| FTBL Should College Football players be paid?

Should College Football players be paid?

• Total voters
G

I saw this debate on BamaMag and I was wondering what this board's opinion would be.

Should College Football players get paid some type salary or stipend?

Me, I don't think so. They get a free eductation along with room and board. This should be payment enough in my book

On the one hand, I agree with you guys, but there are 2 sides to every coin. My point is this:

What is the advantage for a kid to stay in school and risk getting a career ending injury when he has X.2 million dollars waiting for him at the next level. I know the education is the point, but when you are 18 years old and your parents can't send you any money, you're not allowed to borrow money from anybody and the rich guy is taking the love of your life out everynight...AND on top of that, you're getting an opportunity to make millions thrown at you...what would you do?

Most college athletes cannot work because of their rigorous schedules, a little bit of spending cash so that they can go on a date doesn't sound too bad to me. It's not like the universities aren't making millions off of using them.

I didn't vote on this poll, I'm not sure where I stand on this issue.

RTR
BamaSon25

BamaSon25 said:
On the one hand, I agree with you guys, but there are 2 sides to every coin. My point is this:

What is the advantage for a kid to stay in school and risk getting a career ending injury when he has X.2 million dollars waiting for him at the next level. I know the education is the point, but when you are 18 years old and your parents can't send you any money, you're not allowed to borrow money from anybody and the rich guy is taking the love of your life out everynight...AND on top of that, you're getting an opportunity to make millions thrown at you...what would you do?

Most college athletes cannot work because of their rigorous schedules, a little bit of spending cash so that they can go on a date doesn't sound too bad to me. It's not like the universities aren't making millions off of using them.

I didn't vote on this poll, I'm not sure where I stand on this issue.

RTR
BamaSon25
I can see your point but don't agree with it one bit Parker. How many people period can't afford to goto college, I'm talking smart kids who's parents can't afford it. Hell it costs out the ass to goto an out of state school these days. Student athletes on scholarships have it made regarding their education, if they get hurt, thats the risk they take playing sports, what if they had gotten hurt in high school, even though they knew they were good enough to goto college? Most people never take into consideration how much money each athlete saves by being on scholarship, if they think they should get paid, they should dream on. This is a chance 9 out of 10 college students/high school students will never get, the ones that do get the full ride need to sit back and think. Hey they get an education, if they graduate they get a priceless degree that is ALWAYS something to fall back on if they do get hurt in college or the pros.

But if you have EVER hung around football complexes at any major college and see what these kids are driving, you will agree with me, these kids aren't really hurting for money and handouts.......

Pay them and pay them good. :wink:

No really, this is a tough one. I think they should get some small stipend for food and misc. expenses. Because of their rigorous schedule they aren't able to work for the most part. I totally agree about the free education and the fabulous opportunity that affords, but at the same time that doesn't put food and basic necessities in their hands.

i say no. For the reasons that have already been brought up and also for the can of worms it would open up. You couldn't just pay the football players....you'd have to pay every other athlete in every other sport as well. And what about those schools that have more sports programs than others. What about the schools that don't take in multi-millions of dollars on one sports program like an Alabama does? How would you decide when enough is enough? Would athletes get the same amount of money regardless of the sport? Do you pay them all equally or by talent? How would you negotiate the payments....like a private contract or like a wage? What about walk-ons? What if the players organize a "stoppage" for more money? And there's plenty of other things that i'm probably not even thinking about. It's an amateur sport and it should remain that way. Paying players would complicate things and undermine the purpose of why they're there....to get an education. i know that last point's debatable since plenty of them aren't doing that as it is, but paying them couldn't make things better. It could also undermine the educational purpose of the school itself as it would turn one aspect of the school into a business more than anything else. It might raise ticket prices and prices on everything else....so on and so on.

Plus, not only do many players get a degree, but you got to think that they have an advantage on the job market having already been a name and face that people recognize....and sometimes a player that people look up to. They aren't paying me to do ads for Tuscaloosa Chevrolet....they're paying Jay Barker :lol:

I voted yes...for "date money" stipend.

Division I athletics (particularly football) require so much time out of student athletes that there is simply no way they have time for a part time job, studies, and athletics.

The athletes supply a product we demand (football) and are willing to fork over our hard earned $$ to pack BDS. IMO they should at least be able to have enough $$ to take their girl out for dinner and a movie.

I think a small stipend would also decrease the temptation to take $$ from unscrupulous boosters.

I don't necessarily think they should get "paid" so I voted no. HOWEVER, I do think that they should have an "allowance" because they are not allowed to have a job and if they did, when would they have the time? Most of the kids who play college football come from lower to middle class households and their parents cannot afford to pay their other expenses besides Tuition & Board. What about meals, clothes, school supplies, and other things a college kid does? If these kids had an "allowance", I don't think we'd have to worry about the "boosters" in the first place. Anyway, that's my take on it.

I thought if you were an athlete you could not get a job, whether you wanted one or not?

I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere a while back, against the rules or sommeat? I'll see if I can dig that up somewhere. :oops:

Well, the way I see it, if you're starting, you're getting paid anyway. So no, don't pay them. if you're worth a damn ya got it, if ya ain't ya dont.

Allow the Athelete to be able to go out and get a sponsor or sponsors. Create a monetary cap for each Athelete. Establish an account to be paid out weekly by the school so it can be tracked. Athletes to use this sponsor money for petty expensies such as going to a movie or out to eat. Gas money etc. Every Atelete from a Tennis player to a football player would have the same opportunity. Family members , friend fans contribute to the fun fund. If cap is reached allow it to go to another athelete. Just a though to make it legal to help the student athelete.

I feel as if they should not get paid due to them coming out of college with no debt. 80% of other college kids would take that in a heartbeat. I also feel as if they are getting an opportunity to jump to the Top 1% of all income earners by playing football and these schools giving them the platform to do so. Any of y'all graduate school and have a $5,000,000 a year job waiting on you and begging you to come to work for them?

And don't feel sorry for these guys, they're taken care of if you know what I mean. Don't be naive to think these guys are dead broke and can't do anything outside of school in football, because you'd be lying to yourself if you think that. The funny thing is, a vast majority of college kids that are paying for their own school are broke as a joke, so why should anyone feel bad for the guys getting to go for free? Raman noodles, beenie weenies, cheap ass beer, it's the truth, not some fake story that's made it's way around from campus to campus over time. It's a struggle for everyone. Use the opportunity to get educated. If you waste your time focusing solely on sports, you deserve anything that comes your way if sports doesn't work out. The opportunity is there, so take advantage and make the right decision. If your family has been broke ever since you were little, what's another six to eight months in the scheme of things?

On board with the "date money" idea. Since they are not really allowed to work, like other students, then they should be able to have a few bucks in their pocket to buy bubble gum and pizza OR deer antler spray and evan Williams.

Back
Top Bottom