SLB: Corey Reamer
ILB: Rolando McClain
ILB: Dont'a Hightower
Jack: Brandon Fanney
CB: Kareem Jackson
CB: Javier Arenas
FS: Rashad Johnson
SS: Mark Barron

And that's my best guess of things, and I feel pretty confident about things. Nevertheless, I'll expound on a few points:

We will split the touches three ways at tailback between Coffee, Grant, and Ingram, but with Coffee being the most complete back he will get the most snaps. At this point, he's the only back that Saban and company trust being in the game during all phases of the game (pass blocking, short-yardage, etc).

Julio Jones and Mike McCoy will be the two main cogs in the passing attack, and they are the most certain to get the snaps. Coach Saban has singled them out several times as being the most consistent guys we have. The slot position held by Darius Hanks isn't as tight of a lock, though, with both Burton Scott and Chris Jackson doing well. Either way, we'll use a rotation and a lot of guys will play.

Lorenzo Washington will be playing the combo end-tackle position currently occupied by Greenwood. He probably won't be the starter per se, at least right away, but with the rotation he will get just as many snaps as the starters.

Josh Chapman and Terrence Cody will split the snaps at the nose guard position, but you have to assume that Cody's size will limit his playing time a bit and that Chapman will, as a result, end up getting more reps. Hence my prediction that he is a starter.

I'm not overly confident about the Barron pick over Woodall, but the rest of the secondary is right, I believe. That said, we're going to mix things up quite a bit. Barron has worked at the star position, Arenas has occasionally slid inside there, and as much as the SEC throws the ball these days that position will be on the field just as much as any starter. Marquis Johnson looks to get time there too.

One final point, and that is the depth is extremely important in modern day college football, and in reality it is quite common to see back-ups get almost as many, if not as many, snaps as the starters. With that in mind, many players not mentioned here will get a ton of meaningful playing time in 2008. Both Terry Grant and Mark Ingram will have roles. Burton Scott will play, Chris Jackson may very well too, and Earl Alexander will have a good number of balls thrown his way. Nikita Stover has seemingly been relegated, but he will get snaps. Lorenzo Washington will play as much as a starter, and Terrence Cody will be a key factor. Chavis Williams will get playing time, and Eryk Anders has played too well to ride the pine. Prince Hall will make an impact when he returns. Marquis Johnson, Justin Woodall, and perhaps even Robby Green and Alonzo Lawrence will make an impact in the secondary. In other words, while the starting 22 is highly important, the back-ups are highly important as well, so don't focus too much on the projected starting unit.

How accurate do you guys think this is?

That's seems to be pretty close. Against Clemson, I don't see it falling that way b/c we'll be in our nickel package so often.

I think he's a bit off on Coffee being the only guy who understands all aspects of his position. Both the players and coaching staff have commented on Ingram doing well in those areas as well.

Right now, I see Woodall getting the start over Barron if we were in a true 3-4 although I've thought on more than one occasion Barron could take the position by the start of October.

I haven't seen anything that indicated Washington would play Greenwood's side. I've seen a few talk about him playing both sides on the DL.

Back
Top Bottom