| FTBL Something different I noticed watching A-Day this year...

If I had to guess I doubt it will be done during the fall. It was more then likely just for show on A-day, but it was pretty sweet either way. Once again...that's only a guess.

ADAY2008004UPDATED.jpg

I own an Ex-Mark commercial mower with a "turf striper" that pushes the grass down in the direction that I mow. I can do some cool stuff with a nice patch of grass, but I have no idea how one would go about doing perfect circles like that on a field. It blew my little brain when I saw it. I think it would be a nice tradition to start at BDS.

It was like that last spring as well.

The grass that is down right now is not the same as what will be there this summer/fall. I don't think the summer/fall blend will do that.

Big_Fan said:

The grass that is down right now is not the same as what will be there this summer/fall. I don't think the summer/fall blend will do that.

To bad, it would add quite a unique look at BDS

Big_Fan said:

That's true. They use an overseeding in the spring so it'll be green for the A-day festivities. The cut pattern is done for it's visual effects...probably with recruits and their families in mind.

On the last bit, considering they have a hybrid Bermuda sodded on the field they could do the same patterns. Here's I suspect, it has more to do with preparation (as in time) combined with the wear and tear the field endures from fall camp the the games themselves...not to mention the strain the turf goes through during the heat of the summer time.

All grass will stripe as long as it bends. Grass bent away from you appears light, grass bent towards you appears dark. Cut in the same direction on every pass and you have no stripes.

The pattern is purely decorative. It would have taken numerous personnel and precise planning to set up for that pattern. There is no benefit to the grass from such patterns over simple ones. To avoid stress to the grass all you want to do is not mow in the same pattern for every cut. That can easily be accomplished by making vertical, opposing passes this week, horizontal opposing passes next week and diagonal passes the next.

Big_Fan said:

Last sprong it was circles. It looked pretty cool too. I was hoping they would do the circle design last fall but they didn't so I too doubt they will do this pattern this fall.

jocephus8179 said:
Big_Fan said:

Last sprong it was circles. It looked pretty cool too. I was hoping they would do the circle design last fall but they didn't so I too doubt they will do this pattern this fall.

Maybe if I would've kept reading, I would've seen that Terry and Porter have already explained that. I'm not a smart man. lol

TerryP said:

From this photo's perspective it appears to be circles, however from the sides one could see that it was in fact over-lapping arches mowed from each side. Where the arches over-lapped, it formed a football shape - which was cool. I would love to see something special like this in the fall.

Baseball fields have these patterns all the time, and are played on several times a week. I don't understand why 7-8 scattered Saturdays in the fall is too much use in our case.

Back
Top Bottom