At least, that is the rumor.

Porterhouse said:
Big_Fan said:
Outlaw said:
Porterhouse said:

Or in some cases, they are supplied by staff members. At least, that is the rumor.

I do believe that the NCAA and FDA too stringently regulate many substances. Take Androstenedione for example... In the dosage the package calls for, it is perfectly safe. Same thing goes for Ephedra...or any Mah huang derivative ...There is no reason to lump them with Dianabol and Deca like they are. Even asprin and tylenol are bad for you if you take too much...water will kill you if you drink too much. I dont think that athletes should be taking strong stuff like Dbol or Tbol, but they way the FDA is going, DHEA will be outlawed even though it is beneficial. Some sports have already banned it.

I think it is actually fairly pprevalent at the high school level.

When I was in high school (granted it was a long time ago, though not leather helmet days) our line was considered large because every starter weighed over 200 pounds, and we competed in the large school classification. Fast forward to my daughter's freshman year in high school, where the smallest starter on the O-line weighed in at 260, with two guys over 300 lbs. Pelham's O-line wasn't noticeably larger than the schools they played. I know that nutrition is a little better now than it was when I was in school, and certainly weight training is much more widespread, but when you see that much change in size in one generation you just can't help but feel like there is another factor involved, perhaps a sinister one. As noted above, steroids are not hard to get.

psychojoe said:

When I was in high school (granted it was a long time ago, though not leather helmet days) our line was considered large because every starter weighed over 200 pounds, and we competed in the large school classification. Fast forward to my daughter's freshman year in high school, where the smallest starter on the O-line weighed in at 260, with two guys over 300 lbs. Pelham's O-line wasn't noticeably larger than the schools they played. I know that nutrition is a little better now than it was when I was in school, and certainly weight training is much more widespread, but when you see that much change in size in one generation you just can't help but feel like there is another factor involved, perhaps a sinister one. As noted above, steroids are not hard to get.

I weighed 275, had lift totals (bench+squat+dead lift) of over 1600 pounds, and ran a 4.9 in HS...and never took a roid...but I agree with what you are saying.

Judging from the age you show on your profile, I am guessing that you were the biggest guy on your team. The HS team I referred to had two guys bigger than you and one in the same size range. None of them would have been close to your 40 time, though one would have been right there with you on the combined lifts. That particular kid could have been described as "having a weak pencil" though. Too bad there aren't brain steroids too.

psychojoe said:
Judging from the age you show on your profile, I am guessing that you were the biggest guy on your team. The HS team I referred to had two guys bigger than you and one in the same size range. None of them would have been close to your 40 time, though one would have been right there with you on the combined lifts. That particular kid could have been described as "having a weak pencil" though. Too bad there aren't brain steroids too.

There was one guy heavier than me, but he was much flabbier. I was not "thin," but I did not have rolls, either...but my HS graduating class was not but 70 or so...3A school. There were quite a few guys my size and bigger at larger schools. I developed a condition where my knee was not stable...it would dislocate under only moderate stress, yet the ligaments were not torn - according to the orthopedic surgeon who did the xray on my knee. The first time it happened, the knee filled with fluid and became unbendable. At the time, the condition was not considered repairable and it ruined my football career. I had to wear a brace that limited my mobility and speed, and even then it would still pop out of joint (and right back in).

Big_Fan said:
psychojoe said:

I weighed 275, had lift totals (bench+squat+dead lift) of over 1600 pounds, and ran a 4.9 in HS...and never took a roid...but I agree with what you are saying.

I'm not saying you are incorrect, because staeroids are in HS. But, humankind is naturally getting bigger and has been for ever. If you'll do some research and find the average size of a man in say 1860, then look up the avarage size of a man in 1960, and you'll find the man in 1960 is a good bit larger. Nutrition, especially in the infant and toddler years (not to mention the mothers nutrition during pregnancy), has a lot more to do with it than you think.

It's been a long time, and I don't have the data anymore, but I had to do a report on this once when in HS. That's how I found it out.

Bo, it is not the fact that kids are getting bigger that set me off on this. It is that they have gotten so much bigger in a relatively short time frame.

When John Hannah played at Bama in the early seventies, at 6'3" and 270 pounds he was considered a giant. Even considering the advances in weight training and nutrition should he be significantly smaller than the average sized starting lineman in the SEC (or any other maajor conference for that matter)?

When I did this report (around 1986) the speed of the size change was gradually increasing. Does this combined with nutrition, better weight lifting, and exercise programs make the difference we see now verses what we saw in the early 70's? I don't know. I know there are steroids in HS. Heck, I was offered them when I was in HS in the mid 80's. I'm just not sure that steroids are the main factor in the larger size of today's college FB players. It could be. And in some cases I know it is, but I don't know that it would account for the majority.

I will say this. The average size of the OL on my old HS team this year was probably around 20-30 pounds larger than it was my Sr. year (1986). And I can almost guarantee none of those kids are on the juice.

I'm not saying that this goes for the rest of the country, or even those in the southeast. But I graduated in 2004 and my senior football team had about 4, maybe 5 people who were on the juice. Just saying from experience, and none of these guys were DB's, QB's or WR's...they were mostly LB's and DE's. I can't say that I know of any of our linemen who were juicing, but I would imagine that there is a good bit of them out there.

Bama Bo said:
When I did this report (around 1986) the speed of the size change was gradually increasing. Does this combined with nutrition, better weight lifting, and exercise programs make the difference we see now verses what we saw in the early 70's? I don't know. I know there are steroids in HS. Heck, I was offered them when I was in HS in the mid 80's. I'm just not sure that steroids are the main factor in the larger size of today's college FB players. It could be. And in some cases I know it is, but I don't know that it would account for the majority.

I will say this. The average size of the OL on my old HS team this year was probably around 20-30 pounds larger than it was my Sr. year (1986). And I can almost guarantee none of those kids are on the juice.

You know...everyone who eats chicken is on steroids to some degree. There are so many additives in modern food products, it is hard to know what you are actually putting in your body.

I have been dieting...I had gotten ridiculously large (close to 400#) and I have dropped to 310 since August 1. I have goals and a plan, and it is working. A big part of what I am doing has to do with knowing what I am eating. If people were to actually look at the nutritional information on food, they would probably go into shock.

One example I use is the spicy chicken at PF Chang's. It is all white meat in a light sauce and you would think it is healthy...the reality is that it contains 1000 calories and 51 grams of fat. Want to go to Chile's, have a baby backs with chicken platter, and a volcano cake for desert, washing it down with a couple of glasses of sweet tea? Try this on for size...almost 4000 calories and 130 grams of fat. A double whopper with cheese, king sized fry, and a large Dr. Pepper will set you back to the tune of 2000 calories and 100 grams of fat.

Have a nice meal :)

I'm not saying that roids are solely responsible for the bigger kids. As we discussed, advances in nutrition and better weight training are certainly big factors. I know of at least one HS coach who encouraged kids to really stack on the food so they'd be biggeras if you had to encourage a 16 or 17 year old athlete to eat a lot. (His dad was concerned and talked to me about it because his son didn't figure to play football past high school and what would he do with the extra weight later on.) Of course it is not unusual for a teenager to have periods of rapid growth and weight gain, as this has always been the case. I do think that roids are a significant factor because of the pressure on kids to win, or to be big enough and strong enough to get scholarships. I certainly don't have any hard data to back this up, but that is my opinion.

shipley00 said:
Porterhouse said:

Are you implying the RollTideBama staff members are supplying steroids to the members here? She I be looking for Roid-Rage postings? :D

We have had a zero tolerance policy on that since Wytie (aka "W8LIFTR") was banned.

Back
Top Bottom