Smoked Ham for Cuban Sandwiches

RollllTide!

HEY Get up your killing the grass!
We are cooking fresh ham to make Cuban Sandwiches. Here are the steps:

Get your coals going with smoke only for 200 degrees heat, and place the meat on the grill for about 20 minutes.

startcook1.jpg

No heat and after the initial smoking add the rub that you want to the meat. We use lemon pepper, cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder. This initial smoking will infuse the meat with a great mild smoky flavor all the way through the meat.

startcook2.5.jpg

You will raise the heat to 250 degrees and cook for 5 to 8 hours. (According to the size) Check the Bark color after 5 hours. I add wood every 30 minutes to keep the heat around 250. After you get it turning brown then raise the heat up to 350 to set the bark.

startcook3.jpg

After you cook for 2 more hours on higher heat. 350 degrees does it for me. It gets the bark turning dark brown.

startcook5.jpg

After you get this bark on the meat you wrap it. Sometimes it will take up to 8 hours. What matters is that you cook it on low heat. After you double wrap it with foil then you can cook it on 350 degrees for a couple of hours. At this point I just use charcoal instead of wood. I let it stay on the grill till time to eat. You can always keep it around 200 degrees to keep it warm.

You will have to use an electric knife to cut it because it will be too tender to cut with a regular knife unless you want to pull it with forks.

We will use this as a layer for our Cuban Sandwiches on Game Day Tomorrow. Pork, Ham, Salami, Dill pickles, Mayo, and Mustard on a soft roll. I will post pics tomorrow of the finished product. Also you can smoke some Conecuh sausage as a snack as you are cooking.
[MENTION=39]Doemasters[/MENTION] Here are the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom