| FTBL Running Game

ACL11190

Verified Member
Bamas running problems:At first i thought it might be our running backs, now im starting to thinks it has alot to do with the o-line, hopefully they can get some production out of Coffee,Grant, and JOHNS, along with upchurch getting a few touches against Ole Miss.

ACL11190 said:
Bamas running problems:At first i thought it might be our running backs, now im starting to thinks it has alot to do with the o-line, hopefully they can get some production out of Coffee,Grant, and JOHNS, along with upchurch getting a few touches against Ole Miss.

I'll let Tideboy take this subject, it's one of his favorites! :D

reger60 said:
ACL11190 said:

I'll do what I can. :wink: We had a great O-line recruiting class recently. Unfortunately they spent their formative time at UA under Bob Connelly attempting to learn zone blocking....a technique that works well in the pros with superior athletes that have worked together for a good while. Frankly college O-linemen come and go too quickly due to graduation, etc, to ever really become effective at this technique.

More than that, Connelly's brand of zone blocking was particularly passive, utilizing a "catch and hinge" or "bucket step" to try to open up rushing lanes instead of just flattening your arse and paving the road for the backs.

Experience is critical here. There are a few standouts that can start as true freshman (Andre' Smith, Ziemba at AU). The LOS in the SEC is a physical, brutal place to play, and most kids need a season or so just to get acclimated to the pounding.

I think we have the horses to have a great OL in time. The biggest thing they are faced with now IMO, is that they have to literally unlearn a season or so of technique that they worked hard to ingrain as second nature. It is difficult to be physically dominating if you are not 100% sure of your assignment on all plays and defensive scenarios. Victory begins in the mind. Once the new technique becomes REFLEX, I think you will see our level of O-line play drastically improve.

Tideboy said:
reger60 said:
ACL11190 said:

I'll do what I can. :wink: We had a great O-line recruiting class recently. Unfortunately they spent their formative time at UA under Bob Connelly attempting to learn zone blocking....a technique that works well in the pros with superior athletes that have worked together for a good while. Frankly college O-linemen come and go too quickly due to graduation, etc, to ever really become effective at this technique.

More than that, Connelly's brand of zone blocking was particularly passive, utilizing a "catch and hinge" or "bucket step" to try to open up rushing lanes instead of just flattening your arse and paving the road for the backs.

Experience is critical here. There are a few standouts that can start as true freshman (Andre' Smith, Ziemba at AU). The LOS in the SEC is a physical, brutal place to play, and most kids need a season or so just to get acclimated to the pounding.

I think we have the horses to have a great OL in time. The biggest thing they are faced with now IMO, is that they have to literally unlearn a season or so of technique that they worked hard to ingrain as second nature. It is difficult to be physically dominating if you are not 100% sure of your assignment on all plays and defensive scenarios. Victory begins in the mind. Once the new technique becomes REFLEX, I think you will see our level of O-line play drastically improve.

Thanks TB! I always appreciate and better understand the dynamics of the "engine room" after you break it down.

In the SEC we all know it starts up front, and that seems to be where all of our problems begin. :?

Tideboy said:
reger60 said:
ACL11190 said:

Well said & this takes time to develope folks, plain & simple.

I'm just relieved that we are not seeing a team that gives up...big BIG relief!!!!

Back
Top Bottom