| FTBL Rashad Johnson Named National Defensive Player of the Week!

• Thread starter imported_RollTideRandy
  • Start date
I

imported_RollTideRandy

Rashad Johnson Named National Player of the Week

http://www.secsports.com/index.php?...nel_id=&url_article_id=11749&change_well_id=2

Senior safety Rashad Johnson tied a school record with three interceptions, including one he returned 54 yards for a touchdown, to lead top-ranked Alabama to a 27-21 overtime victory over 15th-ranked LSU. For the game, Johnson recorded four tackles, including a half quarterback sack. With the victory, the Crimson Tide improved to 10-0, 6-0 in the SEC.

A former walk-on to boot. He is an example for all young men that have people tell them "you can't do it, you're not good enough".

Don't tell me he hasn't worked his butt off to be in his position. Glad to see him getting well deserved recognition. :)

I knew that Kevin Jackson was one of the guys that had 3 INT's in a single game. I remember that game clearly because it happened in '95 against UGA.

I thought Jeremiah Castille was the other one...for some reason, when they made note last night it had tied a school record his name came to mind. I probably remembered that from hearing and reading the reports on Jackson and then with Tim and Simeon playing...

The other two...

Dicky Thompson, 1966, against Ole Miss.
Bobby Wilson, 1951, against Georgia.
Castille had his against UT...

TerryP said:
I knew that Kevin Jackson was one of the guys that had 3 INT's in a single game. I remember that game clearly because it happened in '95 against UGA.

I thought Jeremiah Castille was the other one...for some reason, when they made note last night it had tied a school record his name came to mind. I probably remembered that from hearing and reading the reports on Jackson and then with Tim and Simeon playing...

The other two...

Jeremiah Castille intercepted 3 passes against Illnois Coach Bryant's last game. Isn't that what your thinking?

TerryP said:

The other two...

The interesting thing about Kevin Jackson and his 3 INT's was they were also against an inexperienced QB. If memory serves, Hines Ward was the Georgia QB in that game. I remember UGA had a HORRIBLE QB situation that year. I think we shut them out in Athens in '95.

Cut to yesterday and Rashad had 3 INTs against the same QB, in many respects.

~Bryan

RollTide1980 said:
TerryP said:

The other two...

The interesting thing about Kevin Jackson and his 3 INT's was they were also against an inexperienced QB. If memory serves, Hines Ward was the Georgia QB in that game. I remember UGA had a HORRIBLE QB situation that year. I think we shut them out in Athens in '95.

~Bryan

Hines Ward, along with another QB named Brian Smith, had the INT's that day. I don't think, and I'll have to check to be sure, that Hines had all 3 INT's.

I remember him fumbling the ball 2X in that game as well. One of those fumbles led to a TD in that game. It seems like we had a total of 6 turnovers, 3 INT's and 3 fumbles.

I also remember the last of Jackson's picks was a pick-6.

It's funny how certain games stick out in your mind more so than others...this one did because it was the first time Bama had ever shut out Georgia in Athens.

OH, now that I'm thinking about it...Deshea had a blocked FG in that game...returned it 80-90 yards.

TerryP said:
RollTide1980 said:
TerryP said:

The other two...

~Bryan

Hines Ward, along with another QB named Brian Smith, had the INT's that day. I don't think, and I'll have to check to be sure, that Hines had all 3 INT's.

I remember him fumbling the ball 2X in that game as well. One of those fumbles led to a TD in that game. It seems like we had a total of 6 turnovers, 3 INT's and 3 fumbles.

It's funny how certain games stick out in your mind more so than others...this one did because it was the first time Bama had ever shut out Georgia in Athens.

OH, now that I'm thinking about it...Deshea had a blocked FG in that game...returned it 80-90 yards.

Off topic in respect to Rashad, but I also remember UGA had a little RB named Torin Kirtsy (SP) who tried to go over the top and just got STONED!!!

~Bryan

RollTide1980 said:
TerryP said:
RollTide1980 said:
TerryP said:

The other two...

~Bryan

Off topic in respect to Rashad, but I also remember UGA had a little RB named Torin Kirtsy (SP) who tried to go over the top and just got STONED!!!

~Bryan

Heck yeah! Again, by Deshea Townsend no less...he and another guy stopped him on that play...he and one of our linebackers...it wasn't Dwayne Rudd...heck, who was the guy that started in the middle that year?!?! Geez, can't pull his name! :twisted:

TerryP said:
RollTide1980 said:
TerryP said:
RollTide1980 said:
TerryP said:

The other two...

~Bryan

~Bryan

Heck yeah! Again, by Deshea Townsend no less...he and another guy stopped him on that play...he and one of our linebackers...it wasn't Dwayne Rudd...heck, who was the guy that started in the middle that year?!?! Geez, can't pull his name! :twisted:

We need a 'Bama football history forum, Terry. lol

I remember the play very well. The kid got turned inside out and just fell on his side, at the one yard line.

The only name I can think of is Ralph Staten or maybe Blackburn??

~Bryan

TerryP said:
If factor would have read this he would know the name.

It drove me crazy enough to go dig out my 1996 Media Guide...it was John Walters, MLB.

Yes sir! :D

That was also the year we wore the VERY CRIMSON jerseys from Nike. If memory serves '95 was the first year of the Nike contract and the uniforms were almost maroon. lol

Good stuff and good memories!

~Bryan :)

RollTide1980 said:
TerryP said:
If factor would have read this he would know the name.

It drove me crazy enough to go dig out my 1996 Media Guide...it was John Walters, MLB.

Yes sir! :D

That was also the year we wore the VERY CRIMSON jerseys from Nike. If memory serves '95 was the first year of the Nike contract and the uniforms were almost maroon. lol

Good stuff and good memories!

~Bryan :)

I can't remember which year was the first one of the Nike Game day uniforms, but I want to say I remember seeing the symbol added in the fall of '93.

I'll see if I can find a picture.

Back
Top Bottom