| FTBL Should the NCAA put in a tampering rule?

Bamapossum

Verified Member
Let me preface this by saying that I am not a fan of the NCAA, nor am I a proponent of adding rules and laws. I believe that we have enough rules, laws, and taxes to do us 10 lifetimes; however, being an occasional Devil’s advocate, I have to ask this question: Should the NCAA look into enacting a “no tamper” clause into coaching contracts like the NFL does?

College football will never again be the innocent, amateur sport that it once was. The infusion of big time sponsors and television deals has driven the money into the stratosphere. College coaches are on the cusp of making NFL salaries. Unlike the NFL, colleges can cut a coach’s throat in heartbeat, and coaches can cut and run on a whim. The contracts aren’t really anything but glorified paper and the end of every season is getting wilder with coaching rumors.

The colleges invest a lot of time and money into their programs to watch them get washed away when their coach runs into the arms of the next awaiting school. Coaches invest a great deal of sweat and pain in their programs to watch helplessly as fickle fanbases and impatient boosters demand their heads on platters. Could an NCAA rule punishing schools for tampering with another school’s coach work in slowing this stuff down a little?

If XYZ State goes after ABC University’s coach in an attempt to breach his contract, XYZ State has to relinquish 10 scholarships over a two-year period. This might not be the only way it could be done, but would it help?

I believe people have a right to work wherever they want to and employers can hire whomever they want to, but I also understand the reason for contracts. I am a contract worker. If I breach my contract, the penalties are real enough to hurt me financially. If my employer breaches my contract, they have to pay me for doing nothing and still hire someone else to do my job. This contract works because the penalties for breaching it are prohibitive enough to keep both sides honest. Since so much money is being thrown around in the NCAA now, the monetary penalties are pretty much a joke. Would throwing in a scholarship penalty make it more honest?

The peanut is neither a pea nor is it a nut.

Discuss it amongst yourselves.

I am a handshake kind of guy. You make a deal with me and we shake on it, you have my word. Not that I am some kind of perfect person here, I have made my share of mistakes, but you want find me welching on a deal with you. My point, accountability, these coaches need to honor their own word, and these colleges need to use common sense and respect the college affected. If they contact the college before talking to the coach, to me its up to the coach from that point forward.

Basic morals are not applied anymore. Screw the NCAA, any law they pass they will find a way to fit it to their agenda. People need to start doing a self audit on themselves. It is a crying shame that todays standards are accepting this kind of nonsense.

Bama1966 said:
I am a handshake kind of guy. You make a deal with me and we shake on it, you have my word. Not that I am some kind of perfect person here, I have made my share of mistakes, but you want find me welching on a deal with you. My point, accountability, these coaches need to honor their own word, and these colleges need to use common sense and respect the college affected. If they contact the college before talking to the coach, to me its up to the coach from that point forward.

Basic morals are not applied anymore. Screw the NCAA, any law they pass they will find a way to fit it to their agenda. People need to start doing a self audit on themselves. It is a crying shame that todays standards are accepting this kind of nonsense.
Exactly my thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom