| FTBL Should College Football players be paid?

Should College Football players be paid?

• Total voters
On the one hand, I agree with you guys, but there are 2 sides to every coin. My point is this:

What is the advantage for a kid to stay in school and risk getting a career ending injury when he has X.2 million dollars waiting for him at the next level. I know the education is the point, but when you are 18 years old and your parents can't send you any money, you're not allowed to borrow money from anybody and the rich guy is taking the love of your life out everynight...AND on top of that, you're getting an opportunity to make millions thrown at you...what would you do?

Most college athletes cannot work because of their rigorous schedules, a little bit of spending cash so that they can go on a date doesn't sound too bad to me. It's not like the universities aren't making millions off of using them.

I didn't vote on this poll, I'm not sure where I stand on this issue.

RTR
BamaSon25

This is why they approved the "full cost of attendance" and have a stipend for athletes. So they get room, board, books and education along with "pizza money" for the little time off they have.

The bigger issue is how much do you pay them? What is the value of their efforts? The big conference teams make money from TV contracts, but what about smaller schools? Paying athletes makes the playing field uneven and the big schools will get bigger while the smaller schools would most likely have to drop their programs. Boosters would certainly throw money into the pot making it even more uneven.

No to paying but all of the following should be a given.

They should have access to 3 meals and 3 snacks, every day, provided by the athletic department.(That is now part of the P5 agreement, so good)
They should all have 4 year scholarships, only way to lose them is by failing, getting charged with a felony or more than one misdemeanor or failing to show up for team activities(practice, meetings, etc) multiple times.
Some form of medical insurance provided for them, for the duration of their time on campus.
Their housing should be paid for, either in dorms or apartments(special deals made with the University).
Transportation should be provided to and from classes and practice, not that each be given a vehicle but some sort of bus/taxi service.
They should be provided with decent clothing, school specific, for 14 days worth plus a suit for formal occasions. Athletic department provides washers and dryers plus pays for dry cleaning of suits, whenever needed.
If all of those are provided, there would be no need of any money given to the players.
The universities recruited them and makes a lot of money off of them, only right to take care of their basic needs.

Actually, they are paid. Free room and board, free education, attractive girls falling all over them, the right to say thay they played college football at Alabama, lots of stuff when they play in a bowl game, and if they made decent grades, even if they werent good enough to play pro ball, how many get excellant jobs because they played football? Seriously, I can not put a price on how it would feel to walk out onto Bryant Denny wearing the crimson.

No to paying but all of the following should be a given.

They should have access to 3 meals and 3 snacks, every day, provided by the athletic department.(That is now part of the P5 agreement, so good)
They should all have 4 year scholarships, only way to lose them is by failing, getting charged with a felony or more than one misdemeanor or failing to show up for team activities(practice, meetings, etc) multiple times.
Some form of medical insurance provided for them, for the duration of their time on campus.
Their housing should be paid for, either in dorms or apartments(special deals made with the University).
Transportation should be provided to and from classes and practice, not that each be given a vehicle but some sort of bus/taxi service.
They should be provided with decent clothing, school specific, for 14 days worth plus a suit for formal occasions. Athletic department provides washers and dryers plus pays for dry cleaning of suits, whenever needed.

If all of those are provided, there would be no need of any money given to the players.
The universities recruited them and makes a lot of money off of them, only right to take care of their basic needs.

I highlighted what is more than what the "normal" student gets. That makes them against NCAA rules. The athletic department does give them clothes and shoes as a part of their Nike agreement. They do get access to three meals and snacks. I like the four-year scholarship idea. In terms of medical insurance, if a player is sick, they go to the training staff. It's not insurance, but they are taken care of. Housing is taken care of. If they move out of a dorm, they get a housing allowance relative to the market. If they want a "nicer" place to live, it's on them.

I highlighted what is more than what the "normal" student gets. That makes them against NCAA rules. The athletic department does give them clothes and shoes as a part of their Nike agreement. They do get access to three meals and snacks. I like the four-year scholarship idea. In terms of medical insurance, if a player is sick, they go to the training staff. It's not insurance, but they are taken care of. Housing is taken care of. If they move out of a dorm, they get a housing allowance relative to the market. If they want a "nicer" place to live, it's on them.
Yeah, I know those you highlighted are not currently allowed but they should be. Many of the things they currently get are not provided to regular students but then regular students don't make millions for the school.

With all of my suggestions put into place, they should have no need of any money. Then they can either go onto the NFL or take advantage of the education for payment. They can then use the suit provided for interviews. It does not have to be an Armani, just a standard suit.

There is a bus service that runs on campus. It has stops at Coleman and around campus. Crimson Ride is the service. The football facility has a doctor, dentist, etc. if needed.

Based off conversations I have had with former college football players including both a scholarship and a walk-on they both said players shouldn't be played. They are given so much from free tuition, room & board, and not to mention a nutritionist and trainer. They also have access to tutors and other things to help them through school.

They do get a per diem and I believe maybe they should get some sort of allowance.

Based off conversations I have had with former college football players including both a scholarship and a walk-on they both said players shouldn't be played. They are given so much from free tuition, room & board, and not to mention a nutritionist and trainer. They also have access to tutors and other things to help them through school.

They do get a per diem and I believe maybe they should get some sort of allowance.

I know quiet a few who disagree, they didn't go to a power 5 schools either. One went to the Air Force Academy and played baseball under LSU's current baseball coach. Everyone needs some spending money, hard to find a job that works with schedules, and when you do find one people think you're getting some extra benefit by a booster who's just giving you money under the table.

I'm conflicted on the topic. I didn't go to college until much later in life, went while I was working in my mid 20's/30's via night school. I do believe that getting a free education is priceless, not to mention having the opportunity to be part of something much bigger than you. Many college students never get to experience what it's like to be part of a team working towards a common goal. It's hard to put a value on all of this to me, but I also understand that many athletes families don't have the means to provide them with the things they need or just some spending money. The school doesn't provide it all either, but they are starting to provide some of these things over the last few years.

Yup, I'm a proud sidewalk/tshirt fan.

I know quiet a few who disagree, they didn't go to a power 5 schools either. One went to the Air Force Academy and played baseball under LSU's current baseball coach. Everyone needs some spending money, hard to find a job that works with schedules, and when you do find one people think you're getting some extra benefit by a booster who's just giving you money under the table.

I'm conflicted on the topic. I didn't go to college until much later in life, went while I was working in my mid 20's/30's via night school. I do believe that getting a free education is priceless, not to mention having the opportunity to be part of something much bigger than you. Many college students never get to experience what it's like to be part of a team working towards a common goal. It's hard to put a value on all of this to me, but I also understand that many athletes families don't have the means to provide them with the things they need or just some spending money. The school doesn't provide it all either, but they are starting to provide some of these things over the last few years.

Yup, I'm a proud sidewalk/tshirt fan.

If one went to the AFA, s/he was getting paid. All students at AFA, USMA and USNA get paid because they are in the service.

I don't think you'll find 100% agreement on getting paid/not getting paid. If offered, kids will take money.

If one went to the AFA, s/he was getting paid. All students at AFA, USMA and USNA get paid because they are in the service.

I don't think you'll find 100% agreement on getting paid/not getting paid. If offered, kids will take money.

Yes, but that pay is to assist with other responsibilities due to being part of a service academy (uniform allowance, etc.). After all the deductions, fees, etc they might pocket $1000-$2000 for the year.

I'd have to ask to get more details, I work with a few service academy graduates. I would imagine to cover the cost of all the extra expenses as part of being in a service academy. Military pay isn't going to many anyone rich, far from it.

I'd have to ask to get more details, I work with a few service academy graduates. I would imagine to cover the cost of all the extra expenses as part of being in a service academy. Military pay isn't going to many anyone rich, far from it.

I'm not talking about just the military. If the debate is pay/not pay athletes, is it to cover the incidental costs or to pay them more? Whatever would happen, the student-athletes need to live within their means. If they don't have the money for pizza this week, don't go out and order pizza.

Back
Top Bottom