| FTBL SI.com: 'Bama receiving hefty returns on Saban investment...

• Thread starter imported_Porter
  • Start date
Re: SI.com: 'Bama receiving hefty returns on Saban investmen

Porter said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/wires/10/09/2060.ap.fbc.t25.bama.s.investment.adv11.1383/index.html

Thanks, Porter. A cerebral article that objectively examines the situation at Alabama. Nice to finally see one of those.

Quite possibly, the following quote is the first time I have seen media, outside the state of Alabama, acknowledge the following statement:

From a pure economic standpoint, Saban was the one making the questionable move, since he took a pay cut from his $5 million salary with the Dolphins to return to the college ranks.

That's what we all know but no one else wants to admit because they want to leverage the "mercenary" tag on Coach Saban. To lump him into the same category as a Bobby Patrino is non-valid based on this one fact alone. I am glad SI had the courage to finally admit this small but important fact. Now, please, forward this over to some of the east coast a-holes that appear on ESPN!

"For some die-hard supporters of the University of Alabama, if they were to win a national championship it wouldn't have mattered what they're paying,'' said Louis Marino, an associate professor of entrepreneurship and strategic management in the university's business school.

"I don't think he's happy unless he's coaching or recruiting,'' Krauss said.

Defensive end Lorenzo Washington says Saban's salary talk has been overblown.

"People just think they're giving him the money,'' Washington said. "He works for everything. He's up here before everybody and leaves after everybody. He's worth every penny.''

I like what i read!!!!

bamafan4ever said:
Quite possibly, the following quote is the first time I have seen media, outside the state of Alabama, acknowledge the following statement:

From a pure economic standpoint, Saban was the one making the questionable move, since he took a pay cut from his $5 million salary with the Dolphins to return to the college ranks.

That's what we all know but no one else wants to admit because they want to leverage the "mercenary" tag on Coach Saban. To lump him into the same category as a Bobby Patrino is non-valid based on thttp://www.crimsontusks.com/posting.php?mode=quote&p=289937his one fact alone. I am glad SI had the courage to finally admit this small but important fact. Now, please, forward this over to some of the east coast a-holes that appear on ESPN!

Petrino took a pay cut taking the Arkansas job as well...he went from 4.8M to 2.85M.

In fact, it was a tad more of a pay cut than Saban had last year.

TerryP said:
bamafan4ever said:

That's what we all know but no one else wants to admit because they want to leverage the "mercenary" tag on Coach Saban. To lump him into the same category as a Bobby Patrino is non-valid based on thttp://www.crimsontusks.com/posting.php?mode=quote&p=289937his one fact alone. I am glad SI had the courage to finally admit this small but important fact. Now, please, forward this over to some of the east coast a-holes that appear on ESPN!

Petrino took a pay cut taking the Arkansas job as well...he went from 4.8M to 2.85M.

Not to hijack this thread, but honestly I think Petrino's move was GREAT, and the perfect time for him. Yes I disagree with how he did it. He was in WAY over his head in Atlanta. and if he had stayed his value would have dropped drastically, and he probably would have been fired, and unemployed.

AS far as the article goes. I think it was great. It was also nice to see a media source also admit that Saban is NOT the highest paid coach.

TerryP said:
bamafan4ever said:

That's what we all know but no one else wants to admit because they want to leverage the "mercenary" tag on Coach Saban. To lump him into the same category as a Bobby Patrino is non-valid based on this one fact alone. I am glad SI had the courage to finally admit this small but important fact. Now, please, forward this over to some of the east coast a-holes that appear on ESPN!

Thanks Terry. I used a bad analogy however the point I was attempting to make is the same. It's the first time I have seen it acknowledged by the national media that Saban took an actual pay cut to come to Alabama. Fill in the name of your favorite mercenary coach if it makes you feel better. :D

million dollar man

I remember the sitcom with the million dollar man from the 70's. Saban is worth every single penny. He can run faster than Lee Majors and he doesn't even have an artificial hip.

Coaches are always paid what they are worth. No more No less. Winning a NC should gain him even more. Bama is worth it. We need to showcase our state with winning. We are also worth it.

RollllTide!

Back
Top Bottom