| FTBL Perceived Big 10 mediocrity

• Thread starter imported_porkchop
  • Start date
I

imported_porkchop

According to Herbie.

Did you guys listen that on ESPN earlier?

According to Herstreet, the Big 10 is only "percieved to be mediocre".

This is his standard, "PSU deserves a shot" because...

(1) he likes the Big 10

(2) He went to a Big 10 school

(3) Penn State beat his lousy Ohio State team....who he, and others, still want to prop as something special.

(4)Did I mention, homer?

Seriously, I've had it with this. Penn State has beaten a lousy OSU team, along with a Wisconsin team (the conference's pre-season hype) that has lost what.....5 out of 6....to Big 10 teams? :shock: :shock: :shock:

You can't be serious!

I don't really get it either. I mean, have the past couple of years not taught anyone anything? It's alright though, if Penn State manages to get into the NC and plays a quality opponent such as Bama or Florida, I think they would have the floor wiped with them. If not, they'll just get eaten alive in the Rose Bowl by USC.

I'm pretty sure he is assuming BAMA (and probably Texas Tech) is going to lose a game before it is over with. If BAMA and Tech win out, Herbie will not have Penn State in the BCS Championship game.

I do not think you understood his point, not to mention he was bashing to the big ten just yesterday and still OSU fans complain about him not giving the big ten or OSU more love.

He was absolutely correct, just go read any large forum. There are plenty of posts about how people wouldnt want to see another big ten team in the NC game. Even with their big win against OSU fans sort if discredit it because OSU ahs been exposed in the last few years. He wasnt saying they should be the number one or two team rather fans dismiss Penn St. because of OSU and the big ten's failures.

Perhaps I saw a different segment but he is still far from being a homer, and had Alabama #1 in his poll while still saying Florida is the best team.

TigerBait3 said:
I do not think you understood his point, not to mention he was bashing to the big ten just yesterday and still OSU fans complain about him not giving the big ten or OSU more love.

He was absolutely correct, just go read any large forum. There are plenty of posts about how people wouldnt want to see another big ten team in the NC game. Even with their big win against OSU fans sort if discredit it because OSU ahs been exposed in the last few years. He wasnt saying they should be the number one or two team rather fans dismiss Penn St. because of OSU and the big ten's failures.

Perhaps I saw a different segment but he is still far from being a homer, and had Alabama #1 in his poll while still saying Florida is the best team.

Agree 100%.

Porter said:
I'm pretty sure he is assuming BAMA (and probably Texas Tech) is going to lose a game before it is over with. If BAMA and Tech win out, Herbie will not have Penn State in the BCS Championship game.

Yeah I understand that. That's been his thought all along, and it could very well happen. It's just the stuff he continues to say about the Bog 10 and PSU that boggles my mind.

I know people might argue that BAMA doesn't deserve to be where they are, but why doesn't that argument fall on PSU as well? We already know that the Big 10 is way down. We know that Ohio State is down. Penn State has played essentially a weak schedule made up of Big 10 teams. Okay, they beat Oregon State, but Oregon State is the Pac 10 equivelent of Les Miles' old OK State teams. They're mediocre (at best) year in, year out, but have the uncanny ability to beat rival.

I don't know if you guys caught it or not, but about a week ago they were talking about the Big 10 SOS and impressive wins. maybe the most telling statement was that the Big 10's most impressive non-con win is against Fresno State. :shock:

Anyway, all in all, I actually like Herbstriet. I think he's pretty objective and entertaining as well. It just seems like that old Big 10 favoritism comes out sometimes though.

TigerBait3 said:

My main point was regarding his statement about the "Big 10's percieved mediocrity". So I guess my question to you would be.....do you think the Big 10 is mediocre or only percieved to be that way? That was my main point. And his defending of all things Big 10 to make his case is where the homerism comes into play IMHO.

Maybe we just disagree? Maybe you think the Big 10 is the be all, end all of college football. I just disagree with that and quite frankly don't think that PSU has any business being in the top 3. This is the second coming of that same old Ohio State cavalry. It's becoming a yearly tradition.

Thing is PSU has nobody left to play....they will go undefeated. We on the other hand have several games that will be difficult...including the SECCG. (very difficult)

Having said that....I will be surprised if TexasTech wins out. They still have to play Okie St., OU and Baylor (no big deal).....Then it will be Mizzou in the Big 12 championship. Tech looked like a team on a mission Saturday night, but I think they have a more difficult road than we do considering who they are and who they play. I still say someone will play PSU in the MNC game......I just hope and pray that it us.

I could see Penn St losing to MSU. I doubt it will happen, especially with the game in Happy Valley... but that game is far from a certain win form them IMO.

As for Herbie, I'm never going to agree with any talking head 100% of the time, but I've said on here before that I think he is the best in the business. Mark May has is pretty good as well, he has improved over time. It is a shame that Trev Alberts is no longer with them. He did a good job as well. Rece is great at what he does and Corso is just an entertainment prop these days, but Fowler and Holtz are worthless. Still those guys are better than anything the other stations have to offer, including CBS, which is almost unbearable.

Porter said:
I could see Penn St losing to MSU. I doubt it will happen, especially with the game in Happy Valley... but that game is far from a certain win form them IMO.

As for Herbie, I'm never going to agree with any talking head 100% of the time, but I've said on here before that I think he is the best in the business. Mark May has is pretty good as well, he has improved over time. It is a shame that Trev Alberts is no longer with them. He did a good job as well. Rece is great at what he does and Corso is just an entertainment prop these days, but Fowler and Holtz are worthless. Still those guys are better than anything the other stations have to offer, including CBS, which is almost unbearable.

I was kinda hoping against hope that Iowa might do something against PSU but I don't see it happening. Iowa's too inconsistant and I'm not willing to bet the farm they show up for that one.

Like I said though, I like Herb most of the time. I just can't get past some of the Big 10 stuff. And I agree completely with Alberts and Rece. Those two were far and away my favorites when Alberts was still on ESPN.

As far as Alberts, he's like doing...Fox now? I might be wrong on that. I'll see him from time to time when flipping channels out here and it seems like it's Fox West that I've seen him on. I know he was on Finebaum a while back but I can't remember where he said he was working.

porkchop said:
Porter said:

I was kinda hoping against hope that Iowa might do something against PSU but I don't see it happening. Iowa's too inconsistant and I'm not willing to bet the farm they show up for that one.

Like I said though, I like Herb most of the time. I just can't get past some of the Big 10 stuff. And I agree completely with Alberts and Rece. Those two were far and away my favorites when Alberts was still on ESPN.

As far as Alberts, he's like doing...Fox now? I might be wrong on that. I'll see him from time to time when flipping channels out here and it seems like it's Fox West that I've seen him on. I know he was on Finebaum a while back but I can't remember where he said he was working.

I think he is on FSN... but I never see him anymore, as I only watch games on that channel, not pre/post game shows.

Porter said:
porkchop said:
Porter said:

I think he is on FSN... but I never see him anymore, as I only watch games on that channel, not pre/post game shows.

I beleive you're right.

I believe the Big 10 is what it is; mediocre at best. Penn State is the class of that conference this year but all the other big cogs in that wheel stink. OSU is a poser and Michigan can't beat anyone. Wisconsin was a joke, Minnesota has beat everyone else in the league that sucks so their record is inflated. Michigan State is a joke as well with their being so inconsistent.

uagrad93 said:
I believe the Big 10 is what it is; mediocre at best. Penn State is the class of that conference this year but all the other big cogs in that wheel stink. OSU is a poser and Michigan can't beat anyone. Wisconsin was a joke, Minnesota has beat everyone else in the league that sucks so their record is inflated. Michigan State is a joke as well with their being so inconsistent.

Thank you for getting back to the topic. :lol: I'm not talking about PSU making it to the championhip game. I'm not referencing Herb's, "there's 5 weeks left, it'll all work out" comment. I was talking about the other segment where he mentioned a "percieved Big 10 mediocrity".

Of course the Big 10 is mediocre.

Back
Top Bottom