| TV/MOVIES/MUSIC Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS)

I wasn’t really crazy about it. For me, it just rehashed too many things I’ve already seen in the previous movies. Is it impossible to make a good Star Wars movie without simultaneous light saber duel / X-wings blowing up a big, planet destroying base at the end? Same story I’ve seen before only the Death Star was bigger and the hero was a little more overmatched in the light saber duel.

It's not impossible. In ESB nothing was blown up at the end. Also there weren't any X-wing/Tie fighter fights in it either. In AOTC it was just a big battle on Geonosis that ended ,Dooku escaping and then we see the ships taking off from Coruscant. Also at the end of ROTS it is just a light saber duel between Obi-Wan and Ani-, er, Darth Vader.

Great movie, I was a little nervous when I first heard JJ was directing this movie. JJ did a good job keeping the same look/feel from the originals.

I found it odd that Rey could keep up with Ren in the fight scene, thinking that Ren has way more training than Rey.

There's been a lot of theories about Rey since the movie premiered. I think I read the voice she hears when she's dreaming /hallucinating is Ewan MacGregor's(Obi).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

There's been a lot of theories about Rey since the movie premiered. I think I read the voice she hears when she's dreaming /hallucinating is Ewan MacGregor's(Obi).

Actually, he is there, as is Alec Guiness and Frank Oz. MacGregor and Oz both recorded theirs new while they cut down Alec Guiness saying the word "afraid" in a previous Star Wars movie in order to make it sound like he said "Rey".

I liked it; I'm not enamored with it (yet I do plan to see it again :D). I have a lot of questions about it though...Why is there an AT-AT on Jakku? How has Rey been able to survive this long without any real help? Someone posted earlier about the possibility of her being Luke's daughter. I think you may be onto something there; however, Luke, like Rey, had no knowledge of his latent power and was raised by his aunt and uncle. This Snoke guy looks pretty old. How come we've never heard of him prior to this?

@bama alum I think that was me. Now I have never seen the other ones, you know the beginning ones. But, I think that Luke may have been married to another Jedi. That's why Rey had more power than Ren= DD grandfather, Rey= Father Luke+ Grandfather DD + may be a mother. Might be why she more stronger that Ren. Got to remember DD is Luke and Leia Father. But also as Rey when to find Luke the last thing Leia said to her was let the Force Be with you!

I liked it; I'm not enamored with it (yet I do plan to see it again :D). I have a lot of questions about it though...Why is there an AT-AT on Jakku? How has Rey been able to survive this long without any real help? Someone posted earlier about the possibility of her being Luke's daughter. I think you may be onto something there; however, Luke, like Rey, had no knowledge of his latent power and was raised by his aunt and uncle. This Snoke guy looks pretty old. How come we've never heard of him prior to this?

Jakku was the location of an Empirical weapons facility and scene of a fierce battle between the Empire and the Rebels after the Emperor was killed in ROTJ. Multiple Star Destroyers were crashed into the planet to keep the Rebels from capturing them. Not sure if the AT-AT were from the weapons facility or the Star Destroyer crashes though.

Rey/Luke connection is just strongly hinted at as far as we know now.

If Snoke is who some say he may be, we have heard of him before from Palpatine. He was his old master, Darth Plagueis, who was rumored to have found a way to control death. Palpatine says he killed him but if he had found a way to control death that may not be true. Then again, he may not be that person at all. Sith are very secretive at times and he may have remained hidden for a long time.

I feel like Rey is Luke's kid but I would be surprised if he betrayed his Jedi teachings like that.

I find Kylo/Ben interesting because he is the Anakin we always wanted to see but never got - well-acted, intriguing, paradoxical.

It is interesting how he is so emotional compared to previous cold, calculating villains.

I enjoyed the references (both subtle and obvious) to the originals, such as Finn's ID number and little musical cues for certain characters or themes. Also enjoyed seeing the destroyed Empire ship on Jakku, the replaced antenna on the Falcon, etc.

The shot of the blue x wings coming over the lake on Maz's planet was sick.

For a JJ film, I was surprised that I only caught about 3-4 lens flares!

All in all, excellent start to the new trilogy. Less usage of CGI, better screenwriting, and a mix of old and new made this a huge improvement over the last trilogy. Looking forward to the next episode!

Great movie, I was a little nervous when I first heard JJ was directing this movie. JJ did a good job keeping the same look/feel from the originals.

I found it odd that Rey could keep up with Ren in the fight scene, thinking that Ren has way more training than Rey.

One theory is that Rey actually has lots of training, that she was a padawan in Luke's academy before Ren blew it all to hell. Then maybe Luke hid her away somehow, messed with her memory, etc. (Saw some evidence of Force memory powers when Ren invaded Rey's brain.)

Also, Kylo Ren just isn't as cool and menacing as Vader. Sorry, just isn't.

However, Ren has a good story going and a deep conflict within him. He isn't as far down the dark side path as Anakin/Vader went.

One thing that blew me away was Ren's temper tantrum

I agree with the "re-hash" comment someone made and there were also a lot of somewhat corny lines thrown in for the original trilogy fans. However, I thought it was pretty awesome.

I liked how it built on the past storylines and you can see history repeating itself.

Mainly, there is always a whiny, hormonal teen/early 20s character in conflict with himself: Luke, Anakin, and now Solo's kid. The tantrums played well into that conflict and brought the daddy issues to the fore.

Definitely think Luke gave into the Pink side at some point and Rey is his daughter. We had kissing siblings, now we'll have starcrossed cousins.

Again, I really liked it. Very well done. Much improved from Episodes 1-3.

Also, Kylo Ren just isn't as cool and menacing as Vader. Sorry, just isn't.

However, Ren has a good story going and a deep conflict within him. He isn't as far down the dark side path as Anakin/Vader went.

In fairness, we only got a glimpse at young Vader. He was probably as awkward before he developed with age, wisdom, and a cool as black dude's vouce

In the original trilogy (can't remember which movie) why were Princess Leia and Hans Solo laughing after Leia told Hans that she and Luke were siblings?
e6ee978e598dc717b89766a8279838bf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom