| FTBL Question

musso

Does anyone suspect that there is a connection between NIL money and undisciplined football? Is it possible that the days of being among the least penalized teams in the country, as we were in Saban's earlier years at Bama, are over as long as players are making more money?

Question for you (I stated this previously) - do you think NIL has anything to do with the fact that there have been 2 offensive holding calls against the opponents in 7 games? Not making excuses (I've wondered about the NIL. One of CNS's draws is that he will get you to the NFL, and that's not as important if you already have cash in your pocket)
As Tim said in another thread. I am concerned about the penalties. The committed, the missed, and the perceived (by the officials).

Does anyone suspect that there is a connection between NIL money and undisciplined football? Is it possible that the days of being among the least penalized teams in the country, as we were in Saban's earlier years at Bama, are over as long as players are making more money?

One drives around in a new corvette...talks shit about it....and another ...who has his daddys old family wagon...is suppose to block for him....
Naw....

I do!

Our most disciplined player is getting the most benefit from NIL, so I'd say no.

Our most disciplined player is getting the most benefit from NIL, so I'd say no.
I figured someone would make a note of that. I didn't expect they would attempt to extrapolate from an outlier like Bryce.

As money is distributed throughout the roster, what I see happening is the incentive towards mediocrity will rise relative to how little exposure and publicity the player receives. To put it another way, you could take the money away from Bryce and he'd still perform the same on the field. This speaks to not only the character and drive of exceptional players like Bryce, but also to the nature of high profile QBs in general. They have too much pressure on them before the NIL money arrives. However, if you take the money away from the average player, the attention to detail will rise in service of the team goal.

IMO. The biggest factor of NIL money makes the decision of where an undecided player chooses to play. In other words the more the NIL deal decides the player’s destination. In Bama’s situation the talked about “process” is just part of the CNS mystic. I believe some players in the current program thinks the “process” will just kick in and save the day without really understanding it takes hard work and complete dedication to achieve the end result. Sure maybe a player like BY getting several NIL deals will cause problems with some players I think there ultimate goal is to get to the NFL.

Are other teams with big NIL money having an increase in penalties? It sounds like you’re correlating with a sample of one. Army and Navy have always paid their players but they are some of the most disciplined teams.

Are other teams with big NIL money having an increase in penalties? It sounds like you’re correlating with a sample of one. Army and Navy have always paid their players but they are some of the most disciplined teams.
Duuu...there is a reason for that...Army...Navy...Air Force... arent ur run of the mill universities....
Discipline in military is what seperates "the few.

I believe some players in the current program thinks the “process” will just kick in and save the day without really understanding it takes hard work and complete dedication to achieve the end result.
Let me rephrase myself. What you call "the end result" is what I'm calling into question.

I believe that for most players, compensation is a direct challenge to "the end result," that is, the team-oriented goal. Successful teams are predicated on individuals sacrificing individual short-term goals for collective long-term goals. Compensation undermines the sacrificial prerequisite to greatness. If you don't delay gratification, the "end result" loses its luster and appeal, and thus less worthy of hard work and dedication.

So NIL and any form of automatic compensation not tied to performance (ie bowls, titles, etc.) in effect will diminish greatness because it will ease the "suffering" required for excellent performance. At least the NFL ties compensation to performance. To my knowledge NIL compensation is much less discriminating. Am I wrong on this?

Let me rephrase myself. What you call "the end result" is what I'm calling into question.

I believe that for most players, compensation is a direct challenge to "the end result," that is, the team-oriented goal. Successful teams are predicated on individuals sacrificing individual short-term goals for collective long-term goals. Compensation undermines the sacrificial prerequisite to greatness. If you don't delay gratification, the "end result" loses its luster and appeal, and thus less worthy of hard work and dedication.

So NIL and any form of automatic compensation not tied to performance (ie bowls, titles, etc.) in effect will diminish greatness because it will ease the "suffering" required for excellent performance. At least the NFL ties compensation to performance. To my knowledge NIL compensation is much less discriminating. Am I wrong on this?
No you are not wrong.
It still goes back to the individual. Even in the NFL you see people get a big contract & let up & play like crap afterwards. This kinda goes back to CNS complaining about that lack of being able to visit schools during spring - you find out more about practice habits / they tell you a lot about the individual.

I agree with most of what you’re saying. However. The correlation of one NFL player to another, based on position, is a lot like an NIL deal for say a BY to a Brian Branch. NIL deal is based mostly on popularity created by the media and etc. That’s not to say performance does not matter but it’s less than what is expected at the NFL level.

Brandon and I talked about this yesterday. I would think the transfer portal was more of an issue than NIL. Guys coming in with college experience, but not Saban experience.

Something else we talked about is the fact of losing some of our edge. Not quite as nasty and intimidating as we used to be. (People don't fear us like they did a few years ago) It's like we need Scott Cochran back to cheerlead and push that alpha mentality. I think we are missing him more than we thought we would. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if he came back as a special teams coach or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom