| FTBL Polls are out

No, I think he has a point. LSU, UF, Kentucky (for the same reasons that Oregon beat them so badly), USC would almost be a sure thing to beat them and pretty much every other team in the league would beat them as well barring a meltdown.

BarnBurner said:
No, I think he has a point. LSU, UF, Kentucky (for the same reasons that Oregon beat them so badly), USC would almost be a sure thing to beat them and pretty much every other team in the league would beat them as well barring a meltdown.

Where's the specific Bama bias in the current BCS poll? Michigan's ranking is questionable for sure, but the fact that we aren't ranked in the top 25 isn't a surprise, is it? Surely you don't think we've earned a spot yet have we?

reger60 said:
BarnBurner said:

Where's the specific Bama bias in the current BCS poll? Michigan's ranking is questionable for sure, but the fact that we aren't ranked in the top 25 isn't a surprise, is it? Surely you don't think we've earned a spot yet have we?

We lost to a ranked UGA team and FSU in Jacksonville. Neither game was a blowout or total domination by our opponent.

Michigan lost by 30+ to the only good team they have played. The closest thing they have to a quality win is Purdue, and the boilermakers 5 wins consists of three mac teams, a 1-6 Minnesota team, and Notre Dame.

Bama is 5-2 at this point with 3 SEC wins. Our one conference loss was in OT to a ranked team.

Michigan should not be ranked.

If you base rankings on performance regardless of outcome, Virginia has beaten MTSU and UConn by a combined total of 3 points in the last 2 weeks, yet they would be ranked higher than us if you carried the rankings on out.

I am not saying we should be top 10. That ONLY reason we are not ranked in the 23-25th slot, is that the SEC already has 7 teams ranked and we are Bama.

I know we lost to UGA, but they are a 2 loss team and squeaked by Vandy this week and polls are "done for me lately affair...they have a blowout and a squeaker to vandy as their last two games) - after getting CRUSHED by Tennessee last week, yet they are still ranked...but then, UGA is in a major media market.

Big East teams like Cincy should not get ranked unless they beat a good team. Cincy beat Rutgers...but then Rutgers may have been a flash in the pan - they lost to Maryland this season, the only "major" they have played.

If having an undefeated record against crap opponents was what it took to be a highly ranked team, a CUSA, a Big East, a MAC, or a Sunbelt team would be playing for the NC every season. Ole Miss and Vandy - bad as they are, would be close to the top of the standings in the Big East, MAC, or CUSA. Arkansas would beat any team from those conferences except WVU and USF.

As far as earning a spot...we have. At least more than some of the teams up there.

i agree with you 100%. In the SEC alone we have bama, georgia, auburn, tenn, and florida all with 2 loses and we are still not even close to the top 25 with the others. what's up with that? like you said the loses we have had were to a ranked georgia and close games with both loses. i checked others in the top 25 and SEC schools play anywhere from 4-6 ranked teams a year while other divisions only play 2-4. The SEC schools are all about even now, any week one could upset the other. the schools in the SEC that used to be weak are no longer. The SEC teams play an average of 4-7 ranked teams a year, while other division play an average of 2-4 ranked teams a year. Ohio st plays (3) ranked teams this year, South FL (3), Boston College (3), LSU (5-7),OK (2), South Car. (5-7), Kent.(7), Ariz. St.(3), W.Virg.(2), Oreg(3), Virg. Tech.(4), Oreg.(3),Virg.Tech (4), Calf. (4), Kansas (2), USC (4), FL (6), Mizz (3), Auburn (6), Hawaii (None), GA (6), TN (5-7),TX (2), Cinn ( 3), Bama (6). See the difference in schedules week in and week out for SEC teams. If we ever have another SEC team win a National Championship it will be by the grace of God alone. Unless like last year a one lose team just so happens to land in the top 2.

Big_Fan said:
reger60 said:
BarnBurner said:

We lost to a ranked UGA team and FSU in Jacksonville. Neither game was a blowout or total domination by our opponent.

Michigan lost by 30+ to the only good team they have played. The closest thing they have to a quality win is Purdue, and the boilermakers 5 wins consists of three mac teams, a 1-6 Minnesota team, and Notre Dame.

Bama is 5-2 at this point with 3 SEC wins. Our one conference loss was in OT to a ranked team.

If you base rankings on performance regardless of outcome, Virginia has beaten MTSU and UConn by a combined total of 3 points in the last 2 weeks, yet they would be ranked higher than us if you carried the rankings on out.

I am not saying we should be top 10. That ONLY reason we are not ranked in the 23-25th slot, is that the SEC already has 7 teams ranked and we are Bama.

I know we lost to UGA, but they are a 2 loss team and squeaked by Vandy this week and polls are "done for me lately affair...they have a blowout and a squeaker to vandy as their last two games) - after getting CRUSHED by Tennessee last week, yet they are still ranked...but then, UGA is in a major media market.

Big East teams like Cincy should not get ranked unless they beat a good team. Cincy beat Rutgers...but then Rutgers may have been a flash in the pan - they lost to Maryland this season, the only "major" they have played.

If having an undefeated record against crap opponents was what it took to be a highly ranked team, a CUSA, a Big East, a MAC, or a Sunbelt team would be playing for the NC every season. Ole Miss and Vandy - bad as they are, would be close to the top of the standings in the Big East, MAC, or CUSA. Arkansas would beat any team from those conferences except WVU and USF.

As far as earning a spot...we have. At least more than some of the teams up there.

Once again, I agree Michigan hasn't earned a spot in the top 25. But your irrelevantly conjectured post does nothing to support that Bama deserves to be there either. It only indicates that you're a "everybody hates Bama" conspiracy theorist.

How's that? Georgia gets ranked, because they are in the same state as Atlanta? Remind me not to ask you who killed JFK. :wink:

We beat Tennessee next week and maybe we've earned a spot.

reger60 said:
Big_Fan said:
reger60 said:
BarnBurner said:

Once again, I agree Michigan hasn't earned a spot in the top 25. But your irrelevantly conjectured post does nothing to support that Bama deserves to be there either. It only indicates that you're a "everybody hates Bama" conspiracy theorist.

How's that? Georgia gets ranked, because they are in the same state as Atlanta? Remind me not to ask you who killed JFK. :wink:

We beat Tennessee next week and maybe we've earned a spot.

If the last 10 years has taught me anything, it is this: "It is not paranoia if everyone really is out to get you."

Remind me again how fair the media bashing Saban over taking the Alabama job is...

"Nick Saban is not going to leave the mansions of southbeach to move to the trailer parks of Tuscaloosa." - Mark May

Last I checked, Mark May's opinion had no influence over the Harris Poll, the Coaches Poll or the computer rankings.

The last 10 years should have taught you that probation and mediocre coaching and recruiting is very, very painful.

Rankings are so subjective it would not surprise me that there is some glaring media bias toward not only Alabama but lingering resentment about Coach Saban.

If we beat UT this week, we will probably break through. There can't be complete bias though. We were ranked in the top 15 after the Arkansas game which was a pretty meteoric rise through the polls for Alabama standards. We were barely in the "others getting votes" in the preseason polls.

bamafan4ever said:
Rankings are so subjective it would not surprise me that there is some glaring media bias toward not only Alabama but lingering resentment about Coach Saban.

If we beat UT this week, we will probably break through. There can't be complete bias though. We were ranked in the top 15 after the Arkansas game which was a pretty meteoric rise through the polls for Alabama standards. We were barely in the "others getting votes" in the preseason polls.

I pretty much agree with you.

There is no question about media bias and that Bama has a difficult time climbing the polls is well documented. Some teams (like Michigan and Notre Dame) receive votes for sneezing.

There are teams ranked above us who don't deserve to be there as much as we do. Michigan is one of them. The "others receiving votes" category is littered with them.

A lot of it is relative position at the beginning of the season. Had we started the year ranked in the top 10, we would be in the top 20 right now. There was a time when losing to Appy state and getting blown out by Oregon would have done more rankings damage (no matter when the losses happened) than losing to Georgia in OT and by a TD to FSU in Florida. With some teams, it still would. Not with us. Not now.

Big_Fan said:
bamafan4ever said:

I pretty much agree with you.

There is no question about media bias and that Bama has a difficult time climbing the polls is well documented. Some teams (like Michigan and Notre Dame) receive votes for sneezing.

There are teams ranked above us who don't deserve to be there as much as we do. Michigan is one of them. The "others receiving votes" category is littered with them.

A lot of it is relative position at the beginning of the season. Had we started the year ranked in the top 10, we would be in the top 20 right now. There was a time when losing to Appy state and getting blown out by Oregon would have done more rankings damage (no matter when the losses happened) than losing to Georgia in OT and by a TD to FSU in Florida. With some teams, it still would. Not with us. Not now.

I do see your point but what I was trying to say in too many words is that if we beat UT, we will break into the polls and the pollsters moved us up pretty fast earlier this year.

We have some BIG games left starting this week. If we perform, we'll have to get noticed.

Big_Fan said:
Michigan being ranked is a joke. They lost to a D1AA team and for those who have not followed Appy State, they lost to Wofford a couple of weeks ago...Michigan got blown out by Oregon. The Wolverines have no quality wins and there are at least 8 teams in the SEC that would beat them, including us.

Anti-Bama bias at its best.

Whereas I agree with Michigan... give me a freaking break.

Y'all had a couple games under your belt and went from unranked to.... #16?

Call me crazy, but I doubt the polls are anti-bama. Look back at SI cover of Croyle (We're back).

Win games, and you guys are in the top ten.

Back
Top Bottom