| FTBL Practices for bowl (updated throughout the week)

TerryP

Staff
They hit it yesterday, indoor facility, due to the chilly atmosphere in T-town. Today, is the one day they'll actually hold two practices with 8 scheduled this week.

They will have the 23rd and 24th off and travel on Christmas morning with 4 scheduled practices to be held in the Indy Bowl facility.

FWIW, none of the coaches or players addressed the media after practice yesterday.

Just a guess, but I'd think this mornings workout will be in Crisp again (it's just above freezing as I'm typing this) and in the mid-50's this afternoon.

BamaFan615 said:
that's good news, thanks Terry.

Are there any restrictions this time of year, as far as the number of practices we are allowed to have?

I'm sure there are, but they aren't limited like they are when school is in session. I imagine one will have to go to the NCAA official site to find the exact rules.

We have a total of 12 scheduled.

I'll add, Saban has adjusted his practice schedules over the years. If I were to guess, it'll be handled along the lines of this week focusing on fundamentals and actual game prep starting to be integrated when we get to Shreveport. As example, it's been reported that Saturday will be the last practice in T-town and it'll focus a lot on conditioning/workouts than actual game prep.

On a good note, this last few weeks have given the team a lot of rest and time to recover with some of the bumps and bruises.

While I'm as concerned as anyone over the bumps and bruises.... it's their mental attitude I'm really worried about. The Buffs are fired up about this game and if we have player sleepwalking through the motions it will get bigtime ugly.

Still shuffles along the OL...Caldwell at C and Johnson at RT. BUT, the depth chart for the media guide for the bowl still has the same line-up we had against Auburn

News conference in about 5 minutes and practice is closed to the media tonight.

Coffee and Grant = 1A and 1B, Upchurch 2.

Honestly even though I want to win the game, and will be upset for a little while after the game if we don't win, I'd actually prefer them to use this practice time more as an extra spring. Worry more about getting young guys ready for next year than the out going Seniors.

Bama Bo said:
Honestly even though I want to win the game, and will be upset for a little while after the game if we don't win, I'd actually prefer them to use this practice time more as an extra spring. Worry more about getting young guys ready for next year than the out going Seniors.

Conversely, games like this won often lead to momentum going into spring camp.

But, I do understand where you are coming from. With the notable exception of a few of the Sr's I'd like to see go out with a W.

TerryP said:
Bama Bo said:

Conversely, games like this won often lead to momentum going into spring camp.

But, I do understand where you are coming from. With the notable exception of a few of the Sr's I'd like to see go out with a W.

Without a doubt they're a few seniors that I would love to see their last game end on a good note. The 2 we have in the PRIDE poll along with a couple of others are examples of those.

Bowl roster update:

The two walk-ons won't be making the trip but will be in bowl practices.

Marcel Stamps won't be making the trip...been working on grades for several weeks.

Couple of odds and ends from the presser yesterday...

I'm sure you've seen Bama fans refer to the 7/24/365 love for football even going to the point of having the season, recruiting season, conditioning season, spring season...

You get the picture.

Add another season to the list. Saban made an interesting comment yesterday with adding another season to the mix, this one having one game. Bowl season; although, we should be kicking ourselves in the head considering how many times we've already been through this as a fan base.

His outlook is to take the regular season and look at this game versus the Buffs and a one game season. The team seems to be responding to it.

When it comes to their weight lifting, conditioning, running, etc. they have done all they've be asked to. Most importantly, there have been some "non-physical" issues that are important to building a team they've been working on as well. It bodes well to the team being mentally ready to face Colorado.

The team has done well on the academic side with no players losing eligibility. (Stamps, as Sr., won't be at the bowl game as mentioned earlier but it's not because he isn't eligible...in a nutshell, he's no longer participating in football.)

It's always been interesting to me how coaches match players with recruits when they visit. At times, I wonder why Shula had players matched with prospects when there were other players on the team that had a lot more in common with the recruits. I've been very impressed with the philosophy Saban has had and he's praised the players on how they handled and welcomed our visitors.

A few teams comparisons between Bama and Colorado.

Two teams we've both played this year, both losses. Buffs lost to FSU 6-16, Bama 14-21.

QB performance:
Cody Hawkins: 2693 passing yards, 19 TD's
JP Wilson: 2590 passing yards, 15 TD's

RB performance:
Hugh Charles: 989 rushing yards; 8 TD's
Terry Grant: 891 rushing yards; 8 TD's

WR performance:
Scotty McKnight: 488 receiving yards
DJ Hall: 947 receiving yards
Tyson DeVree: 6 TD's (tight end)
DJ Hall: 6 TD's

DB's performance:
Terrence Wheatley: 5 Int's
Rashad Johnson: 6 Int's

Both teams hold identical records for the '07 season. Colorado has played 3 teams ranked in the top 25 winning one game (vs OU.) Bama has played 6 teams ranked in the top 25 winning 2 (Arkansas and UT.)

As we all have wanted there has been a lot of attn. placed on the young players these past 3 practices and that will continue. The draw back is game prep for Colorado, but that won't be the focus until a few days before the game as it is.

Coach speak? He's impressed with a lot Col. brings to the playing field.

Back
Top Bottom