| FTBL Saban: Enough is Enough

moreno_iv

Verified Member
Don't think I've seen this posted:

If the problems do not dissipate, Saban said, he'd consider "more severe" punishments, as well as a possible curfew. But he also believes in allowing players a choice.

There is a mechanism in place to prevent such occurrences, including a peer intervention program, sports psychologists, and educators who teach about drugs, alcohol, agents, and how to treat women. Saban said he would attempt to "develop cooperation with" and build better relationships with "people in the community."

Some of the onus, Saban believes, falls on the players keeping one another out of trouble on the street, much as they do on the field. For the most part, the process is working, but Saban said he feels responsible when it doesn't.

"We've failed these guys, too, when they don't do the right thing," he said. "We're trying to create a program of support that gets players to make the right choices."

Mash Here

One thing that Saban said in his PC that maybe we don't think about as often as we should is the fact that, and I'm paraphrasing here;

"Of all the people that got arrested on the Strip that night only one was all over ESPN. Only one of those people was in every news publication in the state of Alabama.

When a young person is given an opportunity of this magnitude there are also consquenses that go with the decisions made by that young person."

Paraphrased most of it, but basically Saban hit the nail on the head IMHO. With opportunities at this high a level i.e. playing D1 football at a major U, also comes pressure and expectations directly proportionate to that opportunity. I guess it's like being a Hollywood star to some degree. Fighting the papparazzi, always under the microscope and basically having no private life. Is it fair to have that level of scrutiny when we're talking about college kids playing sports? I don't know. But it is what it is. It's part of the package that kids get whether they think they've signed up for it or not.

Along with great opportunity comes great responsibility and expectation.

I am really, really TIRED of all these players getting in trouble with the law. Makes me sick.

I heard some guy on The Opening Drive this morning trying to act like the police were out to get Bama's (black) players. I don't believe that. I think that a lot of men who are in the 18 to 22 range have a hard time acting grown-up. I also think that Shula did a very poor job of maintaining discipline when he was at the helm, and Saban is trying to right the ship.

I am tired of hearing about it too, but I am particularly glad to hear CNS say something about it. I think he'll get these folks under control, it just takes time.

Back
Top Bottom