| BSB/SB So you want to see this in Major League Baseball? (Baseball, period.) Batter protests a strike call: over turned.

I "stumbled" there. There would have to be a cap. Three per game when we can see five or six pitchers seems a little off. One per batter, per game? Same applies for each pitcher and catcher. 🤷‍♂️
Who makes the challenge call? In most cases the batter would need to check with the manager (are there challenges left? Do we challenge this one or save it for later in the game?). IMO it would just slow down the game.

IMO it would just slow down the game.
Versus the tantrums we see happen so often that take up minutes of the game today?

There's an account on X that tracks bad calls in MLB. I'm thinking...at the most I've seen four, five, maybe six in one game.

If one of the consequences is a new metric grading 'blue,' I'm all for the move ... it may separate the wheat from the chaff, ya know?

I'm not a fan of going to completely automated balls and strikes, but I do think that it is headed there sooner than later (at the MLB level). As for this idea, if I recall correctly, it is similar to what they did in the minors at some levels last season as an experiment. The first thing they needed to fix when all this started was the auto-strike zones had to be adjusted for each individual hitter, they finally figured that out and fixed it. Giving each team 3 immediate challenges, which can only be used by the hitter, pitcher, or catcher, seems to be they best way. If you win your chlannege, you keep it unless/until all 3 are used up. But the challenge must be immediate... not checking with your manager and all that stuff. Then the call turnround from upstairs needs to be in 10-15 second range, not 30-45.

I do not like the idea of it. That's the beauty of baseball, the strike zone is different for every player and different for every umpire. Therein lies the challenge and why it's the most difficult sport to succeed at. You're always guessing and have to use your brain to focus and understand that each and every pitch is independent of the last and you have to make a decision in a partial second. Computers and eyes outside of the field of play will taint the game and create more issues in my mind. Just because you have two opinions doesn't mean it's going to get it right or make everyone happy. It's convoluting the game and making it potentially messier. Look no further than replay in football and how messy it's gotten with a catch vs non-catch and targeting vs non-targeting.

Nfl evolved. Thats why it grew in popularity
Mlb refused. The sport wained

I like the timer between pitches... Speeded game up. The extra inning starting with runner on second. I don't know

I always thought batter n pitcher should be equal. Lower mound. Have 3 stikes 3 balls max 6 pitches. But. Never go that far

So Yeah. Wouldn't mine some kinda quick appeal. Some umps are dreadful.

Versus the tantrums we see happen so often that take up minutes of the game today?

There's an account on X that tracks bad calls in MLB. I'm thinking...at the most I've seen four, five, maybe six in one game.

If one of the consequences is a new metric grading 'blue,' I'm all for the move ... it may separate the wheat from the chaff, ya know?
This new ability wouldn’t be just used on bad calls, it would be used on any questionable calls and a lot of calls that just aren’t agreed with.

This new ability wouldn’t be just used on bad calls, it would be used on any questionable calls and a lot of calls that just aren’t agreed with.
As some suggested earlier, if that's the case, penalize. I like the idea of having three and keeping three if you are correct.

I don't see a lot of room for time consuming reviews. It'll say "strike or ball" and that's how it's played out.

Back
Top Bottom