| FTBL Question about fake field goal

G

Coach Saban said they knew it was coming. He said the coaches were all yelling from the sideline. That lead me to believe that while they knew it was coming the players didn't. Maybe I'm assuming incorrectly here.

Question - if the coaches knew and the players didn't seem to know why not call time out? I don't get it. That was possibly the spark that started Ole Miss strong in the 2nd half. I know it certainly swung momentum.

24-6 certainly would have left a different taste than 24-10 courtesy of a fake.

BamaDelta said:
Coach Saban said they knew it was coming. He said the coaches were all yelling from the sideline. That lead me to believe that while they knew it was coming the players didn't. Maybe I'm assuming incorrectly here.

Question - if the coaches knew and the players didn't seem to know why not call time out? I don't get it. That was possibly the spark that started Ole Miss strong in the 2nd half. I know it certainly swung momentum.

The players knew as well, they just didn't know what type of fake... run, pass, etc. The issue with the players was, they picked up the ball carrier too late. I'm sure the thought of calling a TO ran through Saban's mind, but he probably wanted them to go ahead and run it since we were in FG safe and were prepared to stop it. Just one of those things I guess...

By the way, they knew it was a fake because the center was barking out line calls.

Porter said:
BamaDelta said:

The players knew as well, they just didn't know what type of fake... run, pass, etc. The issue with the players was, they picked up the ball carrier too late. I'm sure the thought of calling a TO ran through Saban's mind, but he probably wanted them to go ahead and run it since we were in FG safe and were prepared to stop it. Just one of those things I guess...

By the way, they knew it was a fake because the center was barking out line calls.

Yep, when CBS showed the play from a side angle, one could really get a sense of how well that ball carrier was hidden until he got to the edge of the line.

I tip my hat to Ole Miss on execution. We did seem to be on our heels, though.

That play will probably put ideas in Les(s)' head when he gets ready to prepare for us. :wink:

That made me so mad everyone knew it was a fake and we still wasn't able to stop it. I was yelling fake, fake at the tv screen, why would they try a fg then when they just went for it on 4th. They had to know it was coming just poor execution on our part.

Porter said:
BamaDelta said:

I'm with Delta. If you know that its coming, call the time out, tell the team to write off defending the Field Goal (which was a gimme at that distance anyway), and play it straight up like a regular defense. If your right, you improve your chances of keeping them off the board with it. If you're wrong, they score the near-certain 3pts anyway. A timeout to save 4 pts is very much worth it.

LBS said:
Porter said:
BamaDelta said:

I'm with Delta. If you know that its coming, call the time out, tell the team to write off defending the Field Goal (which was a gimme at that distance anyway), and play it straight up like a regular defense. If your right, you improve your chances of keeping them off the board with it. If you're wrong, they score the near-certain 3pts anyway. A timeout to save 4 pts is very much worth it.

Lesson learned I guess. :? We basically got smoked on that one. It looked like Justin Woodall was close to getting the angle to knock him out of bounds, but maybe that was just my perception. Just like so many times close is not enough though.

Back
Top Bottom