| FTBL Say One Good Thing About The State Of Missouri

Nothing good about Missouri that I know of
Several years ago (2010) I was in Hannibal, MO, and took a tour of the home where Samuel Clemens grew up. Tom Sawyer, and "Huckleberry Fin, are both set in MO on the Mississippi (as you surely know.) Both books/characters were childhood favorites. Heck, I could read one right now.

It was much like some of the plantations, etc., around here. I could really get a "sense" of the place ... easy to imagine what it was like for him growing up.

I can "get lost" in those settings. It's largely the fault of my imagination. It's just easy to look at the smallest trinket and create a story around it...likely being true. It was the same there. I see a plate and start wondering about the food that was on it as much as who was eating there. Then it's, "where's the stove?"

Stockton Lake.

Two years ago the regional finals for kayak fishing were held there. I want to say the winner had 27". (Five bass total length.)

I think it was 1983. My brother and I camped there on Stockton Lake one night. It was our first night on the road of a three week trip. My brother had to be in Denver on a particular date for his job. We arrived two days early for his job in Denver, so we drove to Roosevelt NF near Boulder and camped in the mountains near a small lake. Almost froze to death. Don't remember much about Stockton Lake, but do remember that it impressed me as being a very pretty area and wished I had fishing rod with me.

In Roosevelt National Forest

DSCN8651(2).jpg

Last edited:
Don't remember much about Stockton Lake, but do remember that it impressed me as being a very pretty area and wished I had fishing rod with me.
The biggest difference between that reservoir and the one I fish A LOT is ... gators.

The one thing that sticks out in my mind about Stockton is something my friend said, "it's HUGE." Considering we fish Lake Moultrie and Marion often...the reservoir a couple of miles from me...for him to say, "HUGE," it's big body of water. I seem to recall something like 39 sq miles.

The biggest difference between that reservoir and the one I fish A LOT is ... gators.

The one thing that sticks out in my mind about Stockton is something my friend said, "it's HUGE." Considering we fish Lake Moultrie and Marion often...the reservoir a couple of miles from me...for him to say, "HUGE," it's big body of water. I seem to recall something like 39 sq miles.

I knew Stockton was large, 39 miles large? Dang. We arrived at the campground late in the afternoon tired and road weary. We se up camp. ate supper and looked around the campground a little while, Didn't take time to really explore the area. We sacked out kind of early and hit the road again early morning after a breakfast of cantaloupe. Things I remember and things I don't.

I knew Stockton was large, 39 miles large? Dang. We arrived at the campground late in the afternoon tired and road weary. We se up camp. ate supper and looked around the campground a little while, Didn't take time to really explore the area. We sacked out kind of early and hit the road again early morning after a breakfast of cantaloupe. Things I remember and things I don't.
Screenshot 2024-10-22 12.58.43 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom