| FTBL SI.com : Mathieu hopes to return next fall, but possible NCAA violations may stand in way

TerryP

Staff
The smell of deep-fried tailgates and Cajun spices fills the air. Beer funnels swish and gurgle. Footballs fly, and an electricity pulses through the revelers in rhythm with the beat of the LSU marching band. It's game night in Baton Rouge and anything feels possible.

Wading through the sea of purple and gold inside Tiger Stadium is an unlikely spectator in a jungle-themed snap-back hat and a red NOTORIOUS B.I.G. shirt. He's small but draws a big crowd; fans come over to wish him well and pose for pictures. One female student leans in and says,

"Hey, you going out tonight?"

In a soft voice he replies, "I don't go out anymore."

"Why not?" the girl asks.

He doesn't answer, letting the question hang in the thick bayou night, and by halftime he is gone. Amid the party he leaves behind, his former teammates cruise to a 41-3 win over Washington.

A year ago 5' 9", 175-pound cornerback Tyrann Mathieu emerged as one of the best players in college football. With a nickname that summed up his playing style, the Honey Badger took what he wanted all season, forcing six fumbles, grabbing two interceptions, racking up 15.6 yards per punt return and scoring four touchdowns. During a 13-1, SEC-championship-winning season that ended with a 21-0 loss to Alabama in the BCS title game, Mathieu's playmaking swung or sealed victories, and he became only the third defensive player since 1994 to be named a Heisman Trophy finalist.

But everything changed for Mathieu on Aug. 10, when LSU dismissed him from the team for failing multiple drug tests; two sources close to Mathieu say the drug was marijuana. At that point Mathieu could have transferred to a lower-division school, played out his junior season -- thought to be his last in college anyway -- and awaited his certain selection in the NFL draft. Instead he underwent four weeks of drug rehabilitation with John Lucas in Houston before returning to school. The unconfirmed aim for the 20-year-old Mathieu, who declined to speak to SI, is to play for the Tigers next year. But that possibility may be more tenuous than he knows: Since last January, Mathieu has allowed his image to be used on a flyer promoting an event at a local night club, appeared in several promotional videos online and, multiple sources told SI, received benefits at the club that could affect his eligibility.

For now he lives by himself off campus and takes classes. Banned from the football facility, he works out in the LSU rec center. If the crossroads he has arrived at -- between redeeming his football career or squandering it, between old loyalties and new priorities -- feels familiar to him, it should: Three decades ago his father came to the same point and washed out in a spiral of drugs and violence.

The path forward seems simple enough: Stop smoking, get to the NFL, enjoy the fruits of success. But for Mathieu that's not so easy. It means negotiating complex family dynamics, distancing himself from lifelong friends and supporting a baby boy due in January. "I'm not making excuses for my brother," says 21-year-old Darrineka Mathieu, "but I would smoke too, dealing with everything."

Seriously? A player suspended for drug abuse is the cover athlete for SI? Keep giving the kid press. I'm sick of every big DB play being referred to by CBS as a Honey Badger or Tyrann Mathieu play. Ugh.

Aren't there any better choices for SI this week to put on the cover? How about Texas Tech, Notre Dame, the Nationals meltdown in the playoffs.

It means negotiating complex family dynamics, distancing himself from lifelong friends and supporting a baby boy due in January. "I'm not making excuses for my brother," says 21-year-old Darrineka Mathieu, "but I would smoke too, dealing with everything."

...but is that not the reason he has these things to deal with? LOL, please, somebody get this family a PR person. Or else suggest to the peanut shack that they wait and show up with their quotables when he's interviewing with someone who's not SI.

I kinda look at the Tyrann issue a little differently.

I don't see any issue with him getting some money for his name - I don't know why the NCAA would have an issue with it to be honest, he's not playing and more than anything @$%# the NCAA. I also commend Tyrann for not going the easy route (it could negatively impact his NFL future by not actually playing for a team right now) - he went to treatment and enrolled in college vs going to a smaller school and immediately getting playing time and going back to Div I - hoping that things would change for the better and he could play at LSU.

Did SI do an above the table interview? - I read some things that suggest they never gave the journalists an official interview...who knows.

Do I know what all happened at LSU, nope. Do I think he should get another chance - yup, but not sure it should be at LSU - as I don't know all the details of what he did at LSU - I know the rumors, but not the details. I've definitely grown more compassionate with age, probably has more to do with having kids of my own and watching them grow and make mistakes and wanting to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Its hard for me to wrap my expectations on people because I was brought up one way and had some pretty solid role models - I didn't always make the best choices. I couldn't imagine how things would be if I didn't have those strong role models growing up.

I think the potential NCAA problem Plano is that he was used on a promo the weekend following the BCS title game in NOLA. This woulda been during his eligibility and not since he has been booted from the team. Improper benefits and this could affect the "glorious" season had by LSwho last year.

Back
Top Bottom