| TV/MOVIES/MUSIC So who all watches wrestling

I haven't watched rasslin in years but boy did I use to. Grew up going to the old national guard armory in Florence. Some of the talent that came through during the 60's and early 70's were Len Rossi, Bearcat Brown, Tojo Yamamoto, The Mighty Yankee's, The Interins and Karl and Kirk VonBerner with gentleman Saul Winderoff (sp) just to name a very few.

Lol! Have not watched it in years, but I'll tell you what. Had a buddy when I was a teen that was totally into it, and he helped get me into it at the time.

I was a fan back in the day when (I think, and I might be wrong on the abbreviations on this) it was basically the WWF and the NWA. I was a HUGE NWA fan because of Ric Flair and some of those guys. Thought it was great action and comedy, all in the same program.

Cool story time!

In 86 or 87 my buddy's mom took us to Atlanta for the "Great American Bash". We stayed in a really nice hotel there on the outskirts of Atlanta. I mean, the hotel was unbelievable. What made it even more unbelievable was that the NWA wrestlers (or some of them) were also staying in the hotel. Swear to God, if I'm lyin' I'm dyin'!

Our next door neighbors were the Rock and Roll Express. I remember me and my friend walked out of our room and we see a couple of guys coming up the hall. It's the *^**ing Rock and Roll Express, putting their keys into the door next to us, swear to God! We were like.........................damn!

Went to the "Bash" that night, came back to the hotel and spent the rest of the night harrassing these guys. It was great as a kid. We thought we'd found the prize, no joke.

In the lobby we saw Ric Flair showboating before he entered the hotel club/bar, and yeah. He had two smoking-hot girls under his arm. My buddy's like "whoooooooo"! lol! The Midnight Express was in the lobby on the phones. We actually approached one of them (the long-heaired blond guy of the tag team) and we were like, "hey". He's thinking, get lost kids. He was like, "uh, hi. I'm on the phone".

About the last thing I remember (and this was at say, 1:30-2:00 in the morning) was us trying to follow the Barbarian and say hey to him. He had gotten on an elevator and we caught another, trying to track him down, or at least try and figure out what room he was in. We were near the top of the hotel when one of the staff (a lady) asked us what we were doing, and we told her "chasing barbarians".

That was one of the funnest nights I've ever had, no joke. As a kid (a youngteen in my case) you actually go to the Bash, then see some of those guys in your hotel, I was star-struck. Not gonna lie. It was amazing.

I have not followed wrasslin in years, but I'll never forget that weekend. It was pretty phenominal. A once in a lifetime type of thing for a kid. We just totally luck out, I think.

Let me end my little story with this one phrase that a not so wise man once said in a hotel lobby.

Whoooooooooooo!!!

Back
Top Bottom