Prince

bama alum

Wow! Way too soon. I'm eager to learn the result of the autopsy. I know about the sudden stop in his flight Friday, but he was back on stage Saturday.

Remembering Prince

Remembering Prince
The legendary singer was 57.

lead_large.jpg

Liu Heung Shing / AP

Text Size

Updated on April 21 at 1:39 p.m. ET

Prince, the legendary singer and songwriter, is dead, his publicist confirmed in a statement. Prince was 57.

Prince’s body was discovered at his compound in Paisley Park in Chanhassen, Minnesota, early Thursday. The cause of death is unknown, though Prince had been hospitalized last week. TMZ, which first reported the singer’s death, said Prince’s representatives had at the time said he’d been battling the flu.

Born Prince Rogers Nelson in Minneapolis on June 7, 1958, the musician became a superstar after the release in 1982 of his album 1999. But it is his iconic release Purple Rain, which came out in 1984, for which he’s probably best known. Still, as the Rock and Roll of Fame says in its biography of Prince, “the artist’s deep discography is full of funky treasure.”

The seven-time Grammy winner sold more than 100 million albums in his lifetime, and won an Oscar in 1985 for Best Original Song Score for Purple Rain. Prince was also famously a workaholic and music-obsessive who produced nearly 40 studio albums and dozens of other recordings.

“There’s not a person around who can stay awake as long as I can,” he said in an interview in 1985. “Music is what keeps me awake.”

In 1993, he changed his name from Prince to a symbol, fusing the signs of male and female. It was during this period he came to be referred to as “The Artist Formerly Known as Prince.” He reverted to his stage name, Prince, in 2000.

“I follow what God tells me to do,” Prince said, according the Hall of Fame. “It said, ‘Change your name,’ and I changed my name to a symbol ready for Internet use before I knew anything about the Internet.”

The legendary musician was also known for his live performance, including during a downpour at Super Bowl XLI, considered one of the great Super Bowl concerts of all time. You can watch that here:

Here’s a roundup of the significant moments from his career.

Back
Top Bottom