| FTBL Saban happy with defense, mad at media

G

http://www.al.com/sports/press-register/index.ssf?/base/sports/1187169700212160.xml&coll=3

THERE IS NO DEPTH CHART: Once again, Saban made it clear Tuesday afternoon that he's upset at media members who have written about the Crimson Tide's depth chart or the lack of one.

"We don't have a depth chart now. I don't know why (you) guys can't get that out of your minds. The depth chart means nothing until the first game. Why does something have to be final before it's final? It's not final until we play the game and then it's final for that game. Then it may change after that...

"You guys are so result-oriented. You have to know what it is right now and the final results. We're still training for the race and trying to get everybody to improve."

bamabarney said:
He tells it like it is, the media just cannot understand that there is no depth chart. So they get what they deserve when they ask stupid questions.

i suspect they understand what Saban says, but i also suspect they understand what sells papers and attracts readership. let's face it, as meaningless as a depth chart is at this point on every squad in the nation, it is what fans want to see. the media asks the questions that attempts to obtain the information the public wants. it's called job security, not stupidity.

So, Saban says he has 'no depth chart' at this point.

But did he not later in the conversation say that in the scrimmage last weekend the '1s on offense went against the 2s on defense' and the '1s on defense went against the 2s on offense?'

Well, how can Saban know who the '1s' and '2s' are if there is no depth chart?

Methinks our coach doth protest too much. Why I have no idea and think it is becoming a little childish. Now, if what he really means is that 'a depth chart on 14 August really does not mean anything about who will start and play the most on 01 September and each successive Saturday' then perhaps he should just say so. THAT comment would be a little more truthful than his false denial that a 'depth chart' does not exist.

alagator said:

But did he not later in the conversation say that in the scrimmage last weekend the '1s on offense went against the 2s on defense' and the '1s on defense went against the 2s on offense?'

Methinks our coach doth protest too much. Why I have no idea and think it is becoming a little childish. Now, if what he really means is that 'a depth chart on 14 August really does not mean anything about who will start and play the most on 01 September and each successive Saturday' then perhaps he should just say so. THAT comment would be a little more truthful than his false denial that a 'depth chart' does not exist.

I haven't seen every PC, but I've seen most of them, and he has alluded to that point several times. He said at the very beginning of practice that there would be 1st teamers and 2nd teamers because they had to have it for organizational reasons. He mixes and matches a lot during practice though, lots of shuffling, and there are still some position changes going on as well. Taking all that into account, Saban's point is, there is no actual depth chart and will not be until just before the first game. Like he said yesterday, even then, it might change during the game. He wants the players competing for spots, not thinking they are locked in as a 3rd stringer. He also doesn't want players thinking that they are locked in as starters.

It may be totally wrong but I read in one of the papers on al.com today that JPW and DJHall made some voluntary comments to reporters about who was playing with the first team and that's how the subject came up. Supposedly some of the reporters then pursued the depth chart subject which POed Saban. Assuming this is true, I wonder if some players got chewed out too?

Porterhouse said:
alagator said:

I haven't seen every PC, but I've seen most of them, and he has alluded to that point several times. He said at the very beginning of practice that there would be 1st teamers and 2nd teamers because they had to have it for organizational reasons. He mixes and matches a lot during practice though, lots of shuffling, and there are still some position changes going on as well. Taking all that into account, Saban's point is, there is no actual depth chart and will not be until just before the first game. Like he said yesterday, even then, it might change during the game. He wants the players competing for spots, not thinking they are locked in as a 3rd stringer. He also doesn't want players thinking that they are locked in as starters.

Well said Porter. Coach Saban has also said that on game day the best players would be the ones who took the field, and that could change from one week to the next.

Proud Tiger said:
It may be totally wrong but I read in one of the papers on al.com today that JPW and DJHall made some voluntary comments to reporters about who was playing with the first team and that's how the subject came up. Supposedly some of the reporters then pursued the depth chart subject which POed Saban. Assuming this is true, I wonder if some players got chewed out too?

More than likely, yes, they got chewed. They know what they can and can't talk about, but I'm sure it isn't always easy to stay within the boundaries. Saban's main point he wanted to get across was that he didn't want the media asking the players the same stuff the he refuses to answer himself, in an effort the get a backdoor answer. If that were to happen often, he'd just put a stop to making the players available for interviews, and I'm sure the media knows that.

alagator said:

Amen. (che)

Porterhouse said:
He wants the players competing for spots, not thinking they are locked in as a 3rd stringer. He also doesn't want players thinking that they are locked in as starters.

If he put it that way, I would agree. Nobody needs to be complacent.

Proud Tiger said:

al.com.

bastion of truth

CN$ & the media... Same as it ever was! I am all for giving CN$ the free rein on this one, and why the hell does the media have to always be briefed about every damn thing that goes on...? The press will eventually get their story... I swear they try to rile the guy every chance they get and for me that is counterproductive.

They were like vultures in Miami from the get go... I guess we have some real media pros in town... They were pathetic. Eventually, it just didn't work out and he moved on, but for two years he was taken down every chance especially when they could write about anything perceived negatively...

I hope that doesn't occur in his Alabama stint... When he gets attacked by the media its not conducive to winning, watch how the relationships become strained if that that turns out to be the case and of course that isn't good.

Trust me we had some real jacka-s-s-e-s in the media in Miami. I don't care about depth charts, most everyone wants to see the players fight and earn a role and to get playing time. CN$ has done more than I would have expected in his short stay and maybe hunger, talent, desire and good solid coaching is called for in this situation. Seventeen days and counting.

Another thing that should be added, and has been mentioned before... Saban gives these guys 10x the substance that Shula did. He gives them more info in his opening comments every day in most cases, than Shula did after a 10 minute Q & A session. It isn't like he's up there sandbagging, he gives them plenty of information.

Porterhouse said:
Another thing that should be added, and has been mentioned before... Saban gives these guys 10x the substance that Shula did. He gives them more info in his opening comments every day in most cases, than Shula did after a 10 minute Q & A session. It isn't like he's up there sandbagging, he gives them plenty of information.

Exactly ;tr . If the media would just print what CNS says & nothing else, I'd be just fine. I've actually gotten to the point in all the media coverage to just read the quotes.

TerryP said:
Proud Tiger said:

al.com.

bastion of truth

Actually, Coach Saban acknowledged in his presser that some of the players volunteered some information and that he wasn't completely blaming the media. Did some of the players get chewed out? You bet. He said that the media asking depth-chart related questions put those players "in the line of fire". Where else would that line of fire be coming from?

Saban's explanation, once again, was quiet adequate as to why he handles things this way, as Porter so eloquently stated.

Ref,

That was a good take on the vultures that are the media in Miami. I don't think it will ever get to that point with the Alabama media save a couple of loudmouths but nothing on the scale of what he experienced while in North Cuba.

Back
Top Bottom