Security camera / system recommendations

Bamabww

Bench Warmer
My father-in-law, 89, is living in a nursing home now and care for his home / property has become my responsibility. I'm looking for a camera that I can use to photograph / record any visitors that may show up. His property is located in a forest and the nearest neighbor is almost 5 miles away. Cell phone service is very unreliable if present at all. No one lives in the house anymore. We are keeping the yard mowed, lights on timers and normal upkeep to give the impression someone is there but it's only a matter of time until someone figures out the place is not lived in.

I have two main items I think I need: 1.) infrared technology so there won't be a flash when a photo is taken. 2.) motion activated to around 60 to 70 feet consistently. I have tried one from Academy sports, a Browning, which claimed to do the two main things I listed above but did not. I could only get a consistent activation no farther than 35 feet in the day time. I'm sure it would be much less at night.

I've searched the web and kinda know what's available but I'd like the advice of someone who has actually used some type of system like I need.
I'll appreciate any advice or suggestions.

I have deer cameras setup all over and even way up in trees pointing down, are you trying to find something that will email you when it goes off or something to contact a security company

Like Doe said, concealed deer/game cameras are the way to go, and if there is one way in and one way out, try to get an angle that would get a picture of a tag or at least a make and model of a vehicle. From someone who deals with this kind of thing for a living, I can tell you, for the most part, low end surveillance cameras are pretty much worthless for identifying folks in most cases like that unless you are lucky enough to get a close up face shot and it's a known criminal to the local authorities. Provide them with a shot of a vehicle tag, and you're gonna be in business (of course it wouldn't hurt to have some photos of any people to go with it).

I hadn't thought about contacting a security company but more along the lines of recording for later viewing although I wouldn't mind being notified. The fact that the house is so remote causes many more problems about notification, whether to me or local authorities. The idea of photographing a car tag is more doable than photographing them entering the building. I have a grouping of trees in front of the house to mount / hide cameras on but they are 45 to 50 feet away from the front entrance to the house. The game camera I mentioned using above wouldn't activate anywhere near the front of the house in day light. It would be useless at night. There is giant oak right by the only driveway I could use to photograph a car / tag possibly. Appreciate the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom