| FTBL SEC Scheduling Guidelines

G

I was wondering if any could explain or provide a link to a page that explains the scheduling process for SEC schedules. I had seen a site that explained it before but can't find it for the life of me. Thanks for any and all help.

I can't find a link, but I'll try to explain it. Each team is scheduled to play each of their division teams. Each team is to play two rotating teams from the opposite division(one home game, one away game), while choosing to play a traditional rival from the other division every year.

Example:

Bama's traditional rival from East = Tennessee.
Bama's two rotating east division teams are Kentucky(home) and Georgia(away).

For Bama, I think it's currently set up like this....

Home -- Away

2008 = Kentucky -- Georgia
2009 = South Carolina -- Kentucky
2010 = Florida -- South Carolina
2011 = Vanderbilt -- Florida
2012 = Georgia -- Vanderbilt
2013 = Kentucky -- Georgia

Hope that is correct AND makes sense.

Three general rules:

1) Do not schedule any Alabama opponent a conference game the week prior to their game with Alabama (only something like five times in the last three years, including this season, has a team have had to play Alabama the week after another conference game - something that only happens once I think this year (Tennessee versus Miss State).

2) Schedule a conference game for all Arkansas opponents the week prior to their game with Arkansas (something that happens six times this year I believe).

3) Schedule all other teams with a balanced list of opponents who play conference games the week prior with those who do not.

Pretty much sums things up.

alagator said:
Three general rules:

1) Do not schedule any Alabama opponent a conference game the week prior to their game with Alabama (only something like five times in the last three years, including this season, has a team have had to play Alabama the week after another conference game - something that only happens once I think this year (Tennessee versus Miss State).

2) Schedule a conference game for all Arkansas opponents the week prior to their game with Arkansas (something that happens six times this year I believe).

3) Schedule all other teams with a balanced list of opponents who play conference games the week prior with those who do not.

That's pretty amazing (item #1). I will say this, UGA doesn't catch a break by playing an OOC game before BAMA this year due to them having to travel back from Tempe, AZ. after playing Arizona St.

bamafan4ever said:
alagator said:
Three general rules:

That's pretty amazing (item #1). I will say this, UGA doesn't catch a break by playing an OOC game before BAMA this year due to them having to travel back from Tempe, AZ. after playing Arizona St.
But, you will note that Georgia plays a non-conference game the week prior to the UA-UGa game. That means the SEC adhered to Rule #1 - do not schedule a SEC game for Georgia the week before they play UA.

For all the SEC office knew, if UGa was going to play a team with 'State' in their name it would be a team from Tennessee instead of Arizona. Most likely the SEC thought Georgia would do like I think five SEC teams do the week prior to playing UA - just take the week off.

Back
Top Bottom