| FTBL Josh Pate- 'Big changes are coming to college football'

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure Pate is referring to the breakoff of the power conferences in some form or fashion... that snowball has been gaining momentum, helped by the many issues that have cropped up with NIL, transfer rules, calendar issues, etc. There's a lot of support for it from key players, many of which are in favor of a commissioner type to oversee it (one name that has some support is Oliver Luck).

Or, maybe they're just going to make pass interference a 10 yard penalty.

It has been coming. It is what it is.

Kirby said something about how kids opting out affected the game. (ie beating the piss out of FSU)

I can't remember who said it, but I like the idea of making them pay back NIL money for sitting out games. I do think a lot of this will go away with a 12 team play off. More teams with something to play for, but I feel as though guys opting out should be penalized.

I really don’t get the “it doesn’t mean anything if you’re not in the playoffs” argument. Most bowls meant nothing 30 years ago. Now all a sudden it’s different?????!!!!!!?????

FSU had a chance to prove the committee wrong, but they pussed out. The culture in that locker room is not all shits and giggles. This is a product of the portal, guys coming in and getting treated differently.

Hopefully, the bullshit targeting rule gets changed.. a guy can nearly rip a guy’s head off by the facemask.. He gets to remain in the game..A guy that accidentally bumps heads get tossed out..it affects games!

Hopefully, the bullshit targeting rule gets changed.. a guy can nearly rip a guy’s head off by the facemask.. He gets to remain in the game..A guy that accidentally bumps heads get tossed out..it affects games!
And if it had anything to do with “safety” of the players, they’d make them put mouth pieces in, wear helmets properly………. It’s about, “see look how much we care” BS..

And if it had anything to do with “safety” of the players, they’d make them put mouth pieces in, wear helmets properly………. It’s about, “see look how much we care” BS..
Defensive players should seek “legal action”.. it takes them out of the game more often than offense..that causes “harm” to defense players and their n.i.l.😉… It makes them scared to tackle.. that is why offense players are standing out more.. it is increasing offensive players value more than defensive players..

Like ...hitting kicker....5 for running into kicker..15 for pf...
Maybe targeting should have....2 levels...

Some are bad...leading with helmet...others...helmets colliding....
Both 15...because of danger....but one not requiring player ejected...?

Targeting is the reason you are seeing such blowouts.. watch the defensive player refuse contact, letting players off the hook..
AND… no one should be ejected for targeting, unless it is intentional on several plays..

Should be 15 yards for not wearing your mouth piece, and all the hermits tvstarent properly fastened. If it’s truly about safety it would be about safety. It has zero to do with safety of the players, it’s just a look how safety minded we are…

Should be 15 yards for not wearing your mouth piece, and all the hermits tvstarent properly fastened. If it’s truly about safety it would be about safety. It has zero to do with safety of the players, it’s just a look how safety minded we are…
My wife ask me what that sticking out of his helmet. I told her it his mouth piece.

I have no idea if it helps safety or not but I do know it is about liability issue. In a court of law they have to be able to say they are taking every safety precaution possible and they will point examples like this. So yes it is as you say "look how safety minded we are" so the can minimize their financial liability. This is a business move....

Last edited:
I have not idea if it helps safety or not but I do know it is about liability issue. In a court of law they have to be able to say they are taking every safety precaution possible and they will poiont examples like this. So yes it is as you say "look how safety minded we are" so the can minimize their financial liability. This is a business move....
yes your correct, that’s all it is. It’s not about safety….

^^^^^Here's the thread on the original tweet^^^^^

Pate has become the authority on CFB. IMO, Herbstreit held the title for a while... but the belt belongs to Pate now. And that's coming from somebody who rarely watched his shows during the season... I will sample it from time to time to see his reactions or previews to certain games. To me, the show is more interesting during the off season months, but he does a really, really good job.

Anyway, back to the topic... A family member is at the AFCA convention in Nashville right now. It was barely underway yesterday evening and all the talk was centered around much of what Pate touched on, plus the December calendar. Coaches are pissed. From the power schools all the way down to Division III. And it isn't a few bitching about the issues, it's all of them. But as Pate alluded to, it's the powerful one's that matter in this case.

Back
Top Bottom