| FTBL Saban on Bo Scarbrough: 'I think he's going to be a factor for us before the season is over'

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Saban on Bo Scarbrough: 'I think he's going to be a factor for us before the season is over'
Remember Derrick Henry's touchdown runs against Auburn and Ohio State in 2014?

That's what Bo Scarbrough's scoring run against Arkansas looked like, a big running back sweeping around the left side of the offensive line and accelerating down the sideline for a touchdown of around 20 yards while moving a lot faster than most 230- or 240-pound people are capable of moving.

After not playing or producing much in Alabama's previous four games, Scarbrough had some standout runs during the Tide's win over Arkansas on Saturday, especially during the second quarter drive that ended with the sophomore running back's touchdown run.

The last three plays of that drive were a physical 4-yard Scarbrough run to the left, a 9-yard Scarbrough run up the middle and then the 21-yard scoring run.

It was an encouraging performance from Scarbrough, who played more because backup running back Joshua Jacobs suffered an elbow injury during the first quarter and didn't return to the game. Scarbrough finished with 56 yards and the touchdown on seven carries while running for an average of eight yards per carry.

"He's doing a good job," coach Nick Saban said of Scarbrough. "He made a nice run in the last game for a touchdown, and I think he's getting more and more confident, and I think he's going to be a factor for us before the season is over."

Nick Saban discusses his role in players returning from concussions.

There were unrealistic and unfair external expectations for Scarbrough entering the season, a product of Scarbrough being a former five-star recruit whom at least some teammates were calling "The Next Derrick Henry" combined with Scarbrough running for a combined 243 yards and four touchdowns during Alabama's first two spring scrimmages while averaging 11.6 yards per carry.

Yet, it's been another sophomore running back, Damien Harris, who has emerged as the Tide's new lead running back while having the type of breakout season that many were expecting Scarbrough to have.

In addition, a freshman, Jacobs, is the clear No. 2 running back on the depth chart behind Harris and stepped in as Alabama's lead back against Kent State and Kentucky when Harris was dealing with an ankle injury.

Scarbrough, meanwhile, carried the ball just 20 total times in Games Two through Five and gained 21 yards or less in each of those four games. But you could see the talent and Scarbrough's rare combination of size, speed and toughness during the win over Arkansas.

The 56 yards were a season-high. So was the average of eight yards per carry. And the touchdown run was his longest gain of the season.

"I think you all create an expectation for people that there's no basis for," Saban said in September in response to a question about Scarbrough. "You do that to a lot of guys. It puts a lot of pressure on them. It creates a lot of anxiety for them. What we're trying to do here is just get guys to develop and be able to be comfortable and develop and gain the knowledge and experience that they need to go out there and play with confidence, play fast.

"We think Bo's got a lot of potential, and we're going to keep working with him so he can be a very productive player for us. So, I don't think he has any issues. I think he has issues created to the expectation that you created for him. But that's not what we're all about here."

Probably would have been able to work the kinks out before now but just hasn't had opportunities to get into a good rhythm. Still see him as a big mismatch at the LOS. Henry could have sued for non-support his first two years, but most would say he had a decent finish.

Probably would have been able to work the kinks out before now but just hasn't had opportunities to get into a good rhythm. Still see him as a big mismatch at the LOS. Henry could have sued for non-support his first two years, but most would say he had a decent finish.

Henry had nearly 1,000 yards his sophomore season... splitting carries with another 1,000 yard back...

I think he needs reps like mentioned above. He would be more like Henry if they pounded him for three quarters and wore defenses down and let his size and speed kill them in the fourth. It's tough splitting carries between three and four capable backs. I think we have a 1A, 1B, 1C type scenario where we would be just fine with either of those three getting a bulk of the carries. He's gonna get there. Build up that confidence after a showing like last weekend and continue to grind.

Henry had nearly 1,000 yards his sophomore season... splitting carries with another 1,000 yard back...

Yeldon and Henry both got penalized somewhat because of the ongoing passing attack and efficiency of Amari Cooper. We would get the running game going and it was quickly back to the Sims to Cooper connection (over 3400 yards passing). Whether that was good or bad, it's just what we did in '14'. That's why the Western Kentucky and even the Kentucky game this season made me take notice of our identity in those games.

wouldn't mind seeing Bo go for two big scores tomorrow.....after we're up big. sorta like Eddie Lacy against mich, st. in '13. third string rb coming in and taking off on a big run on a play that really wasn't meant to be a score. but i'd love for Bo to get a couple like that towards the end of the game, just to put that spike into the proverbial coffin.

Back
Top Bottom