| FTBL Return to football seems unlikely for Alabama LB

JoshB

Before this spring, Keith Holcombe began to focus his efforts on laying the foundation for a baseball career.

But he wasn't picked during the MLB draft this week, leaving open the possibility for a return to football.

That, however, doesn't appear to be in the cards for the inside linebacker, according to Alabama coach Nick Saban.

Saban, who was at the Nick's Kids annual golf tournament in Vestavia Hills, is under the impression Holcombe will continue to give his full commitment to baseball.

Asked if he spoke with Holcombe since the draft concluded Wednesday, Saban said, "I didn't talk to him yet. I talked to him before. He wanted to continue to try to pursue his baseball career, so I haven't talked to him since that. I think he could actually come back and play another year of baseball if he chooses to do that. So, I will talk to him again, but when we had the last conversation, he was pretty much set on trying to play baseball."

In 47 games, Holcombe batted .290 with two home runs and 29 RBI after he contributed 38 tackles and one sack as a junior last season.

Saban and Holcombe met after Alabama won a national championship, and the coach told the linebacker to devote his complete attention to baseball. Holcombe did not participate in spring practice as a result.

The two planned to get together again once the baseball season concluded to determine whether he would continue his football career.

"We'd love to have him come back in the fall," Saban said in March. "I hope he chooses to do that."

But that looks like a remote possibility at this point.

Return to football seems unlikely for Alabama LB

Makes sense... I'm with Saban though I'd be happy to see him suited up as well. He's a really good special teamer and has some experience at MLB, even if it didn't go that well. Regardless, best of luck.

Makes sense... I'm with Saban though I'd be happy to see him suited up as well. He's a really good special teamer and has some experience at MLB, even if it didn't go that well. Regardless, best of luck.
We had a lot of fans dissing him because he wasn't as quick to the hole as some of the other linebackers. But, he did play as close to mistake free football as one could ask.
Doesn't he also have some health issues that he is struggling with? Maybe the idea of playing both sports is more wear and tear than he wants these days.
Diabetic. It was literally a day-to-day struggle for him.

There is no doubt he's a great kid, a great teammate, and kid is all about Bama. I hate to see him hang it up.

We had a lot of fans dissing him because he wasn't as quick to the hole as some of the other linebackers. But, he did play as close to mistake free football as one could ask.
He had a horrible game against Mississippi State.
The football program went in debt that weekend on taping him alone. Most don't realize what he went through last season. He's judged far too unfairly.

Back
Top Bottom