| NEWS REPORT: Alabama AD Greg Byrne being considered for Pac-12 Commissioner position

Hope he doesn't jump into the middle of that mess with the crazy politics of the states whose colleges are part of that conference. However they may throw enough money at him to make it hard to say know. He came from Arizona correct? Could be the tie that lures him away. Hoping he has more sense than that but ego and $$$ can cloud your judgement.

I can totally understand wanting to go 'home'. He is from the west so it has the potential to be a good move for him personally. If he is one of the candidates and gets the job, I wish him well. On the professional side, he has an opportunity to build the football part of the conference. Everyone knows that is a cluster and has been for a long time. The selfish side of me wants him to stay at Alabama.

I can totally understand wanting to go 'home'. He is from the west so it has the potential to be a good move for him personally. If he is one of the candidates and gets the job, I wish him well. On the professional side, he has an opportunity to build the football part of the conference. Everyone knows that is a cluster and has been for a long time. The selfish side of me wants him to stay at Alabama.
In his career as athletic director he's spent about as much time in the SEC as he spent in the PAC. His education was undergrad in the PAC, grad school in the SEC.

Would be tough to turn down honestly. So much opportunity to turn that around. Larry Scott is incompetent.

The pay difference alone is life changing, comparing what Bryne vs Scott make. Scott was grossly overpaid.

Would be tough to turn down honestly. So much opportunity to turn that around. Larry Scott is incompetent.

The pay difference alone is life changing, comparing what Bryne vs Scott make. Scott was grossly overpaid.

given the many diverse issues facing that conference I don’t think 1 person is going to turn it around. I would think he goes for the money and the locale and realistically tries to simply make the conference a bit less marginalized than it has become

Now if several of the member schools enact some AD and other admin changes and the flaming pandemic goes away quickly and quietly he may be able to effect a more radical paradigm shift

JMO

The most concerning thing to me about Byrne leaving is the unknown of who replaces him. We could do much worse. Byrne hasn't been perfect, IMO, but he's done really well in most areas and been put in some difficult positions. His hires have mostly panned out up until now, specifically the Oats hire which is looking really good right now. If Byrne leaves, my worries about Oats being lured away would rise a little bit. But, the raise would be tough to turn down. Also worth noting, Byrne pissed off a lot of big money TP members with the way the stadium renovation was handled. Maybe that is something that has stuck with him? Lastly, there has been a feeling from the start that he had his eyes on the SEC commissioner's chair for when it eventually opens up. If that is true, what is the best path? Riding it out at Alabama and continuing to oversee the monster that is Tide Inc. while being heavily involved with all things SEC? Or moving out west and getting years of commissioner experience on the resume albeit in the lesser of all the power 5 conferences, while hoping that you can repair the damage done by Scott and make the Pac-12 sea worthy again?

If SEC Commissioner is his end goal, many would argue he needs a hop between working for Bama and taking over for all schools in the SEC. SEC Schools might think he would show favoritism :).

If SEC Commissioner is his end goal, many would argue he needs a hop between working for Bama and taking over for all schools in the SEC. SEC Schools might think he would show favoritism :).

I'm not for sure sure that it is, but that rumor has been out there for a long time. I'm sure he'd like it, but there's not an enormous age disparity between he and Sankey, so if Sankey's goal is to stay in the chair for a long time, it may not work out for Byrne anyway.

I believe he has worked for four PAC12 schools so this may have legs. Hope he stays.
...and worked at three SEC schools, including his grad education.

You guys are looking too deeply here. It's a big opening and a great opportunity for GB. 750K take home is a big bump...but word is he's not high on the list.

Back
Top Bottom