| RECRUIT Some have suggested this.... "Josh Pate with the Alabama recruiting update."

One thing people miss in this interview/comments by Pate are that these guys are viewed as Great Developers and XO' Gameday coaches and weren't really known for big recruiting ability.

The issues other schools like Georgia, Texas, Ohio State and the like are figuring out is that they can also recruit very well

I'll use Georgia for an example right now since it's pretty relevant to the current climate of college football: Georgia has an ELITE recruiting staff, incredibly good at finding talent and bringing it in. Their issues IMO lies in their Development and X's and O's coaching. They have probably the best if not one of the best defensive guys in CFB but their Offensive side of the ball has struggled to put talented players in a position to jump into the NFL. If you look at their recruiting all these 4 and 5-sar talents a good chunk of them on offense are late round players or undrafted. I said so a few years ago when we faced them in the NCCGame and lost that Georgia's players were good on offense but not great. Todd Monken's playcalling put them way over the top. I said last year before the SEC championship that Bobo was not anywhere near as good as Monken and the difference was very obvious from the get-go. Georgia struggled on offense...take from that what you will.

I'll use Georgia for an example right now since it's pretty relevant to the current climate of college football: Georgia has an ELITE recruiting staff, incredibly good at finding talent and bringing it in. Their issues IMO lies in their Development and X's and O's coaching. They have probably the best if not one of the best defensive guys in CFB but their Offensive side of the ball has struggled to put talented players in a position to jump into the NFL. If you look at their recruiting all these 4 and 5-sar talents a good chunk of them on offense are late round players or undrafted. I said so a few years ago when we faced them in the NCCGame and lost that Georgia's players were good on offense but not great. Todd Monken's playcalling put them way over the top. I said last year before the SEC championship that Bobo was not anywhere near as good as Monken and the difference was very obvious from the get-go. Georgia struggled on offense...take from that what you will.
@bamafan9201 Sounds like you're describing a Saban team from the first 5-7 years of Saban's tenure. While we had talented guys at RB and OL that made the transition to the NFL. We didn't have a sexy high flying offense that we saw for a period late in the CNS tenure. Like the old saying Stallings had, establish the run, stop the run and win the turnover battle and you win 70 of your games. That was Saban to a T early on. Smart has emulated CNS better than any other coach under his tutelage. My question is whether or not Smart can adapt as the game changes? Smart is 9 years in.........we usually see the lull around year 12 start to creep in, but usually that 15 year mark is when most coaches hit a wall. Mack Brown (16) Phat Phil (17). While Saban still won the SEC and competed for Natty's, we saw a few things slip. People point to the defense under Golding, but my biggest gripe was penalties the last 4-5 years. That was so uncharacteristic of Saban teams early on. We lost winnable games because of penalties. The Tenn game is one for sure.

Either way, will be interesting to see how this new staff schemes and X & O's their way moving forward. I have beat this horse to death as an analogy, but Deboar coming to Bama feels like when Urban went to UF. Hottest name in coaching going to a place that he is sure of being able to win. I feel it is inevitable.

People point to the defense under Golding,
Good post btw. I think it was our run D dominance and DB play. I don't know how many times our DBs struggled on contested 50/50 balls and our interceptions seemed to decline too. Whether it was due to coaching or recruiting or both, I can't say. But I will say it seems Baramore was our last above-average interior DL (2020), and I say "above-average" because he seemed to disappear at times in games. Meanwhile Kirby started cornering the market on putting those big, 330-lbs plus, dominant DTs in the NFL.
but my biggest gripe was penalties the last 4-5 years.
And yes, penalties were crucial too. The mistake-free product Saban first put on the field early in his tenure at Bama definitely slipped, particularly as our offense became more explosive.

Back
Top Bottom