So what do you guys/gals like to do for fun or to relax?

sk33tr

el jefe
i know we all like to watch/go to 'BAMA games. but what are some other things you like to do?

let us know what you like to do to have fun (hobby?) or just to relax and chill.

At the moment, playing Destiny on PS4 (id = rammerjammer). Great way to burn off some steam after work.

Travel is another, I like being able to see new places or old places and sharing this with my kids/wife. I prefer to stay downtown and be immersed in the city life most of the time. I'd like to take another train ride across the country, we took one up to Chicago a few years ago, really neat experience. Hoping to do a San Diego to Seattle drive early this summer and get up to Montana later in the summer for a few weeks.

Yard work is another that's about to start up, I just cut down one of the trees in the front yard yesterday. I had two bradford pear trees up front, cut one down yesterday. Hoping the weather permits me to cut the other one down today. I'll be getting 3 new trees planted later in the fall and hope to raise the canopy by 10' - 12' off the ground in about 5 years. Bradford pear trees are really bad trees, they have way too many branches that come out from the trunk, the wind out here reeks havoc on them over the years. They are probably 20 year trees and mine are about 13 years old at this point.

Messing around with our vehicles is another hobby...mostly general maintenance type of things. Changing oil, shocks, spark plugs, installing new parts, etc.

Love to grill out and enjoying cooking as well, nothing fancy or anything. Going to start working on perfecting brisket this spring. I wasn't really a fan of brisket until a few years ago when I went down to Snow's BBQ down in central Texas. Now I'm a huge fan of brisket...not sure why I protested it for so long. I've missed out for a while...

I've been toying around with the idea of starting to brew my own beer. Will probably pursue that in 6 months or so.

Last edited:
I enjoy beekeeping and have 7 hives that will be coming out within the next couple of weeks when the Red Maples start to bloom. Around here the red maple is the first tree to bloom out and it gives the bees a signal to get started. The queen will be "talked" into laying more eggs to replace those that have lived in slow motion through the winter and are about to die off.

I have about 12 acres in open field and 16 acres of hardwood trees that were planted in February of 2009. I'll sow maybe 2 acres of Jake Soybeans and another two acres of Mandan Buckwheat for the honeybees to mix with the 10 acres or so of Crimson Clover to make a deliciously sweet honey. Last year I harvested over 140 lbs. (almost 15 gallons) of honey from 4 producing hives. This year I'm expecting 6 of the 7 to produce and hopefully another bountiful crop.

I'm also the only active caregiver for my 83 year old dad who suffers from Parkinson Disease. Last year I was able to carry him fishing maybe a dozen times but he has really went down this winter but I hope to spend a good bit of time fishing again with him as well. I have an uncle who has a stocked pond and told my dad he'd clean and cook everything we caught out of his pond. I don't think you can beat an offer like that and we enjoyed lots of good catfish last spring, summer and fall.

@planomateo, you mentioned brewing your beer, I'd like to distill my own whiskey. My late Father-In-Law was a moonshiner most of his life and I know how he did it. The trouble of that is in Alabama, our leaders are so conservative that it's against the law to even brew beer let alone distill Whiskey. With my gambling luck, I'd be watching next years Bama games from a federal prison so I'm probably not going to try that right yet.

I'd probably have that luck as well @Bamabww. Alabama was the last state to allow self brewing of beer...weird.

From Saturday, one tree on the trailer, the other was still standing when I took this photo. Tree weighed roughly 1000 lbs minus the trunk section, which I put in the trashcan. Cut the other tree down Sunday, made two trips to the dump today. Saved myself about $700 doing this myself.

20150307_154413_zpsehmgbgr0.jpg

Reading .. lots and lots of reading.

Travel .. or, rather, dreaming of travel.

Hiking.

Collecting state quarters, foreign currency, license plates, beer bottle caps (craft) ..

Beer sample parties.

Listening to music. Classic rock, alt rock, indie rock, folk rock, folk, alt country, etc.

Back
Top Bottom